Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Ok. So say I decide to go to Austria next year (and have the money to do so) which are the best resorts for nice long reds? The reason we have stayed away before is all the resorts look like they have limited runs. We don't really ski off piste. I like to do a variety of runs in a day/week. However, I do know that you get more for your money in terms hotel and maybe if i can get two beers for a tenner then Austria is the way to go. Cheers. H
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
HH, check out the Kitzbuheler alpen allstar card 7 ski regions under 1 pass for 204 euro for 6 days (this season) with1081 km of pistes....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
HH, after a few years spent in the larger French resorts our group decided on Austria this year. We went to Hinterglemm in February and Mayrhofen in March.

Of the two, I'd recommend Mayrhofen, I'd definitely consider going back there again. Plenty of decent length reds, comparable to other reds we've done in the French resorts. And we found the lift system to be so good that, once you finish one run, there are often a number of options to get you quickly to the top of other different runs. A very high percentage of lifts are modern, high speed chairs.

Hinterglemm was ok but I found the runs to be a bit shorter, and the two sides of the valley didn't link as easily as we'd hoped. Good skiing to be had though.

Plus, not being stung for 7 plus Euros a beer is a bonus, average was 4 euros for a pint, not great but good in comparison.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
HH, if you are happy to travel around a bit (using a good bus service and not too far) then Mayrhofen and other resorts in the Zillertal have some great runs (Kaltenbach is excellent). Saalbach or Ischgl would also be good resorts.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
HH, Lech/Zurs have some great long reds and also some 'ski routes' which are generally red in standard but are only sort of pisted (I know...) which make a great introduction to the gap between piste & off piste
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was very imppressed with Schladming/Reiteralm/Haus
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kitzbuhel should entertain you for a weekj not huge but v. pleasant. StAnton has plenty of interesting piste skiing; no real cruising, but very enjoyable and characterful.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
HH, I've only been to Kitzbuhel in Austria (oh, and Niederau as a child). I can thoroughly recommend the runs there. Even the blacks didn't scare me (other than number 3Cool and I'm a blue/red run kinda gal usually. For me it was a plnety big enough ski area for the week but you can buy a lift pass extension for the whole of the Ski Welt area too (accessible via a lift to Westendorf from Aschau)...

Kitz is a large and beautiful town as much as a world famous ski resort. There are hotels to suit every budget and great nightlife. I'd definitely go back there. The only downside that I have to report is that it's low and there's often no snow at resort level (there wasn't when I was there) but there is plenty of good skiing higher up...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Soll & Shafau region, going back there next Jan 2010.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Battlezone, the OP wants long reds - the longest run in the ski Welt is about 100 yds...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
HH, Serfaus is great, with a couple of 10km red runs and a lot of variety in the pistes, from high alpine to wooded areas. However, the hotels there aren't cheap (although everything else seems a similar price to other places in Austria) and if that is one of your priorities I wouldn't recommend it.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
HH, I've done the vast majority of my skiing in Austria and would reccommend two resorts - Ischgl and Mayrhofen, both of which I have been to in the last month. Both are red run cruising resorts with Ischgl generally having the longer runs and more kms of piste. However, while Mayrhofen in itself is only about two thirds the size of Ischgl in terms of piste length you do have free access on the Zillertal super pass to a number of other resorts. Zell am Siller and Kaltenbach both have similar sized ski areas to Mayrhofen and are only ten and twenty five minutes away by (free with a lift pass) train or bus. There is also the possibility of skiing the Hintertux Glacier which has guaranteed snow and some long reds. Particularly good is the Shwarz Pfanne which takes you down to Hintertux village. I was there on Saturday as the snow was much better than Mayrhofrn where it got slushy around 11.0 am. Mayrhofen also has the Harikiri, Austria's longest black. I wouldn't say it was easy but I did it last Friday and am still here to tell the tale even if I did have to change my underpants at the bottom Laughing As stand alone resorts Ischgl is bigger, has longer runs and is generally more challenging has wilder nightlife but it is considerably more expensive. It is also more snow sure.
Beer is typically €4 to €5 for 0.4 litres in Iscghl whereas I was paying €3.10 for Kaiser and €3.20 for the local beer Zillertaler for 0.5 litres in the 3* hotel I stayed in. By the way Zillertaler is probably the best lager in the world. As for accommodation I paid €60 per night in Mayrhofen for half board and €65 in Ischgl for B&B. Food on the mountain is also a bit more expensive than in Mayrhofen. At the Ahorn Hutte restaurant last week I paid €2.80 for tomato soup and a bread roll. I thought he must have made a mistake given some of the French prices quoted on here but no. If you do decide on Mayrhofen I'd reccommend you stay somewhere near the train station which also serves as the bus teminus. It makes access to other areas easier as well as providing easy access to Mayrhofen's gondolas as the bus service is excellent.
Both, in my view, are great places, so much so that I'm planning to return to both next year
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
red 27 wrote:
Battlezone, the OP wants long reds - the longest run in the ski Welt is about 100 yds...

The run from the Hohe Salve to Itter (in the Ski Welt) is 8.5Km Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
romeowner wrote:
HH, check out the Kitzbuheler alpen allstar card 7 ski regions under 1 pass for 204 euro for 6 days (this season) with1081 km of pistes....

Pointless unless you are going for more than a week and/have your own transport.

Each of those seven areas (with the possible exception of the Wildschonau and Alpbach) has enough skiing to keep most intermediate level skiers happy for a week, and the individual area passes are significantly cheaper than the Kitzbuheler Alpen pass.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
red 27 wrote:

Utter crap.

Just about half of the 128 runs listed are over 2Km in length, and there are at least 16 distinct runs over 4Km.

The longest listed is 7.8Km, but there are several listed which can be combined to give longer runs than that.
ski holidays
And from Greitspitz to Ischgl is 11km
ski holidays
Corky wrote:
. Mayrhofen also has the Harikiri, Austria's longest black.

No, it is Austria's steepest pisted black.

It isn't even the longest in Mayrhofen Smile (never mind the rest of the Zillertal)
latest report
HH, Ischgl (expensive but great apres), Lech/Oberlech/Zurs (very expensive but great food and very pretty) and Saalbach/Hinterglem (cheaper version of Ischgl) all meet your 'plenty of decent reds' criteria and all offer a good mix of decent length runs as well as off-piste opportunities if desired.

Lech/Oberlech/Zurs also gives you access to St Anton if you really need a lot of variety. Personal favourite would be Ischgl for the beer and music.

BTW 'expensive' here only means 'comparable in cost to the average French Mega resort'). snowHead
ski holidays
alex_heney, Sorry meant steepest. Definetly, not even the longest black in Mayrhofen. Black 17, the Devil's Run is longer.
ski holidays
jtr, alex_heney, We were at Soll 3 years ago with me bro (who's an above average skier), we were only on our 2nd week on the slopes. We met a couple that had been skiing for over 20 years. It was they, that were telling us how good some of the runs are. Me bro was telling me of a run that basically goes round in a bowl shape around the peaks(?) Do you know what I mean?
snow report
Ischgl for long reds.
snow conditions
Battlezone wrote:
jtr, alex_heney, We were at Soll 3 years ago with me bro (who's an above average skier), we were only on our 2nd week on the slopes. We met a couple that had been skiing for over 20 years. It was they, that were telling us how good some of the runs are. Me bro was telling me of a run that basically goes round in a bowl shape around the peaks(?) Do you know what I mean?

I think I know the run(s) he meant, although I haven't done it personally. I think it is the run which goes from the top of lift 2 to the bottom of lift 51 (7a + 51a). In the reverse direction, you go from the top of 51 to the bottom of 7 (runs 51 + 7a). I was at the other end of the Ski Welt, staying 250m from the Astberg lift, so I didn't spend too much time in the Soll area.
snow conditions
I would recommend Schladming as the 4 lift linked mountains have loads of scope for red run skiers. Agree though that the Kitzbuheler Alpen pass has masses of scope although much easier with a car as the ski areas are not lift linked.

Also love Ischgl, but it is more expensive, and I think for what the OP wants, Schladming would be half the price and just as nice.

D
snow conditions
My choice in Austria is Nassfeld. I have no idea why it's not so known, but it's one of biggest resorts in Austria. Sorry I don't count Ski Amade (Flachau, Reiteralm, Zauchensee/Altenmarkt, Schladming) as one ski resort.... if I need to take bus to come from one resort to other, this is not single ski resort for me. Lifts in Nassfeld are one of newest in Austria, and only other place where I would consider for week in Austria would be Ischgl. But it all depends what you want from skiing. When I go skiing, I go skiing, so pubs next to ski courses, and life on evening (I normally go for day only anyway) doesn't really play big role. If it doesn't for you either, then Nassfeld is ok. If it does, then forget Nassfeld, because there's nothing much happening there.
latest report
primoz wrote:
My choice in Austria is Nassfeld. I have no idea why it's not so known, but it's one of biggest resorts in Austria. Sorry I don't count Ski Amade (Flachau, Reiteralm, Zauchensee/Altenmarkt, Schladming) as one ski resort.

Perhaps not, but Schladming (including Haus, Hoichwurzen and reiteralm) has 117 Km of linked pistes without the rest of the Ski Amade, whikle Nassfeld only has 110Km.

It is certainly a decent size, but there are plenty of other resorts in Austria of a similar size or larger. The Zillertal for instance has three separate areas which each have at least as much, the Ski Welt has well over twice as much, Saalbach-Hinterglemm has way more, etc. etc.

I agree it is possibly not as well known in the UK as it deserves, although some of the main Tour Ops do go there.
latest report
My vote would be Zillertal but as I've not really skied anywhere else it's slightly pointless Laughing . I've skied Hintertux out of season on the glacier but there was some decent snowfall over the whole Zillertal region and it looked fantastic. I almost cried when I opened the Zillertal piste map and realised I wouldn't be able to ski it.
snow conditions
HH, For cruisey skiing I would pick one of these.

Obergurgl... decent area but quite apre in a small compact village. High
Schladming ... large area and pistes through the trees. Skiing tops out at 2000mtrs or so...unless you factor in Dachstein Glacier.
Saalbach...the circuit attracts people and the skiing is pretty good..decent apre which starts with oompah bands and umbrella bars
Ischgl.... has a bit of everything but they have their clientele ...so don't need to work hard to attract others. This may change next year tho.... high than the norm topping out at 2800mtrs
latest report
Lech

or for a shorter break Kuhtai http://lifte.itz.cc/index.php?id=2&L=0 - only 40 odd km of piste but they are mainly easy reds up to 3 km long. However they could have cut 200 km of pistes in to the mountain so there is loads of riding adjacent to or between pistes - if you do not normally do off piste but would fancy some very safe 'between piste' skiing whereby you can always see the lifts then this is the place to go - more of a big mountain than alpine cliffs so very safe. Also the village is at 2000 m and the top lift about 3000 m. Skiing both sides of the valley to make the views interesting and good for the morning/afternoon/ icy/soft issues easy to resolve. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The longest red I came across is 17km but it is in Swiss Davos. The return is by train.
ski holidays
The original poster wants nice long reds so Ski Welt has lots of options - stay in Scheffau or Söll as the après ski life is livelier if that's what you want. You can fly to Munich, Innsbrück or Salzburg and hire your own car to give yourself flexibility. If you are not tied to the main winter holidays you can get lots of deals by using the tourist offices directly. Most good hotels do what is called a "Pauschal Angebote" which is usually Half Board and ski pass.

Another area I would recommend is the Salzburger Sportwelt Amadé, staying in either Wagrain or St Johann-Alpendorf. Again super long reds and a very efficient modern lift system that is being constantly update. I usually stay in the Berghof (4*+) in Alpendorf and pay about 800 Euros for a week including the ski pass and half board, plus it is right opposite the lift system. Flying into Salzburg you can catch a train directly to St Johann and the hotels pick you up from the station.

St Anton is fantastic with excellent long reds and blues and a really wide range of accommodation. Fly into Innsbrück, Friedrichshafen or Zurich and travel on using the train - stops just outside (literally) of the main street. Lech/Zurs/Stuben are not as expensive as people think it they are. St Christof is because there is only the one 5*+ hotel there so they can charge what the market will pay - it is ski-in, ski-out though!

The Montafon/Silvretta area is also well served by the same airports with superb snow and is linked in with Samnaun in Switzerland and Glatur/Ischgl without the expensive prices.

I agree with Primoz that the Nassfeld area is a really good option but is not often in the UK TO brochures (Thank God to be honest). It is now interconnected with resorts in Italy and Slovenia I believe - or at least that is what they were offering when they bid for the Winter Olympics.

Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis are villages in Tirol and are well interconnected offering wonderful skiing.

You really are spoilt for choice in every sense, either with DIY options or taking packages with UK based TOs.

In all the areas they place a huge premium on customer satisfaction and repeat business. The Germans and the Scandinavians are the bulk of the customers these days and they want good quality and they tend to vote swiftly with their feet if they don't get it. So no self-respecting resort can hope to survive in this highly competitive market unless they provide what people want at acceptable prices. Most hotels are family run and have a "Wellness Area". The Berghof in St Johann-Alpendorf which I use, for example has 1200 sq. metres of luxury indoor swimming pool, jacuzzi, saunas, steam baths and fitness rooms, all free for guests to use. That is NOT uncommon by the way.

So you pays yer money and takes yer choice! rolling eyes There are enough of us "local" here to help with info if you want it. We may not be as many as have settled closer to home in France but maybe we are more discerning as well as adventurous wink

Sue Laughing
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, are you in St Johann then ? edit or is that your closest resort ?
latest report
Samerberg Sue wrote:
I agree with Primoz that the Nassfeld area is a really good option but is not often in the UK TO brochures (Thank God to be honest). It is now interconnected with resorts in Italy and Slovenia I believe - or at least that is what they were offering when they bid for the Winter Olympics.

Definitely not with Slovenia, since Nassfeld is about 30 or 40km west from Slovenia-Austria-Italy border. But there are few lifts going to Italian side of border if I understood border line correctly Smile And few more are planned, but I have no idea when these plans should come true.
Otherwise I agree... Thank God it's not marketed more Smile There's less crowd this way, even though I would say there's enough of it already, so that's probably reason, why they don't need to market themself more then they do.
ski holidays
Nassfeld info

http://www.ultimate-ski.com/Ski-Resorts/Austria/Nassfeld/Advanced?&redirect=1
snow report
Thanks all, it's looking good. DB, the piste map looks great for Nassfeld, will look into it a bit more. Now just need things to pick up here (£) so I can book!
ski holidays
rayscoops, No I am based on the border with Germany in Samerberg - hence the name -advantage - not more than 2 hours from any of the resorts I like Laughing And always ahead of the motorway jams Toofy Grin

Mostly I am about an hour max from my favourite resorts, although the Ski Welt (Ellmau, is only 30 minutes away)

Little Angel
ski holidays
primoz, I'm quoting what the blurb said in their deposition to the IOC - so they are (were) thinking of linking up some how at some point. I think they felt the idea of marketing as a 3 COUNTRY Games would help sell it if they couldn't afford the usual bribes Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Sue wink
latest report
As others have said, Ischgl, Serfaus-Fiss, Lech-St Anton, Montafon and Zillertal should all fit the 'long red' runs requirements. All great places.
snow report
alex_heney, you are a rude and unpleasant person and you've made me cry! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I like the Ski Welt, but all the runs are typically short - try going there instead of looking it up on igluski Laughing

All sensible suggestions point to other Austrian resorts for long reds
snow report
red 27 wrote:
alex_heney, you are a rude and unpleasant person and you've made me cry! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I like the Ski Welt, but all the runs are typically short - try going there instead of looking it up on igluski Laughing

I was there three weeks ago. rolling eyes

Yes, there are certainly quite a few short runs, but there are also plenty of longer ones.

Remember, there are about 8-9 access points (Going, Ellmau, Scheffau, Itter, Soll, Hopfgarten, Westendorf, Brixen), and for each of those, there is at least one (usually 2-3) ways to ski down from the top of the nearest peak in the area to the base. Which are fairly long runs. Plus there are some "internal" runs which are by no means short - run 2 from the top of the Zinsberg down to the top of the brixen gondola being one which particularly sticks in my mind.

For somebody particularly after longer runs, I would still probably suggest the Zillertal or Schladming (of those I have skied) over the Ski Welt, but not by much.

The other areas which have been suggested here are ones I only know by reputation and looking up details, so I couldn't say much about them.

Quote:

All sensible suggestions point to other Austrian resorts for long reds

So you don't think Samerberg_Sue "sensible"? - and she lives only 30 minutes away from the Ski Welt!
snow conditions
alex_heney, don't mind that it's only trolling for a response - there are a family of them jumping into threads all over the place - or maybe they are all one person rolling eyes Split personalities, all rude and offensive though NehNeh

Anyone who has boarded/skied Ski Welt properly knows that it has loads of long runs - however some people never really leave the neighbourhood of the TO's hotel for fear of finding - Shocked foreigners!!!! Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing

I thought the runs in Ski Welt were too long sometimes this year - especially going down to Brixen with Espri and his friend in that sugary stuff - remember? You beat me to the gondola by miles as that last stretch was 'orrible wet slush. My knees were screaming by the end of route 1 Embarassed Embarassed Definitely have to get the ski fitness back this summer ready for next season.

Espri and I are looking at the glaciers right now thinking about some summer skiing maybe. I have my dream to fulfil one day: Ski, paraglider, sail and dive on Midsummers Day - Kitzsteinhorn is still the best option for that little adventure.
Ride up in the morning, do a few runs, pick up the paraglider, ride to the top and fly down to Zell am See, then sail on the lake for the afternoon, finishing with a night dive on the walls just outside of the swimming area. Perfect day, what do you think?

Sue wink

BTW it's been a bloody long time since anyone called me sensible! Are you getting me mixed up with someone else now your back in Blighty Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy