Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Polite queuing, class and nationality

Poster: A snowHead
SteveM, - you weren't in Les Contamines a few weeks ago were you? no, that chap was French, but there was no-one anywhere around, OH and I glided up to the two outside seats on a 3-man lift, and from out of space this guy stormed through and sat between us.... looking from left to right as we conversed rather as if watching the tennis at Wimbledon. And when I looked up and down the lift there was not a soul before or after us.

At the Mossettes lift out of Les Crosets a couple of weekends ago there was a large queue - all perfectly amicable - and then on the right hand side two large men whizzed in, making a big show of stopping otherwise they might not have been noticed, and really attempted to barge in. Frenchman with his family in front of us did all he could to blockade but the first of these miscreants just stepped right round the pass readers.... his friend was well and truly blocked though behind us and some others. It all seemed to come to grief a bit later on as my OH saw one of them on the Abricotine in the aftermath of a tumble together with a woman and an ESF instructor - words were being said.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Worst queues in the World are on the Northern Line .. which proves that foreigners are the problem 'cos noone speaks English.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JimW,
Quote:

One things that irritates me about Les Arcs ( what? surely not..???!) is the cost cutting by the SMA and their pass readers

I think you may find that the SMA no longer has control over the expenditure, The Compagnie des Alpes now owns 97.11 of SMA.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 15-04-09 8:51; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno wrote:
I saw a fist fight break out between two women when one tried to shove her way into a (not exactly over-crowded) bubble on the top stage of the La Grave lift yesterday. one of the protagonists was British, not sure about the other. amusement and bemusement in equal measure amongst the onlookers

\
that is astonishing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can not believe that there is a thread running based upon the genralisation of nationality and class Shocked ............. but there is bit of a pattern developing here, ‘johnny foreigner’ trying to get on to a lift as fast as possible to get some skiing done, and middle class Brits faffing around in the queue whilst they wait for Giles and Clarissa to arrive – quality classic snowheads gold Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
worst lift behaviour in recent years from probable upper middle class English youth- one skied into me at the end of a lift line- knocking me over ( which is not easy as I am quite dense) said 'sorry' then laughed to his friend...now no real problems for me in Europe- apart from slightly posh Brits 'horrays'

10+ years ago very different with a general melee at the bottom of lots of lift queues dominated by Europeans with bemused Brits flailing about miserably.

rayscoops, the class issue is obviously aimed at the Brits as most posters here will only be able to guess at this for other Brits- who here could easily differentiate a BCBG French family from any French family- and it isn't about clothes/money
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SteveM - suffered a similar fate last week as I slipped onto a 3 man lift between what I thought were just 2 random frenchmen, only to find out they were best of buddies and intent on meaningful conversation. After a schoolboy french apology and a cheery response that I was a "telesiege voleur(!?)" we actually enjoyed a decent if somewhat confused conversation to the top. Entente cordiale alive and well!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The worst place I have been for bad queuing is Saas Fee, when all the ski teams are there in October and it is just one big push for the gondola and then even worse for the train!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I( was quite surpridsed at the rudeness in the Dolomites. The Italians are too busy trying to look cool to be polite.
One very chic lady got very cross with one of the little kids that was with us when she stumbled not having seen the low level approach of the kid into the gondola. She shouted and whinged....and then turned and clattered into me. Not a worsd of apology left her well painted lips. I looked her in the eye, smiled=, and then gently shook my head. This did nothing for her demeanour.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman, did you show her your carrot? Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yoda, No, but she did have a quick glance at my marrow.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman, The diets not working then? Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have to say that this year at St Anton, the queues were much more mellow than I have ever seen before. Hardly ever saw "aggressive queuing techniques". No idea why this year should have been different.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
look we all know the score .. the average white middle class englishman will accept all sorts of abuse, will take a 'pushing in' from an east european.. will smile at the pretty italian primadona who skips the Q.. will nod knowingly at fellow englishmen as a herd of germans pile past people with ultimate rudeness.. will laugh at drunk dutchmen trying their best to get to the front.. (a front they seemed to ignore in 2 world wars) .. on it goes.. the loud fat yank.. the frog youths.. the school trip from some posh school in the midlands.. blah blah blah.. but.......... one day.. after a huge booze up.. with a hangover and an attutude, they will eventually crack.. one errant push or nudge will send 'surbiton man' over the edge.. and we all know the the recipient of decades of social repression will be the deaf blind kid you didnt notice , as you turn a finally crack a person straight in the chops for bumping into your missus for the 15th time that week ....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CANV CANVINGTON, uncanny. You have perfectly described the behaviour of a long-time skiing companion of mine, who is a classic english gentleman (although descended from Nelson, but I guess he can't help that wink ). A few years back in Tignes we were in a queue with a couple of Italian guys behind us, they kept nudging forward and as we had nowhere to go they ended up on the backs of our skis every time. Eventually my friend just turned around and with a "stop f***ing" pushing shoved one of them in the chest and sent him sprawling. The look of amazement on both their faces was a joy to behold Laughing
snow conditions
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
one errant push or nudge will send 'surbiton man' over the edge.. ....

Lay off 'Surbiton Man' !
snow report
My experience - France every bug and his wife will ski/ stomp/ clamber over my board in a queue. One trip to St Anton - no such trouble.
Andorra - everyone too drunk to care
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy