Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Utah Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Am planning a trip to most probably Park City next Feb. Rather than using a TO package, considering staying outside Salt Lake City and hiring a car to get around to the different resorts. Looking for advice on hotels in SLC or I'm told Sandy, just outside that would suit. Has anybody done this or have any suggestions? Help much appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We did the same as you in Jan / Feb this year: we considered renting somewhere in Park City but in the end we stayed in Cottonwood Heights, to the southeast of SLC. 40 minutes drive from the airport. 20 minutes to Solitude, 25 to Brighton, 25 to Snowbird, 30 to Alta, an hour or so round to the Canyons / Park City. Loads of facilities nearby, fast food deliveered quickly and cheaply etc etc. We stayed in these places

http://www.wfsa.com/properties/Cottonwood-Heights/index.html

and they were great - very comfy, good location. If you have any questions, pop them on here and then others can take advantage
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jollyroger,

In Jan we did a 10 day DIY trip. Stayed in budget digs in Pk City (clean & comfy) - where we skied Pk City, the Canyons and Deer Valley - then had a couple of nights in Alta (Alta/Snowbird skiing). We didn't hire a car - just booked transfers and used the free buses in Pk City.

Great trip - let me know if you want any further info. Just off out now (football then driving straight to the Highlands for Scotland's last day of the season at Glencoe tomorrow Very Happy ) but will be back on here by Mon evening to give you more details if you want them.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As above have said its a piece of cake - car worthwhile IMV for flexibility and driving to restos/ shops etc in evening. Wouldn't pick Park City out of the area myself for preference though if its vital you have a ski town vibe rather than a city suburb its the closest you'll get I guess.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks for all the responses, most helpful. talking to someone who is from SLC, they seem to ski Brighton and Solitude which I believe are smaller resorts. They live in Sandy which is on the outskirts og SLC as far as I can see and recommend that there is probably somewhere to stay there.

I'm still researching but on paper it sounds very attractive as we could go to Snowbird, Alta, Brighton, Solitude, Park City, deer Valley and The Canyons as they're all driveable as far as I can see. Not sure how it will work out cost wise as the flights alone with United are around $800 each at end Feb 2010.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jollyroger, On my only trip to Utah I stayed in Sandy, this was over 10 years ago so everything may have been rebuilt since then.

There were a couple of groups of the cheap chain motels just off each of the interchanges with I15 in Sandy/Midvale at W7200S and W9000S. The UTA buses up to Big & Little Cottonwood canyons stopped here too.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Don't forget you've got Snowbasin which has all the upgrades from the Olympics and Powder Mtn (name says it all) out of Ogden as ski options too.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Utah skiing is great. With a car you'll have lots of choice.

The slight conundrum is that while Park City is by far the best place to stay - it's fun - by far the best snow and conditions are at Alta/Snowbird and Solitude/Brighton, and it's a hike from PCMR to these places. Staying in Sandy is probably the best compromise, or just accept average apres (well actually, basically none) at Snowbird and ski yourself silly.

At least you don't have to pay to get in bars anymore Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

The slight conundrum is that while Park City is by far the best place to stay - it's fun - by far the best snow and conditions are at Alta/Snowbird and Solitude/Brighton,

We had 9 days skiing - every one of them wall to wall blue skies and sun - so had the same conditions at Alta/Snowbird as we did at Park City/Canyons/Deer Valley. Fantastic packed powder/groomed runs but not a scrap of powder to be found off piste - every inch skied out. Still had a great time - amazing steeps etc - but got a bit sick of the locals pitying us and telling us how good the powder was "last week." Have also found out since that virtually every skier who has ever visited Utah has skied chest deep powder Evil or Very Mad . Of course the day we got home there was a monster dump of snow Crying or Very sad - which hasn't stopped since.

Guess we were just unlucky - in fact it's the story of this season...... 7 countries, 34 days on snow and no powder days. Off to Tignes in a week's time.....Who knows?? Wish my mate was going - everytime he goes anywhere he's a powder magnet.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy