Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boris's rambling Vallandry Easter trip report and pictures!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I’m writing this more for my own amusement than anything else, but if it is useful or amusing to anyone else so much the better wink

I don’t think I’ll ever work out the reasons why, but Mrs Boris and I had pretty much decided that another trip was a must whilst driving home from January trip. It took about a week before we thought, sod it let’s go.
Cool So the Easter adventure was booked.................................

Friday
The original plan was to drive to Vallandry in one-shot, leaving home at about 3am. But a combination of “working from home”, yanking the kids out of school at lunchtime and out and out skiving meant we headed off early afternoon to get the worst bit of the journey done i.e. the bit in the UK!

At long last Premier Inn’s have seen sense and realised that some people have more than 2 children and have started opening newer hotels with connecting rooms. So we managed to avoid a stupid ‘o’ clock start and have a pig out at a Beefeater and a peaceful night in Ashford.

Will use this hotel again as is so close to Eurotunnel and (finally) we can all have a room. Eureka Park in case you’re interested.

Saturday
Although the worst bit was done, it was still a long-trip ahead of us and things were not getting off to a good start. Despite arriving at 6.40 for a 7.20 crossing, we had already been bumped to a 7.42 train. On enquiring, it appeared the delay was due to a train being cancelled as a coach had managed to drive into the side whilst loading Shocked

Still (I thought) only 20 mins delay. However, worse was to come. Sitting on the train, 7.42 came and went, as did 8.00, as did 8.15! Finally they announced that there was a signalling fault and we got going at 8.30. A longer than normal crossing, due to signal issues, meant we arrived in France soon after 10 – an hour behind schedule rolling eyes

I still think the Eurotunnel is the best way to cross to France and will always choose it – but when they get a bit behind schedule it really seems to go wrong.

Once in France though, the rest of the drive was pretty smooth. Only really had one long queue, which was just south of Troyes due to roadworks. All the tolls around Lyon etc were plain sailing and we arrived in Vallandry a little after 7pm.

Booked this trip through CIS Immobilier – have to say very impressed with them. Lots of help (in English) in weeks prior to the trip, would we like towels, linen etc and when we got there was straightforward to get key and our pre-booked lift passes were ready – at a significant discount!
Apartment was small and basic, but fine for the 5 of us. Couldn’t have asked for a better location as it was slap bang at bottom of pistes and right in centre of village.

The view from the window.

Sunday
Hmmm – what on earth to do today? I know skiing snowHead snowHead snowHead

As the kids all had lessons in January, we decided to save ourselves a little bit of money and ski en famille for the week. For the first couple of days, we also had some friends join us who were out for a short trip. They had only skied for 1-day in the previous few years. A fairly gentle day was had by all, getting our ski-legs back, nothing more adventurous than a play around on the runs above Vallandry.

The highlight of the day was that Mrs Boris decided it would be worthwhile to purchase a helmet - something she was very grateful for later in the week when someone pulled the lift bar down on her head Toofy Grin

Monday
Got ourselves a bit more organised and were out on the lifts early. Headed over to Trans-Arc express and spent most of the day cruising the runs above 1950/2000. Sat out in the sun and had a reasonable lunch from one of the on-piste huts – pretty good value as well €25 for a slice of pie and drink for 5 people.

For those of you with the 2009 calendar – the lovely February picture was taken outside this hut. This is the updated picture.

Snow certainly like porridge on the way back to Vallandry – the kids adopted the approach of straight-lining down the piste! They’re all so light that anything else meant they stopped dead.

Tuesday
A bit of a disaster overall – the kids were all tired and bickering after the big trip the day before, so we soon headed back to the apartment for an early lunch. During which I managed to dangle the wire from the coffee machine onto a hot player and basically blow it up. Bonus points to CIS who quickly sorted out replacement and only charged us €20.

The plan was that I would take the boys out in the afternoon and that Mrs Boris would take daughter for a stroll around shops. However, this went pear shaped very quickly when we set off, only to discover that another child had walked off with Matthew’s skis. As Ski Set close for lunch until 3pm, we decided to write off the day and all have explore the area.

As it turned out we had a great afternoon and took the ‘bucket-lift’ down from Plan-Peisey to Peisey and had a stroll around. Lovely old village and somewhere I’d certainly consider staying – ok not ski in/out but cheaper and easily connects to main lift system.

Wednesday
Decided to have a trip over to Villaroger as neither Mrs Boris or kids had ever been over that way. Decided against the Aguille Rouge route from the top, but hopped on half-way by taking the lift out of 2000 and then followed the blue Lys run. Was a lovely cruise, although hard work for me as had to pull the youngest as they just hadn’t the bulk to keep going in the very sticky snow!

Was funny at end of run, as ran out of snow! Skis off and walk the final few yards into village and back to lifts.

Best snow certainly on the upper slopes!

A lovely village and great views, but not a place I would go again if I was hungry! We thought we would treat ourselves to lunch at La Ferme – wrong! I knew we would be too early for lunch, as it was 11.45, but thought a coffee while we waited would be in order. However, things did not start well. Within seconds of sitting down on the balcony, we were told to move as the table was reserved. How we were meant to know I have no idea, but we did move to the suggested table.

I politely asked whether we would be able to have lunch and was told yes, but would need to wait a few minutes. After 15 minutes of being completely ignored, my patience snapped and we upped and left. Hungry! Evil or Very Mad

I have read many positive reports here of La Ferme, but I for one won’t be going back. I am well aware that it wasn’t going to be ‘fast-food’ and was more than happy to have a long relaxed lunch, but to be treated IMO rudely from the start and then ignored has put me off.

Anyway, a few long slow lifts and we dropped inot 2000 and had many large pizzas.

Fortified by these I took the kids up the cable car to the bottom of the Aguille Rouge lift and had a long cruise back to 2000 before heading back to base. A great day’s skiing and the kids were absoulutely shattered. I’m glad I went mad the day before going and bought a portable DVD player as this was ideal for letting them chill out with the Kung Fu Panda

Thursday
Off exploring again – looking at the Piste Map, I realised that I had never been to Arc 1600 so decided that we would explore over there. What can I say but it was a revelation - a wide variety of pistes, and they were all empty!

Like Vallandry, it would appear everyone heads high and ignores the lovely slopes lower down. We had a great day and would seriously consider staying there on a future occasion.

Friday
Last day – sniff. Sad

Decided to play over at 1600 again and had a few trips on the Mont Blanc run, which given it was Good Friday was packed!

Went for lunch in Arc 1600 and then decided to take the kids to the Ice Grotto at top of Trans Arc. More to give them a short break from skiing, as they were getting tired, but we all really enjoyed it. If you’re going past, is well worth the few euroes each to explore.

Down our favourite run, where the kids can play off the side on bumps and in trees and that was it - over.

Saturday
Quick stop at bakers for croissants and we were off – no queues to speak of until roadworks at Troyes. Eurotunnel made up for the delays on the way out by letting us on over 3 hours before scheduled time and home by 9pm.

14 hours door to door with the kids being very well behaved – thank heavens for Audio Cds – a combination of Harry Potter, Famous Five and the world according to Humphrey kept them entertained all day.

A fantastic trip – time to start planning the next one! wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice trip report and photos!

For future reference if you do decide to give La Ferme another try, there is a self-service bit down in the basement. Collect your food and bring it up to the tables to the left of the bar as you enter the restaurant.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Love the kids "skiing" on the grass! Glad you all had a great time...now is the bar open yet?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

For future reference if you do decide to give La Ferme another try, there is a self-service bit down in the basement

Cheers rob@rar, may give that a go
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great picture of you in the kid's cage wink Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Great report and don't all the little Boris people look lovely!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice one Boris, there's nothing like a happy family to justify the expense Very Happy

Only one question; who's the ugly lift attendant your kids are trying to get away from? wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boris wrote:
Quote:

For future reference if you do decide to give La Ferme another try, there is a self-service bit down in the basement

Cheers rob@rar, may give that a go

done that most times with mates when doing la ferme - even had one mate who insisted on going to the restaurant where 'hammond raced too on that top gear challenge...'

I didn't know there was a 'waiter served' option...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boris, Great report and pics. Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boris, Great read, makes me think I should write something but then I think of all the hard work it must take and change my mind.

As for La Ferme, I agree with you. Since last season it has gone down hill big time. I will not use it anymore either. They are rude and the food is not that good anymore. Le Chalet du Solliet on the way down to the Village is much better, quick and very friendly.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowcrazy wrote:
Boris, Great read, makes me think I should write something but then I think of all the hard work it must take and change my mind.

As for La Ferme, I agree with you. Since last season it has gone down hill big time. I will not use it anymore either. They are rude and the food is not that good anymore. Le Chalet du Solliet on the way down to the Village is much better, quick and very friendly.

but bloody expensive for a chocolat chaud - 4.90 euro!! - didn't even pay that much in 1950 the other day..
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bertie bassett, yup, as lovely as it is I think the Solliet is the most expensive place for hot chocolate in the resort, considerably more than the 3€ that you pay in 1950 (and that's a place which provides free wifi).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great report and photos, well done. Have enjoyed Les Arc the last two years, a really good all round resort.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy