Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to Ski at Christmas - driving from UK

Poster: A snowHead
please tell me where to ski at christmas that is snowsure and quite a large ski area coz got 2 weeks holiday - like Tignes, Verbier and La Plagne, but already done them and want to go somewhere new.

need to be able to drive there from UK
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Les Deux Alpes?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
innerspaceservices, Les Arcs Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
innerspaceservices, We've skied Les Arcs at Xmas in 2005 and 2006

Easy drive from UK

Enough to ski on even in the poor year of 2006
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
went to les arcs at same time as la plagne - was good.

already visited the following

tignes / val d'isere
la plagne / les arc
st anton
verbier

looking for somewhere new - wot is 3 valleys like?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
3V's is excellent and if you liked Tignes then you would certainly enjoy it

I'm sort of in the same boat except I've skied mostly in France and looking for a change at Christmas, Switzerland, Austria any recommendations?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
innerspaceservices, Val Thorens would be superb at Christmas, links to all of the 3V should be open, or indeed for a more village style Christmas nearby St Martin de Belleville would be a very good bet or again La Tania which links into Courchevel/Meribel and the rest of the 3v. Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
St Anton was good, excellent lifts - plenty of snow and off-piste next to pisted slopes- but lots of bottlenecks and for some reason the bottom of the piste is not where the lifts are and neither at the top, so have to walk to get to the top of the run or to the bottom of the lift. Lech and Zurs is nice and quiet, but too many flat bits, it is probably the iciest place I have been, shiny ice is everywhere - nuvva problem is that there are about 6 ski areas and have to catch a bus, it is like chamonix where each area is small and not interconnected.

Verbier is good and so is the town - plenty of off piste, mogul fields and adventure courses - the mont fort glacier has the deepest moguls I have ever seen, they were like 3-4 metres deep - beat that.

heard Sestrierre is good - anyone out there reveal wot is like at christmas
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
innerspaceservices, WIth regards to Lech being icy I suspect you were unlucky. Anywhere can get icy but Lech is known for generally having good snow.
If you liked St Anton why not try Ischgl, fairly near with slightly more gentle skiing.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
is meribel mottaret a better place to stay than val thorens?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
innerspaceservices, depends what you're after. Not if you want to be sure of doorstep snow at Christmas.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ah, wouldn't mind some ski in/out - so are yer saying val thoren better - or different resort better?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Val Thorens would be a good choice of resort because there'll be plenty of snow, except in a very dire year (in which case lower reaches of the 3V will be even worse). Very easy ski in/out. Not very beautiful, but you can't have anything. Personally I don't like Meribel, and it's a great deal lower, as is La Tania, and maybe not such good choices for Christmas (though the last two Christmases have been excellent for snow, it's not always the case). St Martin is nice, but not as quick to get to the snow, if the lower levels are a bit dodgy. That's why I said it depends what you're after. For fast access to skiing likely to be snowsure at Christmas (though possibly also a bit bleak and arctic if the weather is cold) Val Thorens would be good.

Are you doing Christmas and the following week (new year) or Christmas and the previous week? The Christmas week is not likely to be so busy, and you could leave booking till a lot later. But New Year will be crowded and expensive. The pre-Christmas week would be cheap and quiet - but even more important to get well up the valley if you want to book in advance.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
going christmas and new year - do it every year and book about may time, know what you mean about booking new year, keep doing it earlier every year to be able choose apartment we want.. just having a look at the apartments, not bad price but everything one bedroom so far has the bunks in the bedroom, where we want the double bed in there.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Try giving Ischgl a go.
snow conditions
innerspaceservices, Quite a lot on offer in Austria and Switzerland including self catering if that's your main interest. It is as easy to reach as the French Alps without having to pay for tolls on the motorways. When I lived in the UK we switched for our trip at Christmas/New Year (always 2 to 3 weeks) and found it much cheaper on the whole.

We stayed in Gasthöfe that were recommended by the local Tourist Offices as they were always up for haggling over a longer term price. We found that Christmas was less frenetic as the locals spend Christmas with their families. The period from Boxing Day through to New Year's Day were often busier but never had the crush we experienced in the French Alps. You can ask about Ferienwohnungen (Holiday Flats) as well. And the idea of calling a windowless hallway with bunk beds a bedroom is not allowed as even holiday lets have to have a minimum space per head! I remember a Studio apartment we rented once in Avoriaz - no bed, just a bed settee and when that was folded out you could not open the bathroom door. It had to open outwards as the bathroom was so small! Never get away with that under Tourist Office controls in Switzerland or Austria!

Sue wink
latest report
Did Serre Chevalier this christmas, had a wail of a time. 250kms of varied terrain in and above the trees. Enough to keep you satisfied for 2 weeks, got the Milky Way next door for trips to Italy. Also Les Deux Alpes, Alpe d'Huez and La Grave are nearby.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 20-04-09 22:04; edited 3 times in total
latest report
oh yeah, forgot about serre chevalier - definitely worth looking at. went to alpe d'huez last christmas was quite good
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy