Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just found this... (disabled skiing)...UPDATED

Poster: A snowHead
Being new I thought I would take a look through all the forums and stumbled upon this in the disabled forum. I watched them both and thought they were very good and was about to reply when I noticed only 11 people had looked at the post so I thought I would post it in the main Piste forum.

ben.clatworthy wrote:
You can watch two reports about Disabled Skiing at http://www.benclatworthy.com/video

I had the opportunity to have a go in a sitski this winter and what a feeling it was! You can watch some on-board footage of a ski ski in the first report.

Both videos were filmed for www.planetski.eu and are going to be used next season.

Ben

UPDATE: You can now see a report by Ben Clatworthy on the Ski Club of Great Britain website about disabled skiing as well: http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.aspx?intStoryID=6381

duncan

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 17-04-09 9:54; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great film, thanks for bringing it to my attention. Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had already seen the films and thought they were really interesting and well done. I also wonder if many people have seen the details of the Disability Snowsport UK National Skiathon. It seems a really good way for individuals to help make the sport accessible to a wider range of people. Little Angel
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wow. Utterly inspirational. I know a possible candidate - I will show here this. Tying in a professional all day must be very expensive - but maybe competent skiers can also be taught to 'drive' the sit-ski.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ive seen the sit ski where they have mini skis on the bottom of poles that allows them to ski un-aided. I think it was for injured servicemen back from iraq or something. Cant really remember the details...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Twitchy87, so have I - there were also some superb photos in the February/March edition of Ski & Board.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
achilles, I just dont understand how they would get around resort though? How do people that rent snowbikes get around resort? Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Twitchy87, I guess the method of getting round depends on the degree of disability - and the snow conditions at the resort. Al lot of the time, I would guess a suitable car/van/SUV is needed. Must be tricky, even so. I wonder if anybody with experience can tell us?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ben Clatworthy probably can!? It's his brother in the reports so surely he faces the problems himself.

p.s Bn Clatworthy is popping up everywhere, now the Ski Club of GB main news story: http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.aspx?intStoryID=6381

Amazing stuff!!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 17-04-09 9:51; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Suppose he's planning us a report on getting around resort now! Confused lol
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Twitchy87, What do you mean by "around resort" ? Sit-skis go onto chairlifts just fine and the skis on the outriggers flip up so that they can be used like ski sticks to push along.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think he means around the town? Theres a photo of them on a chairlift in the article on Ski Club GB:

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.aspx?intStoryID=6381
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
funkydunck, Whenever I have been in the same resort as the disabled team they have used their wheelchairs to get around.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ahhhh i had only sen them once briefly in VT this season, and just presumed they couldnt get on chair lifts... Embarassed
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
From what I understand they use their wheelchairs to get around the town and even on the snow with big tires and that gets them to the piste at which point they switch to the sit-ski. Surely they need a helper though??
snow report
Twitchy87, I never knew either, till I saw the film clip. Quite cool isn't it. funkydunck, I think there's probably some volounteers...though I wouldn't have a clue!
ski holidays
Wow a whole thread about my reports! LOL

Anyway, Obviously most disabled people wouldn't go skiing on their own, they take someone to help them in the town and also often someone to ski with them as well. (normally the same person). The Uphill Ski Club, (now Disability Snowsport UK) help a lot of people with that.

My video report on disabled skiing is being re-edited for the Ski Clubs SNOWCAST in the next week or so as well.
ski holidays
Oh cool so that explains how they can get around.

A DISABLED SKIING SPECIAL if you like on this weeks Snowcast from the Ski Club: http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skitv/video.aspx?intCategoryID=3&intContentID=1561

Disability Snowsport UK ski on the Moon thing is advertised so do have a look - its rather interesting and of course more from Ben Clatworthy, so check that out too! lol
snow conditions
Adaptive ski programs are huge in the US . Nearly every major resort runs them.
snow conditions
When I stumbled on this thread I had to register to say how great Ben Clatworthy's reports on disabled skiing are. As I think many of you will agree disabled skiers don't get much coverage and having someone as young a Ben so actively promoting disabled skiing is great! And hes a good journalist too!!!! Smile
snow report
I did my CADS level 1 on Ski Le Gap

http://youtube.com/v/jTP9k_Pe-48&feature=channel_page

It was really good fun and i am using it regularly
ski holidays
stanton, I don't know any Oz resort that does not have a program.... but ours are integrated into regular ski school... only client and instructor need know it is adaptive - no 'special ski school' much better idea...
snow conditions
Disabled toilets availability must be a problem at times. I have seen them at places like the Schilthorn restaurant (IIRC) but they are not exactly frequent around the mountains.
dave_ski, welcome to snowheads snowHead
I agree with you about Ben's reports.
snow conditions
dave_ski,
Quote:

When I stumbled on this thread I had to register to say how great Ben Clatworthy's reports on disabled skiing are.
Hear, hear. And welcome to snowHeads.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy