Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Impart your wisdom

Poster: A snowHead
Now i need some of your highly rated snowhead advice.... I have been skiing for a total of 4 weeks (2 weeks in my early teens) then not again until i was 20 and 21 with uni and absolutely love it. As i will have graduated by this summer and starting a career in this economic climate may not be the easiest of options ive decided to do a season. I have my own boots which i bought before the last time i went skiing, and improved my skiing no end (Fischer Progressor 100), so now i want to purchase some skis. As i can really only afford one pair of skis i want a 'jack of all trades, master of none' type of ski i.e all mountain.
Ive been looking along the lines of head im 78, 82. Movement spark, yakajam, Scott Neo.... you get the idea... (open to suggestions).
Now the question i ask is, when should i buy? I cant afford to buy at this moment in time, but come end of august, september time i should be able to. Will there still be 08/09 skis availible at discount prices at this time? When do the new 09/10 skis come in stock? Can anyone highly recommend any skis?

p.s Im 5'11'' (just) and about 80kg give or take a few.... Have only really skied on piste, but the few times ive been off piste successfully ive absolutly loved it, cant get enough of that lovely floaty feeling.... and i like skiing fast....

Thanks in advance.
Rich
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Twitchy87, Yup there'll be 08/09 skis still available next season. They'll be a little harder to find but just do some googling and you'll find the relaive sites. Filarinskis and conrad sports are usually worth a look.

The 09/10 skis will start to hit the market from August i think but if i was you i'd look at this season's because the exchange rate is going to make next seasons gear a lot more expensive in pounds.

I'll not start reccomending particular skis because there's plenty more on here who will do it better but there's my tuppence worth
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Twitchy, i'm a newish skier too. I've little idea about other brands in the all-mountain category, but can tell you about mine - Head Every Ones from last year. I've taken them out on three short trips since then, on piste, with the occasional brief foray off where it looks promising - satiny untouched stuff between aussie snow gums float my boat in particular Smile. Loving these skis so far. They are sold as 'all mountain', and a bit fatter than your avg starters. Fine in powder so far, although i've not tried them on really deep stuff yet. Guessing they should be good for a lot more than i've tried. Only complaints are they didn't feel that great on crud and found myself struggling on some really gluey slush i came across at Thredbo last year. But i'm still learning, so hoping that improvements in technique will overcome some of those probs.
The above notwithstanding, you're probly better off trying a few before you buy if you are an a position to do so.
All the best with the search Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My apologies for the prev post without breaks. The mobile interface i'm using is a bit limited w.r.t para breaks Sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wouldn't advise going over a 75 waist otherwise, as a newbie, you may well run in to difficulties getting them on edge when things aren't so fluffy and nice.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Twitchy87, I use the Neo which you mentioned. It will go anywhere. It likes to be skied hard and put on its edges on piste. It devours crud and floats well in powder. It is a true all mountain ski. Ex-rentals on sale at Edge2edge I'm your size and weight go for the 176. It skis short and I found the 168 felt too short. They are a little narrower and stiffer than the Missions and Punishers. The only place i struggled is on steep ice but I'm not good at skiing steep icy stuff (its next years aim to cope better with it). There are a few to be got at good prices.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alexandra wrote:
I wouldn't advise going over a 75 waist otherwise, as a newbie, you may well run in to difficulties getting them on edge when things aren't so fluffy and nice.

Don't agree with this - if its a one ski quiver and for a season something 85-90 ish would seem to be a better choice if not going the whole hot to a proper midfat. (Caveat assuming male non-midget)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob wrote:
Alexandra wrote:

Don't agree with this - if its a one ski quiver and for a season something 85-90 ish would seem to be a better choice if not going the whole hot to a proper midfat. (Caveat assuming male non-midget)

Then we'll have to agree to disagree! Wink Two weeks experience as an adult - I don't think he'll get the benefit of something wider.

Plus... how many beginners/intermediates do you know can carve something 85-90? And I mean carve, not push or slide the turns. Puzzled

I've seen plenty of people claim to have years of experience can't carve on anything wider than 70. They fall in to the same category as my earlier thread entitled "why do the brits ski like plebs?" Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
twitchy87, I would certainly recommend the scott crusades - 92mm so "proper" midfat, doing a season you will get to grips with them pretty quickly and you won't believe how much fun you can have in the pow with them. They destroy crud /chopped up stuff, pretty good in deeper stuff and hold an edge well on the pistes. Great all-rounders IMO. If you don't start the season on something like this, you'll be wishing you had by the halfway point...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm with Alexandra on ski width.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ref: ski width, I think keeping low 80s/high 70s could be a good compromise to be going forward with especially as so many of the 'all-mountain skis' are falling in to this category now. I definitely wouldn't rule out the im82s or skis only slightly over the 80 mark.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Twitchy87, I'd imagine you've still got some basic technique improvement yet to go and could probably do with spending a fair amount more time this season on piste. If you're fit, sporty and a fast learner you could well progress quicker than the average, but I'd still say that for your height/weight no wider than 80mm would be a sensible decision overall. Fat skis will hold you back on piste and that's where you need to be to learn solid fundamentals that'll ultimately take your skiing further. BTW I don't believe there's a consensus for what is meant by terms like midfat - to some they're between piste and fat, to others they're a way of saying that skis that used to be regarded as fat should no longer be, with WC slalom soon to be performed on obese skis an' all. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
112mm
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FlyingStantoni wrote:
I'm with Alexandra on ski width.

Me too and modesty aside, I'm tidy on a pair of carvers. Your at the top of your game if you can rip edge to edge on anything over 80mm.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
slikedges wrote:
Fat skis will hold you back on piste and that's where you need to be to learn solid fundamentals that'll ultimately take your skiing further.

Exactly! Good solid fundamentals on piste - then if he gets a few powder days he'll be able to handle his skinny planks - OK, not brilliantly but I believe it's sounder than the other scenario. There's no reason why you can't take skinny planks off-piste - just maybe not so much fun if you're 15 stone and it's 3' deep. wink
ski holidays
I dopn't think anyone's denying that a skinny ski would be better to learn fundamentals but IMV if I was buying 1 pair I'd go fatter and rent or borrow some std piste skis while I got up to speed. My understanding is that many shops are happy to supply deeply discounted rentals to seasonnaire workers in exchange for referrals. I assume the OP is reasonably young and if relatively athletic doesn't need to be constrained by the "I've been got 10 weeks of skiing under my belt and am confident on reds but not blacks mentality" as experience during a season is truly cumulative.

That said if you start off like a bag of spanners you'll end up like a bag a spanners as plenty of Brit seasonnaires are evidence of.
snow conditions
Yeah if you're doing a season, I'd probably buy the skis that i wanted to be using by the end of the season, and then just rent and do some lessons the first week or so of the season to get skilled up if required.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy