Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who skis when over the equivalent of the UK Drink/Drive level

Poster: A snowHead
Interest debate going on regarding safety on pistes these days, but how much of it is due to sliders having had one too many beers/wines etc ? I see many with a big beer at lunch time and also lots of skiers having an afternoon on the pop before skiing back down the mountain.

Considering that most skiers are quite dehydrated with the all the excercise they are doing, I am sure than one strong large continental beer has quite an adverse impact on coordination.

Does being dehydrated make a difference on alcohol levels in the blood in comparison to a drinking the same amount when not dehydrated?

So who will admit to skiing after a few drinks when in similar circumstances (not on the slopes) they would not drive after the same amount of alcohol, or take to the slopes the next day when still under the influence?

I do not as rule drink alcohol during the day when boarding, but i might have a couple of beers before riding back to the bottom of the mountain - maybe at KK in St Anton or the Plein Sud / bar in VT when on the EOSB .

What is worse - jumping off a few rollers on the piste or skiing whilst, for example, over the UK drink drive limit ?

Discuss
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rayscoops, May have a small beer during the day but quite enjoy a couple of large ones whilst the lifts are closing. The subsequent deserted ski down is one of skiings great feelings IMHO
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rayscoops, how many controversial threads do we need at one time? Smile

Who wants to be first with the "I'm a better skier/boarder when I'm drunk than you are sober" post - any takers?!

Like you, I rarely drink when I'm on the mountain but it's not really out of any sense of responsibility - I just never fancy it. I'll occasionally have a small lager or a vin chaud but that's about it. But yeah, if I was breathalysed on the first lift then I might be in a bit of trouble I guess!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman, not something I've done in a long while but that is a great feeling (with or without the beers).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Max one small lager at lunchtime and a vin chaud last thing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Usually have a pint with lunch but that's about it. Might then have a Vin Chaud mid-afternoon (tend to have early lunches) but that's the sum-total. Don't really drink much when I'm away because A) it's expensive and B) I usually get rotten hangovers.

I probably do board when over the DD limit but I'm naturally cautious on the slopes and tend to hang back from people, limiting the chances of a crash
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
this will be interesting, i seem to remember people talking about using hip flasks during the day, as well as drinks at lunch etc.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't drink in the daytime. I may have a couple of measures of wine or spirits in the evening...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I haven't had enough or anything really whilst skiing to be over the drink/drive limit but there are a couple of times when I have probably still had a substantial amount in the blood from the night before if I am being honest, doesn't take me long to figure out I probably shouldn't be sliding and go for a nap.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't drink alcohol at all while skiing and only in moderation when back in my base in the evening. Most people get a good laugh out of me as I drink the Alm milk which is cheap, cooling and also a good food replacement.

I do think people do get dehydrated and swallow a cold beer or two, forgetting that most European beers are sometimes double the strength of UK beer. Whereas in the UK on a hot thirsty day you may limit yourself to a "half" because you are driving, in the Alps on a gloriously hot late season day a small beer in most German/Austrian/Swiss mountain huts it is a pint, coupled with the higher alcohol content ........... whoops! Shocked

I now have a Camelback thingy that I am drinking dry in a day's skiing - not filled with Boddintons or a similar beverage, just tap water with a dash of lime cordial. Then I enjoy drinking my milk slowly at lunchtime.

I have read that if you are involved in accidents and it is found that your blood alcohol level is too high, then some insurances are not paying out. As they get the hospital reports and bills, I can envisage that happening. But not too sure how accurate the reports are.

wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Usually have one or maybe 2 at lunch, then a couple before skiing down to the Apres Bar
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have never drunk alcohol at all while on the mountain. I usually have 2-3 large beers in the evening, although I have very occasionally had a few more - enough to find out that a quick ski run is a good hangover cure Smile

Like Sue, I carry a camelbak, and usually pretty well drain it during a day's skiing (1.5L of plain water).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Had 3 beers and 1/2 a bottle of vine in the p**sing rain at Villars in Jan - ski like a man possessed in the afternoon Toofy Grin Only about 4 other punters on the whole mountain but I must have been borderline over the DD limit wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nothing at lunch, but might have a splash of rum in a hot chocolate if the weather's cold during the day. End of the day I will occasionally have a small beer or a vin chaud (moreso at a snowHeads Bash than a regular habit) but other than that it's water only. I used to have a couple of drinks at lunchtime, and felt a better skier for it in the afternoon, but not any more. A lunchtime drink just makes me want to take an afternoon nap Embarassed I doubt I've been over the UK drink-driving limit because of what I've consumed during the day, although on a couple of occasions in the last two seasons I've woken up drunk enough to accidently walk into a wall so I guess I'd have been over the limit then.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Franz Klammer is understood to have won his last Hahnemkann DH after a night on the sauce and without actually making back to his bed. Around the last Olympics, Bode Miller said something about a few beers improving his skiing performance.

Personally, my body is screaming for water up the mountain and I save the swilling for the apres. Like others, the most I'll ski drunk is that final bit down from the Mooserwirt (along with every other drunk so all is fair game)... hate that when you can see your skis but your legs are numb and you can't hear anything apart from your own heavy breathing.
snow report
alan empty wrote:
... how many controversial threads do we need at one time? Smile

Aye, I know what you mean. What with the 'is it better to wear goggles or sunglasses ?' and the 'what is the correct way to hold poles ?' threads, this piste is just getting too dangerous. wink

Anyway, beer is moreish and for me, it quickly turns a quick refuel into a waste of prime snow time. It also both dulls my reactions and drains energy so since I am a control freak who enjoys filling my skiing days with challenges, beer remains strictly for after ski time. Cool

Incidentally, I have no problem with p1ssed skiers per se, just so long as the stupid assholes can go kill themselves quickly before sharing any mountain with me or mine. Toofy Grin
latest report
Quote:

Who skis when over the equivalent of the UK Drink/Drive level

On the family holiday, chance would be a fine thing.

Sans famille, every morning...
ski holidays
I find it easier to hit other skiers when sober Toofy Grin
snow report
Boris, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
At lunchtime I quite often have a 0.5litre Radler (aka Panache) = Shandy. Refreshing thirst qencher and not too much alcohol Little Angel. I think it's best to leave any serious drinking for the apres-ski. Toofy Grin
latest report
Like Alastair Pink I sometimes have a Radler (Shandy) at lunchtime. More often, though, I stick to Spezi (a mixture of Fanta and Coke).
ski holidays
I don't drink at lunchtime but might have a small beer or vin chaud at the end of the day just before coming off the mountain.
snow conditions
rayscoops, can't drink during the day unless the day is a write-off....

I like a beer or 2 at the end of skiing and might even have a small one up the mountain if the ride back is just a few hundred metres and something you can do in your sleep....otherwise skiing and drinking don't mix, IMV
I can stay at home and drink if I wanted to do that.....

Drinking-driving and drinking-skiing is both the same to me...........
ski holidays
Christ-on-a-bike... A few ooh-jars at lunchtime is part and parcel of a good days skiing for every normal human being - you lot are the most miserable bunch of holier-than-thou nay-sayers it's ever been my mis-fortune to crash into after a few ooh-jahs
latest report
I tell you, there can't be many ski instructors on here !! I've yet to meet one that can stay sober till lift closing time! Laughing
ski holidays
Does Insurance cover you for accidents caused while you're under the influence of alcohol. I'm trying to understand what my policy says.
ski holidays
Only skied whilst pished of my face once, and it was after a mountain meal on the uni trip to VT.

I say 'skied,' I don't think what I was doing resembled skiing in the slightest that night, haha rolling eyes
snow report
red 27, you must have a lot of money to burn or maybe you're just not allowed a drink unless you're on holiday. wink

Very Happy (back home and supping) Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27, a true brit on holiday, I like it Very Happy Just wish my constitution allowed me to drink in the day without falling into a coma and I'd be there with you, wiping out scores of ESF groups and mowing down telemarkers Smile
latest report
Can't drink anything more than a small beer at lunch without feeling knackered in the afternoon. But have in the past had a few sessions in a bar as the lifts close and skied back down somewhat the worse for wear. The worst I have been though is a torchlit descent after much drinking games and skiing back down holding a burning torch utterly paralytic.
snow conditions
i get smashed out of my head and rip the place up..have a couple of spliffs and rip it up some more
ski holidays
I can't belive it's me going against the grain again, I will take 4 bottles (can't fit any more in my backpack!) up the hill (one for me, my bro, my dad, and the bro-in-law) find a nice spot pretty high altitude to take in the view (not below a roller! wink ) and then there will prob be a couple of rounds at mountain cafe or refuge, before the home run!
latest report
espri wrote:
I stick to Spezi (a mixture of Fanta and Coke).

I've often wondered how something which seems disgusting on paper can actually taste good! Invented in Augsburg... I remember a big argument when I worked at Siemens in Munich between the Bavarians and Baden-Wuttenbergers where one of the traded insults was "all you guys have ever done is invent Spezi". Ouch.
snow report
I'll have one beer at lunch (usually drink stronger back here). Once had 3 at the end of the day (Plein Sud) and had a deserted piste run home at high speed with only 2 major crashes caused by attempting turns without coming out of the tuck. Rach Q was to blame wink

I now hear that if you inject speedballs prior to setting off at the top then the heroin smooths out any wobbles and calms down the jitters whilst the cocaine enhances reaction time and concentration Twisted Evil
snow report
davidof wrote:
espri wrote:
I stick to Spezi (a mixture of Fanta and Coke).

I've often wondered how something which seems disgusting on paper can actually taste good! Invented in Augsburg... I remember a big argument when I worked at Siemens in Munich between the Bavarians and Baden-Wuttenbergers where one of the traded insults was "all you guys have ever done is invent Spezi". Ouch.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Maybe we know each other? I worked at MchP for many years (after starting in the Hoffmannstraße).
snow report
espri wrote:
More often, though, I stick to Spezi (a mixture of Fanta and Coke).

Sue introduced me to that the day before I met you Smile

Surprisingly refreshing.
snow report
red 27 wrote:
Christ-on-a-bike... A few ooh-jars at lunchtime is part and parcel of a good days skiing for every normal human being - you lot are the most miserable bunch of holier-than-thou nay-sayers it's ever been my mis-fortune to crash into after a few ooh-jahs

It isn't a case of being holier-than-thou. I can't see any posts here saying that it is wrong to have alcohol on the slopes, it just seems that most of us prefer not to, mostly because it would interfere with our enjoyment of the skiing.
ski holidays
rich.ll wrote:
Does Insurance cover you for accidents caused while you're under the influence of alcohol. I'm trying to understand what my policy says.

Best assume the answer is "no". Here's a typical wording

You are not covered under this section for any claim if at the time of the accident, you were under the influence of alcohol or drugs, unless
the drugs were prescribed by and taken on the instructions of a doctor (except to treat drug addiction).

All policies are along those lines. Hard to prove if alcohol was the cause of an accident but, if you read it as it is written, proof of that isn't necessary - they just need to argue that you were under the influence then it'll be up to you to argue otherwise. In practice I think this is only invoked where a claim is sizeable. So, get drunk, cause an accident whereby you get sued for massive damages (say, a paralysis) and you might find your insurer abandoning you if they have sufficient evidence that you were indeed under the influence. Note too that, unlike drink driving regulations, there is no mention of the amount of blood alcohol that constitutes being under the influence.
snow conditions
Where are all those snowheads who, not so long ago, were extolling the virtues of a hard-liquor filled hip flask for those long January chair lift rides wink
ski holidays
It does happen:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/730995/The-savvy-traveller-Sobering-tale-of-a-claim-denied.html

Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy