Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

good parking at Gatwick

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

wasnt sure where to post this, and I've had no joy with the search facility...

Can someone point me at the company that do 'decent' parking at Gatwick ? Specifically, last year I used a company outside Gatwick, which was in a secure compound, with a 'ski friendly' mini bus service, where on arrival back, you call them and they send the bus out for you...

Ring any bells with anyone ? I think the word 'compass' might have featured too ?

Alternatively, anyone recommend the best parking at Gatwick ?

cheers all Smile

Toby
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
toby, where are you coming from to Gatwick. There is a very good bus service to Gatwick & also the train. Both of which are a lot cheaper than parking..........also very easy to use!

Have a search on the forum, i've used a car park at Gatwick before that was really good and put the name somewhere in the forum but i can't remember the name at the moment.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We're staying in a hotel nearby the night before includign 8 days parking for £70 altogether for 3 of us. Not bad when you've got the early flight to Barcelona the next morning!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dan,

Sadly its a 7am flight... and I dont fancy getting the bus or train that early to be there 2 hours before ! Coming from Oxon..

I did use the train last year and found it excellent, £14 instead of £50, and quicker
, but its just not on this time...

I've had a crack at the search engine, but it didnt turn up anything useful Sad

Nadenoodlee, which hotel ? Might be worth considering...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Try APH. we've gone with them at Birmingham and Gatwick and have just booked our parking for next month. About £40 for 8 days at Gatwick.

www.aph.com
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've used APH too, and they were fine.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
toby wright, its the travelodge, www.holidayextras.com is who i booked through
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
toby wright, You can get 'The Airline' bus from Oxford. They run through the night to both Heathrow and Gatwick. It's very good. I use them all the time now, get dropped right outside your terminal etc. I think it was about £22 on a three month return to Gatwick last time. They can be found on http://www.oxfordbus.co.uk/ this will give you all the details of times etc.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another vote for the Airline bus, though it occasionally takes a while to convince them not to charge you for putting your skis in the hold.

For a variety of twisted reasons I got lifts to and from Gatwick last week, and we parked with Courtlands, which seemed perfectly reasonably: £40+ for the week, less than 5 mins from the terminal, and buses every 20 mins. I haven't got a link, but the friend who booked it on the web found it easily enough
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
viv, it says in their terms (i think) that they wont carry skis.........doesn't say anything about snowboards though Wink

www.nationalexpress.co.uk is the site!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dan I thought their terms were like many airlines - they can't guarantee there's space, and they would like to charge you - but I've never had anything more than a friendly argument.

Given that before now I've had 2 pairs of skis and a snowboard in one bag, I prefer to stay away from discussing exactly what I'm carrying...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.nationalexpress.com/utilities/Luggage_policy.cfm#

I was wrong Embarassed , it was surfboards that they say they wont take........nothing about skis, but viv you're right about space etc. :

Quote:

We ask that each passenger only brings a maximum of two medium sized suitcases weighing no more than 20kg each and one piece of hand luggage with them when travelling by coach. If you do carry more than this allowance we cannot guarantee that we will be able to accommodate the excess baggage. Space can often be of a premium and we cannot predict what luggage other passengers on the same journey may bring.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dan, the airline bus is run by the oxford bus company. I think the national express just has an agreement with them with regards to booking. Also it's easier just to pay the driver when you get there, never had a problem getting a seat.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep, National express have no objections to carrying skis - I had to use their god-early (1.30am) service from Southampton to Gatwick (via Heathrow!!!) and rang to check and they said they don't mind carrying skis or snowboards. It's surfboards they object to, cause they're soooooo bloddy big & have fins wot cause problems in the coach hold space. As well as skis I had a boot bag, and a reasonable sized suitcase & they were accomodated fine. In fact there was plenty of space on board for me to pack in my whole house contents. If you're needing to use the bus then chances are you're travelling at god-awful hours and it's unlikely at those times that the bus will be pushed for hold space.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I second the site that Nadenoodlee, recommends, holiday extras. I've used them numerous times in the past and usually found a deal where the hotel is virtually free. In fact I've found such good deals that even living an hour away from the airport I've stayed the night before at a hotel.
ski holidays
I too use APH, very good. But remember if you're an AA member you get a discount if you go in via the AA web site i got 8 days parking next week for about £30.
snow report
Hey, that's better than the SCGB discount - I paid around £36 for APH last week and everything worked fine, though the carpark is about a 10/15 minute transfer away.

Normally we would have used the train but the last one back to Southampton is 20.50, we were due to land at 19.30 and with Gatwick's current slow baggage handling we couldn't afford for the charter flight to be even a few minutes late, so we played safe.

That said, First Choice Airlines were actually early so we could've got the train with 20 minutes to spare, however driving meant we were home an hour earlier.
snow conditions
I used APS meet & greet via the AA. Costs a bit more but so conventient - no lugging luggage to the bus, no loading/unloading. And on my return I drove away from arrivals 40 minutes after we touched down.
snow conditions
A word of warning about the 'meet and greet' services! I booked with one company (shall remain nameless at this point but can be found on the snow extras site) which offererd this service for £48- Fantastic for me as I was travelling alone and wanted to cut down on the hassle of lugging ski's/ bag etc. I was thoroughly delighted with the service until half way down the M4 I noticed that the money I had hidden away for the severn crossing had disappeared along with all my loose change bar 5p in coppers!!!!! Needless to say I have taken this up with the company and if they do not respond to my letter shortly I will be referring the matter to the police!
ski holidays
The last couple of trips I've been on I've used BCP.Very good. Secure parking, busses every 10 mins, no problem with luggage etc and they're about 10 mins from Gatwick. I think this time it's cost about £40 for the week.
A friend of mine stayed at an hotel and used the parking option, because the carpark isn't secure some little scrote had had a pop at breaking into his car.....something to consider if parking at an hotel!
latest report
Thanks for all the advice guys Very Happy

I've ended up booking an APH car park in advance with my AA discount Smile

then getting a room at the gatwick travel lodge for £40 between two of us Smile

So £70 all in for a weeks parking and an overnight stop in the hotel to lesson the 5am checkin shock Shock

Geneva here I come snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy