Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Smelly gloves

Poster: A snowHead
I have a pair of ski gloves which do not have removable inners and they are a bit smelly Shocked
Any suggestions on what to do with them?
They are only used as spare pair but they still have life in them so seems daft to throw them out.
I did think about using Fabreeze on the inside of them and hanging them out on the washing line for a few hours?

Sensible replies only please Toofy Grin Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Linds wrote:
.......Sensible replies only please Toofy Grin Laughing

I won't bother then wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Put them in the washing machine.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Linds, I believe bicarbonate of soda has been recommended for removing the pong from boot liners (you place a wrap of it inside the liner) - might also work for gloves ? Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Linds, A good dousing with Athlete's Foot/Crotch-Rot spray, 48 hours in a really good deep-freeze then a wash and dry in Milton Fluid.

To avoid future probs you can use on your hands a (very) little Vicks Rub or a spray with Bionsen Deo Total Body (a small spray bottle with crystals that you add water to)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We have a winner! The prize for SnowHead's uber guru of all things smelly is most definately Masque Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Linds, I wouldn't use Febreeze as I suspect it contains irritants. Use some Vicks rub like hand cream before you put your gloves on - repeat for a few days...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't fear the ...

... for helmets, gloves, salopettes etc on a warm, handwash cycle. It's good for just about anything ski related apart from boots, liners & skis. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon, Needs must when the Devil drives Confused
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Linds, er ...... wash them? I know it's old fashioned and not very uber-tech, but it generally works.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I always wash ours - never occurred to me to do anything else. I use Techwash.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I use Techwash.
Eh? Was that invented by Wallace and Gromit? Puzzled
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

invented by Wallace and Gromit?

Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"They're "Techno Trousers". Ex-NASA."

latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Laughing Well Techwash is the only product I know which doesn't mess up Goretex and other similar materials. Do you know of a different one? Ordinary detergent plays hell with them.
ski holidays
Never heard of it pam w, where do you get it?
ski holidays
Anywhere they sell good gear, normally. I buy mine in Filarinskis in Havant, but any outdoor gear (climbing/skiing etc) shop will normally have it.

http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=4
latest report
pam w, well there are these, and it seems they do an odour eliminator too

http://www.justsportandleisure.com/Category.asp?CID=53
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, yes, that looks like the same kind of stuff. It's worth using the right cleaners - my £50 T K Maxx jackets have felt the benefit.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Laughing Well Techwash is the only product I know which doesn't mess up Goretex and other similar materials ...

And that is why fancy fabrics and expensive designer sports clothing are a no-no in moffatrossland. Just like Barbour and Belstaff, people often think they're the dogs dangly bits but because you can't actually clean them, they just end up smelling like the dogs dangly bits instead Laughing A bit like a fine oak cheese board or a bamboo spoon set that you can't actually put in a dishwasher, what's the point Confused
snow report
pam w, FWIW I used Nikwax too on all my TKMax Jackets (now sold) but a friend of mine proudly showed me a bottle of this a few weeks back, and he said it was good, but I personally haven't tried. My salopettes (white) have cleaned up pretty good with Nikwax Little Angel

I do wash mine in the sink, as it saves having to clean out the washing machine prior to using the Nikwax.
snow conditions
Thanks for all the comments and advice Laughing
I haddnt washed these as they have some leather on them, will try the Bicarb and Vicks methods and see what works.
Thanks
ski holidays
Linds, my current gloves are down filled goretex with leather palms so not really keen to wash them even in tech wash, well not often anyway. So have been sticking a couple of the little Dryzone packs in them overnight after each use and when stored. So far, so good, they have got really sweaty and are not smelly after two seasons Madeye-Smiley

http://www.dampire.com/product.php?product_id=0000000008
latest report
andyph, Milletts sell it.
snow report
moffatross, of course you can clean them, it's just a case of using the right stuff. My jackets cost £50 but they've stayed beautifully waterproof and breathable for 4 seasons (that's ALL season, not just a week here and there) because I wash them correctly. wink
latest report
any liquid detergent is fine for gore-tex and other "fancy" fabrics
snow report
Arno, well actually I've just looked at the gore tex website and they say you can use powder or liquid detergent! So maybe I've been too fussy. However, they also recommend durable water repellant treatments to maintain waterproofness - and I've never yet had to use that, and some of my stuff has been washed loads of times, so maybe Techwash IS kinder. It's certainly more expensive. wink
snow conditions
pam w, i believe that the only issue with powder/flakes is that it can block the pores of the goretex but you can deal with this by running the garment through the washing machine again with no detergent at all

i've never actually kept anything long enough to need to re-do the DWR. my usual cycle is (1) buy cheap on ebay; (2) use for a season or 2; (3) sell on ebay and go back to (1) in the process. or in the case of trousers, they get trashed and I have to chuck em and buy new ones
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kitty wrote:
andyph, Milletts sell it.
Ta, in fact I've found half a dozen retailers in Chelt. But now I'm fascinated with the micromechanics of soap particles... Puzzled
ski holidays
[quote="pam w"]Arno, well actually I've just looked at the gore tex website and they say you can use powder or liquid detergent! /quote]

That's what I have gone by - but with an additional two rinses, making three altogether.
ski holidays
I had a smelly glove problem this year, too - we normally ski in the depths of winter so sweat is rarely a problem. Despite the leather palms, I tried the washing machine on gloves and, by the time they'd dried out, they stank more than when I started. I'm hoping that the smell will go away on its own by next winter.

Smelly gloves did have one benefit, though. Whenever I felt overcrowded on a cable car, I simply slipped my hands out of my gloves and the people around me just crept away to the far end Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Linds,The same thing happened to me. Don't just leave them without doing anything they get worse.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy