Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Esprit in Plan Piesey

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Looking to book up for family holiday next year. I was hoping to return to Courchevel with Esprit - as we were very pleased with everything, but MOSTLY the excellent kids ski school nursery area in 1850.

Anyway, after calling Esprit today, I learn that they haven't yet signed contracts on the Courchevel properties - so aren't in a position to sell these holidays yet.

So I was looking at alternatives, and as I've been to Les Arcs lots with 'the lads' I'd be happy to take my wife and friends there and show them round this great resort.

I don't need advice on Les Arcs per se, but I would like to hear from anyone who can comment on the Esprit facilities in Plan Piesey - and in particular anyone who can comment on the kiddies ski lessons.

When I was in Les Arcs in March i did look at the Piou Piou area in Plan Peisey and thought it a little modest (compared to what we experienced in Courchevel). I am also interested in how the kiddies progress on the slopes - as to get up to the other nursery areas its a ride up the chair to the the higher nursery areas.... do they take 4/5 year olds up there?

Thanks for any comments you can give!

btw I have kind of discounted Arcs 2000 - due to altitude and relative bleakness... happy for someone to persuade me otherwise if you can tell me the kiddies ski facilities will be better Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My wife will kill me for directing more Brits towards Selva. We used Esprit in Selva for several years, until our kids were were old enough not to require their level of care. I've skied the 3v's as recently as last month, as a family resort, Selva knocks spots off of Courchevel, in my opinion and it's a darn site better value than 1850.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Richie_S,

Haven't used Esprit in Plan Peisey (have always opted for Ski Beat), but have been to the resort three times with young children. I would agree that the nursery area at the base of the chair lift is a bit limited. On our first trip, my then 4 year old (who had had a couple of dry slope lessons) only spent one lesson there and went up the mountain via the chairlift on day two (the nursery slope at the top is much better). It was a bit of a 'heart in the mouth' moment watching her going up the 6 man chair lift for the first time but they seem really well organised. Once they have progressed to the top area, they always ski all the way back down as well, which they seem to enjoy (a long, windy blue through the trees).

We have now used ESF 3 times and have not had any complaints with their tuition in Plan Peisey (though all of our trips have been in term time). The Esprit chalets are well located!

Given that we are noe considering returning for a 4th visit, it can't be bad!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Richie_S, I stayed in one of the Esprit chalets in Peisey in April last season. I know your question didn't request info on the accommodation but it is worth a mention as it's pretty good IMO, only downside being lots of steps depending on which chalet you opt for ! Back on topic, onaplateau's comments pretty much echo my 4.5 yr old's experience at Peisey ( his first trip ) in that he spent a day or two in the ( as you rightly say ) modest Piou Piou area, but once he had the basics sorted, he was off up the Peisey chair to the wonderful gentle area at the top. I actually spent a morning with my boy's ESF lesson, and I know that ESF can polarise opinions, but the instructor had way more patience than I would have displayed with some of the little darlings wink. He also seemed pretty adept at imparting his knowledge, in a second language, in terms that the children understood. So all-in-all a thumbs up from me. I am probably wrong, but i would have thought Esprit might have some say in the instructors that the ESF allocate to their lessons Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Richie_S, haven't used them, but have stayed in Vallandry close by.

With our 4-year olds, they were taken up on the lifts to the drag-lifts and bowl at the top of the Vallandry lift. This is a nice wide open area where all the beginners and kids practice to start with.

As they progress there is La Foret as an easy trip down, interspersed with parts of other easy blues.

The ride up is the usual system of throwing kids at passing adults and asking them to look after them - instructor at top and instructor at bottom to help with loading and unloading. I know that the riding with strangers can unsettle some parents, but seems to work
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Boris wrote:
Richie_S,
The ride up is the usual system of throwing kids at passing adults and asking them to look after them - instructor at top and instructor at bottom to help with loading and unloading. I know that the riding with strangers can unsettle some parents, but seems to work

At ski-school set off time in Plan-Peisey then they have a couple of lifties on the lift 'embarkation point' and one on the turnstiles. When a hoarde of kids descend then there is a dedicated liftie that sits kids down onto the chair, and then one at the top to help them unload.

If I'm sitting next to a kid on a chair - I'll always talk to them if they talk back - some of the younger ones don't say much more than 'oui' to my question 'c'est bon?' but some of the older kids can be quite amusing. One 7 year old English lass was super bright and chatty and even said hello when I skied past here on the mountain some 3 hours later...

I can attest that this years crop of Esprit child care staff in Plan-Peisey are kind, conscientious and hard-working. The job they all seem to enjoy is playing 'sweeper upper' on ski lessons (when the sun's out!) and the kids are up the hill then normally a child-care staff will ski at the end of the serpent and pickup any fallers, letting the instructor focus a little more on teaching which seems to work well.

I'll post up some photos on snowMedia zone in a bit that shows the nursery slopes area at the top of the lifts.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boris wrote:
I know that the riding with strangers can unsettle some parents, but seems to work

I'm a parent, and I quite like riding with strangers wink wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok, thanks all for some good comments.

Mollerski, thanks for suggestion of Selva, I will look into that!

onaplateau, if you're happy with the tuition you've received and returned again, that's as good a recommendation as any. My boy will be 4 and 2 months. He's already had a week in Courchevel. And we hope to have a few more lessons when Hemel Snowcentre opens (so he can remember what skiing is through the year, and to give Daddy an extra excuse to head to Hemel ) - so I imagine he should be up on the chairs second day or so.

It makes me happier knowing they do take the Spritelets up the mountain, I've seen the nursery spaces there and there's much more space!

I agree, it'll be a heart in mouth moment watching him taking the chair for the first time (bubbles and lobster pots in Courchevel!) - but if I recall the 6 man out of Peisey is equipped with extra fittings to the handle bars on the chairs for kiddies? Plus normally the Esprit spritelets have a 'snow ranger' or two to keep the kids together - so I imagine they ride the lifts with them.

(In Courchevel they had fitted an electro-magnet system to the chairs and the kids wear a waistcoat with a chunk of metal on the back - when the chair sets off, the magnet activates and the kids stuck to the chair until it releases - simple, neat idea I thought!)

Timberwolf, I think Esprit generally have a good relationship with ESF, they had a dedicated room in the School at Courchevel, is it the same at Peisey? Thanks for the positive comments on the accom... I'm told the rooms are 'large' and we'll be fine as a family of 4 in a triple with space for a cot. The ESF instructor we had this year was awesome with the kids - just on the right wavelength - I think he was slightly mad, but the kids loved him and he got the teaching lesson across!

bertie bassett, having followed your 'blog' hear all season, I wondered if you would impart some knowledge! My experience on two holidays with Esprit is of good child care staff - so its could to hear you see the same as an 'onlooker' so to speak. Now, you CAN tell me about bar choices... So I know the Squirrel - having ducked in there for burgers at lunch times - but any other bars in Peisey? - The Mont Blanc in Vallandry also referred to in reports, is that a generous walk from Peisey? (i know it by piste and lift, but never walked direct A to B!) Bear, in mind, with kids, the Dads are looking for a sneaky beer at kids tea time, then we'll retire to the chalet for dinner and wine! Some photos would be good, if you don't mind, as I can share with the other family we are travelling with.

Boris, I hadn't thought of that (the Foret) - that would be cool for the kids to ski all the way down that - bit much for the 4 year olds maybe (or maybe not!), but my friends 7 yr old will love the return back to resort!

Cheers all!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Richie_S, young ones can always ride the chair down - its fairly normal

Foret is long but easy - our 4 year old was happy on it

................and nicely tired so dad could get a few beers without complaint wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boris, cool! On both fronts!

Now, I am definately going to have to get back on the ski's for next years trip, as I don't fancy following my boy down Foret on my board!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Richie_S, I had exactly the same problem - I bought a set of blades for the afternoons skiing with the kids
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Richie_S, I saw those chairlifts last week, thought thats what they were for. How would it effect a camcorder if you sat there i wonder?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davef, they had a sign (not that 'in your face' mind you!) telling people with pacemakers not to sit in this seat!

(i didn't fully understand why - sure, I guessed magnets and pacemakers might not go well together... but a doctor friend of mine we were skiing with told me that the magnet would cause the pacemaker to reset - which would not be good for the heart!)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richie_S wrote:

bertie bassett, having followed your 'blog' hear all season, I wondered if you would impart some knowledge! My experience on two holidays with Esprit is of good child care staff - so its could to hear you see the same as an 'onlooker' so to speak. Now, you CAN tell me about bar choices... So I know the Squirrel - having ducked in there for burgers at lunch times - but any other bars in Peisey? - The Mont Blanc in Vallandry also referred to in reports, is that a generous walk from Peisey? (i know it by piste and lift, but never walked direct A to B!) Bear, in mind, with kids, the Dads are looking for a sneaky beer at kids tea time, then we'll retire to the chalet for dinner and wine! Some photos would be good, if you don't mind, as I can share with the other family we are travelling with.

The blanc and jimmys are really the only other 2 bars - both are no more than 10 minutes walk from say the bottom of the peisey lift, unless you are very slow. Jimmys is down the hill from the blanc in the main part of Vallandry, opposite the main vallandry lift (74) popular with dutchies...

However if its a nice day and you just want a quick cheeky vimto then La Vache in Plan Peisey is a great option particularly on a sunny evening as the terrace is fab..

I've got an 'unltimate TR' guide coming toghether, still got a few more photos to take for it but it should be up next week, unless I find myself enjoying the closing parties way too much...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks bertie_bassett! When a beer is in the offing, then slow is not on the cards!

Look forward to your ultimate TR guide! Enjoy the last days of your season, however will you integrate back into society!?
ski holidays
Done! Booked today for Plan Peisey for next Feb... took advantage of the preview prices from Esprit and the loyalty discounts!

Now, time to brush up on my ski skills at Hemel...
latest report
Good for you Richie_S,
ski holidays
Richie_S, nice.

The Foret blue will be fine for 4yr old. Our place is in 1950, and our daughter was 4 when we first skied over to the Squirrel on the blues from the top of Bois de l'Ours. As you are probably well aware, take your time and be patient, but they love it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy