Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I am a seasoned skiier but have only just discovered SnowHeads. Thought I would register and say hello.

I am half decent on a pair of planks. Love free riding and off piste. Just doing generaly stupid things which are bound to make me end up in A&E! I am currently rocking a pair of '07 Seths I got off eBay and have just chucked a pair of Marker 12.0 '09 bindings on them. Problem is I find them a bit sluggish in the turns off piste and I am looking for a shorter ski to use to get me in and out the trees a bit better.

I came across two pairs which I thought would be sweet:

http://www.skiwear4less.com/acatalog/copy_of_Gaspo_BISS_Short_Touring_Skis___Bindings.html
http://www.sloblu.biz/Blades-Wake-Skis-Water/M/B000P9Q75S.htm

Just wondered if anyone had any advice on these and if they fancied taking a half decent condition pair of Seths off me to fund them/ in exchange.

All advice welcomed.

Cheers

Jo.

*Just realised this is maybe in the wrong forum so appologies for that.
http://youtube.com/v/-PQw6KsusPg I saw that video and thought the manouverability looked pretty sweet.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JohnMcConnell, Welcome to snowheads. Blades for tree skiing. Hmmmm, not sure about that one, I don't want to insult you on your first post, but I coped fine in trees on my 183cm Movement gladiators. Maybe a couple of lessons to improve your technique might be a better use of your money?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
second ones in the "list" are water skis Puzzled Puzzled

I know its a bit slushy at the moment, but water skis and lace up bindings........
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Trooooooooll
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ho Hum...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I know its April but the 1st was a couple of weeks ago. Try either if you like. Its your funeral.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry I didnt realise the second ones weren't skis.

Apologies if you think I'm having a laugh, it's a genuine question. It was more for an idea of how they would perform comparatively. I remember seeing Shane McConkey (RIP) on blades and thought if he was using them then they must be pretty effective. Im 190cm tall if that helps. My K2s are 180s so I dont know how short I could get away with.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Corky, being as advanced a skiier as I am, I would hardly say clipping into shorter skis will kill me but thanks so much for your constructive advice.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JohnMcConnell, I'm 177 and I ski a 183 twin tip, effective running length is about 177. If you;re really an advanced skiier then Seths ina a 179 would suit you just fine. If you;re stuggling with them then I would once again suggest that technique would be a better investment than kit.

and for a comparison, blades are somewhat harder in powder / softer snow, they just don't have the flotation of a longer ski. In Utah in January, the youngest member of our group was on blades - aged 23, he'd been on blades about 8 years. He lasted 2 days before going out to buy some skis (rossignol scratch) as when the goign got soft (powder days, w00t!), he just couldn;t move.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
180s are just fine for skiing trees, particularly as you are well over 6ft tall. I use 186 twin tips for tree skiing without any problems turning. But if you really want something shorter that still floats, take a look at Icelantic skis. Their philosophy is to go short and fat, but no need to resort to blades or water skis!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
nbt wrote:
JohnMcConnell, I'm 177 and I ski a 183 twin tip, effective running length is about 177. If you;re really an advanced skiier then Seths ina a 179 would suit you just fine. If you;re stuggling with them then I would once again suggest that technique would be a better investment than kit.

and for a comparison, blades are somewhat harder in powder / softer snow, they just don't have the flotation of a longer ski. In Utah in January, the youngest member of our group was on blades - aged 23, he'd been on blades about 8 years. He lasted 2 days before going out to buy some skis (rossignol scratch) as when the goign got soft (powder days, w00t!), he just couldn;t move.

You know someone who has used blades in broad daylight? I was only planning on using these at night... That way people won't see my jester hat. snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Also I was looking at getting insured. I know with blades you're a lot more versatile to do various tricks.

Would this insurance cover do?

https://www.sportscoverdirect.com/action/insurance.py/quote_form?product=2&sportsgroup=2&sportid=262
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah! Go for the Gaspo's, they're SICK!! Really easy to ski in the pow (esp if you're a bit taller) and much easier to walk out of flat sections off-piste...might be ale to point you in the direction of some quality bum-board companies aswell
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
the_doc wrote:
Really easy to ski in the pow

Is that the same as gnar?

Would bum boarding help me learn to ski the blades do you think?

Cheers

Jo
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Since you don't mention skiing on the groomed I'd look at a softer ski (especially in the tip) which initiate a turn more easily and at lower speed as well as maybe something wider for better float though 98mm should be ok.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sod all the above suggestions - the ultimate off piste equipment for the very advanced skier is the bin bag. For increased performance I go for the Vango bivvy bag or Jewson rubble sack. Particularly good in tight trees. You may not see many people on them but that's becuas ethey are exclusive and need real skill.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy