Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Klosters

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I realise Klosters doesn't appear much on this site, but if any of you are thinking of going I would highly recommend it. We've just come back from a week there, which started with sunshine and thin snow and ended with white-outs and a closed resort!

It is easy to get to. From Zurich it is a 2 and a bit hour relaxing train ride (on trains that run to time!). You can also arrange to have your luggage sent straight through from the airport to the resort, to save you lugging it around.

Ok, it doesn't score highly on nightlife/discos, but it does have some good bars - one bar is at the bottom of the piste back into Klosters (the bar before you cross the bridge not the one after) which is the place to be at the end of the day. (There was even a table top mini-strip by a brave young lass - we think she went prepared, I mean does anyone really ski in a lacy black thong or am I just boring?!). Although we were staying in a hotel we ate out at various restaurants ranging from a really good pizza place to a place called Wenegg (I think) which is patronised by HRH Charlie. Though the best meals were in our hotel - Hotel Veriena (which also does excellent breakfasts). It also has a pool and spa/sauna/steam room for relaxing at the end of the day. There is a good co-op store in the centre of town and one night we stocked up and had a picnic in the room.

It has been said the skiing isn't massively extensive, but kept me (improving intermmediate) and the husband (improving advanced) very happy for the week. There are 3 or 4 main skiing areas, but we stuck to the Parsenn/Gotschna area (gondola up from Klosters) which can also run down into Davos. All the red runs were superb and the lift systems (ok they do still have a few t-bars) were good with very few queues. There is a brilliant long run from top to bottom, piste numbers 17 and 21 (I think), ending through the trees and down to the aforementioned bar. You can also veer off half way down to Schifer for a run down through trees to a good restaurant and long bubble back up (long enough to settle a 3 course lunch!) The restaurant at Gruobenhalp is also excellent and the blonde lady owner cheerful and friendly. The whole resort seemed quiet and sometimes we were skiing with the pistes to ourselves.

Unfortunately, due to the massive snow dump, they did shut Klosters for the final two days of our holiday. However, not to be beaten and to save just hanging around shops/bars, we swopped to Langlauf skis. All I will say is you all ought to try it! Done properly it is harder work than you imagine (no rests on chairlifts) and the scenery the tracks take you through is utterly magical and peaceful. You are introduced to a whole new side to the resort. otherwise unseen.

I hired a ski instructor for two private lessons from SAAS ski school. A Scottish chap called Jim, an ex-army racing skier who has been going out there since the late 60's and is one of the few non-Swiss priviledged to be invited to live and teach out there by the town. He made a big difference to my skiing by sorting out small technicalities and comes highly recommended for everything from beginners to advanced off piste . He has also successfully taught children with disabilities and autistic children (I mention this because it is something he is known for and proud of). He is a great social guy.

Well, that's about it. But, suffice to say, the two of us had a fantastic time out there. snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Beverley, are you sure Jim's Scottish? I thought he was from Northumberland.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh! Ok, I thought he said Scottish. We joked about it because when he met me in the hotel reception (me having asked for an instructor with good English) he made me laugh by saying not to worry as his accent was a mix of Scots/Swiss!! He had a scousy rather than Scottish accent. Sometimes his accent reminded me of Aufweidersen Pet characters, so yes you are right!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nice review Beverley, somewhere i've always wanted to go. Must get around to it next season.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Beverley, I bumped into him last year when he was free skiing after his morning lessons had finished. Conditions were a bit grim above the trees and only the main gondola was running, but it was snowing nicely and there was only Jim, my wife and myself still outside I think.

We could carried on for a couple of hours but only because Jim could lead us to the start of the runs at the top - I couldn't tell where I was to be honest. But once down a few hundred feet the wind let up a bit and once in the trees it was great fun. Great bloke.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy