Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canadian Resort for 09/10 Season

Poster: A snowHead
I'm in the process of organising a working trip to Canada for the 2009/10 season. I'll be travelling with friends but none of our group, as it currently consists, have skied in Canada before. Our applications for visas/work permits are already in motion and now we're just trying to decide where to head. It seems a difficult decision just going by resort websites and hearsay... Puzzled

We are all in our early twenties and are advanced/expert riders looking for a good combination of groomed, off-piste and park skiing. We'll most likely end up looking for employment in the service industry, although we will be University graduates (in various fields).

We were originally thinking Whistler (How clichéd, I know) but are having second thoughts given the upcoming Olympics and the possible shortage of accommodation and/or employment. I could also imagine a hectic few weeks which wouldn't be ideal for people looking for maximum slope-time. Personally speaking, i'd much rather work in a quiter resort if it meant more hours skiing.

Which resorts would be better suited for a season-long stay? Which have the biggest skiable areas/variety of terrain? Which places have the most lively night-life?

Ok, so there are a million factors to consider but any advice would be very gratefully received Blue
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IMHO and all you will get on this is opinions and you know what they say about them, but the big well known international resorts are not necessarily the ones to spend a season working in. Through a few family friends of a friend sort of thing I'm aware of a couple of people who did a season at Whistler and didn't enjoy it at all. Similarly I know a few people who have worked at Kirkwood and Heavenly, and much preferred the experience of working at a smaller resort like Kirkwood.

I guess it depends on your outlook on working, is it something to be tolerated to get to ride, or do you want it to be a reasonably fun part of the whole experience. If the later I'd look for a smaller or less well known resort rather than a major international one. Perhaps somewhere that is close to bigger, better known areas so they are reasonably accessible is a good compromise. Larger resorts tend to be faceless machines to work for, while smaller ones are more friendly places to work. Just my tuppence worth.

One other thing, if your going to Canada, is it on a working holiday type visa? Depending on the work you do, you maybe able to use that experience to get a US resort to sponsor you for an H2B temporary worker visa in future seasons if you fancied doing another season on the other side of the pond. The roles available for H2B visas are not consistent state to state or resort to resort for that matter, but typically are usually more focused on direct Mountain Operation jobs with the lift companies, Kirkwood for example will sponsor people for Lift Operations, Snowsports School, Ski Patrol, Piste Basher drivers etc.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The work part, for me anyway, is really just a means to an end. I'd do pretty much anything: washing dishes, cleaning toilets etc, if it secured a good number of hours on the slope each week.

In a perfect world I'd be able to save up enough money over the summer to negate the need for employment.

When I worked in Europe it was a smaller resort which meant the social side was friendly but there was little opportunity to advance my riding because of the lack of expert skiers to tag along with.

I guess the priorities are guaranteed snow over a large area, a good lift system, and a decent park set-up. Secondary would be good apré ski...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
embramalc, have a look at Banff, not the perfect town for everyone but has a mix of pretty much everything (including the nightlife). On the downside the lift pass is really quite expensive. If you have any Qs about Banff there are a load of us here who have spent a season or even just some holidays there so advice is plentiful.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You should check out Big White in BC. Plenty of jobs and good cheap long term ski-in/out accommodation. Nightlife is limited compared to the likes of Whistler, but there are a few lively bars and lots of young people around. As for the skiing, the groomed is excellent and uncrowded, off piste is superb too if you like tree skiing and powder, but a bit limited if you like serious steeps. But you can always pop over to Red Mountain or Revelstoke for a few days of extreme action. Also got a decent Park to play about in.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Having done some further research the serious contenders look like Whistler/Blackcomb, Big White, Fernie or one of the Banff trio. Sun Peaks and Silver Star also look rather promising although, again, i've not heard much about either. I guess we're definitely leaning towards a larger skiable area with plently of opportunity for more advanced riding.

On their website the impression is that Mount Norquay, Sunshine and Lake Louise are almost interconnected although they don't seem particularly close on a map. Is there a decent transport service between towns?

Whistler would appear to kick the ass out of most other resorts in terms of facilities and snowfall but I can't decide whether the Olympics will be a pro or a con. Perhaps it's a bit of both...

Decisions, decisions Puzzled
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
embramalc, I had the same choice as you for my season and went with Banff. The town of Banff is a bit out the way of the ski resorts, 15 minutes to Norquay, 25 to Sunshine and 40 to Lake Louise but you can pick up a bus pass with the season ticket. Golden is 2 hours away and Revelstoke about 4. The resorts are not interconnected.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If Banff floats your boat and you're looking for a cheaper option than staying in the town, look at Canmore. It's jsut outside the National Park area on Route 1 and is a butt load cheaper than staying in Banff. Commute is about 15/20 mins. A lot of seasoners stay there - my mate did with a similar size group and rented a house there for pocket change (admittedly a few years ago now though)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
embramalc,

Contact wbsr (an Aussie Snowhead based in Whistler) for info about how the Olympics is likely to affect things (like availability of staff housing).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There's no park in Fernie (at least not last season). DaveC could confirm. It's got everything else though and some superb steeps and trees snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi, I will try and be as helpful as I can - firstly I have lived in Whistler for almost 6 years, first year I was a lifty, then lift maintenance, then a few years snow making. this year I did not work for the mountain.

Re: Olympics - traditionally the host resort has around 20-30% LESS visitors than a normal year - because people like you think it will be busy and thus avoid the place. I can not give proof, but I know that the International Olympic Committee has to pay WhistlerBlackcomb $$$$ to compensate for the loss of income from skier visits (which is the reason WB has been giving away lots of ski packages the last few years, the packages contained full price lift tickets but cheap accommodation - because the IOC has to compensate $$$$ based on the lift tickets sales based on the 3 season prior to the Olympics)

During the Olympics, I believe the village will be crazy busy, but the mountains will be fairly quiet (for actual skiers)

Blackcomb mountain is NOT used for the Olympics in any way, and I presume will be quiet and hopefully full of powder Smile

What does this mean ? Well, it should be a quiet year, and thus many businesses are not planing to hire as many employees as normal. So work 'may' be a little harder to get, but I would presume still fairly easy, as there is normally not enough staff for the positions available. Whistler Blackcomb intend to 'pre-hire' as many people as possible - in order to make sure the people show up for the jobs.

They are doing interviews in London July 11-13 check out this page for info
http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/employment/jobs/index.htm

I suggest you go if you can, plenty of info to find out from the people there (Supervisors from most departments). Some people will tell you not to work for the mountain due to lower wages - BUT I think they are the best option for a seasonaire.
1. Guaranteed job
2. Free lift pass, free lessons, various discounts around town and half priced food on the mountain, good social club stuff and
3. Guaranteed accommodation !!!

Accommodation is always hard to get, and next year will be even harder (due to lots of NON-SKIERS being here - media,police,military,Olympic officials, construction leftovers etc)

WB Staff accommodation is mainly ski in ski out - they have some that is not but most first year employees stay in Glacier Housing which is located at Base2 - which is the midstation of the Blackcomb gondola. It is nothing glamorous, and normally shared bedrooms, but cheap and great location. I highly doubt you will find a cheaper place (especially if you want your own bedroom - most houses around town end up with 2-3 people per bedroom (for seasonal people)).

In regards to the Alberta resorts, I believe they no longer have 'real' parks - they have rails and boxes, but due to legal stuff they no longer have jumps. This may have changed but was true for the last few seasons.
Personally, I have always been annoyed during my visits to Banff with the commute to each resort. Big White is great little resort, but hasn't got enough terrain to entertain most advanced skiers for a season.
Also, most of the other resorts have shut down now (Easter weekend) whereas here in Whistler, we still have another month of Spring skiing to go.

In the end, I can't wait for next season. I expect little lift lines and hopefully lots of snow. Also it will be exciting to be here for the Olympics, I am a big fan of them.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wbsr wrote:

In regards to the Alberta resorts, I believe they no longer have 'real' parks - they have rails and boxes, but due to legal stuff they no longer have jumps. This may have changed but was true for the last few seasons.

This is just Fernie, Nakiska and Kimberly (so BC and Alberta). Lake Louise is no longer owned by RCR.

I find the "less busy at the olympics" thing hard to swallow as a seasonaire, when a lot of friends couldn't find a place last year nevermind this year. I know a lot of friends are going to try this year. Either way, I'd avoid Disneyland at all costs personally Smile Banff sounds like a good option for the original poster....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
wbsr, Have the rumours of seasonal staff being laid off for a month while they are replaced by IOC certified staff mid season proved false?

Banff and Manmore would be a right PITA as a seasonnaire IMO for commute reasons unless you get a job with staff housing in Louise- sometimes you want to stay in, watch the footy then go for a few laps in the afternoon or come home when you're just not feeling it. WB is 2 great mountains no denying it but its not the be all and end all of Canadian skiing & I'd have concerns about affordability given the housing situation which worsens seemingly each year.

Winterhighland is on my wavelength re choice of places to find people who can really ski/board & who won't be too up themselves to mind you tagging along. You may need to recalibrate your understanding of expert though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers wbsr that's some absolutely cracking info. In France i shared a room with 3 other guys and it wasn't a problem at all. We'll sleep anywhere! I think we'll definitely bust down to those job interviews, my flatmate had also seen that online...

Quote:

You may need to recalibrate your understanding of expert though.

Not sure I understand you on this point fatbob. Although some folk i've spoken to definitely did voice their concerns that Whistler may have an abundance of kids that are rather too-cool-for-school...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
embramalc, You might have been lapping Flypaper since you were a wee'un in which case you might be able to keep up straightaway with some of the low key locals you get in interior BC resorts, otherwise you'll have a fast & fun learning curve.
snow conditions
DaveC wrote:
I find the "less busy at the olympics" thing hard to swallow as a seasonaire, when a lot of friends couldn't find a place last year nevermind this year. I know a lot of friends are going to try this year. Either way, I'd avoid Disneyland at all costs personally Smile Banff sounds like a good option for the original poster....

The Olympics host resorts are historically 20-30% less busy skier visit number wise than normal years, if you don't believe that, than take it up with the IOC (International Olympic Committee) because they are the ones paying WB the money.

So, for the majority of the of our 5-6 month season, we will be quiet. During the games (2 x 2 week periods when counting ParaOlympics), accommodation will be scarcer than girl being faithful in Whistler while her boyfriend is at home Wink and the village will be busy - but the mountains will not be, since everyone here is here to watch or be involved in the Olympics in some way.

and I am yet to work out why people call Whistler 'Disneyland' - except as a compliment for being so big and so good .......
snow conditions
fatbob wrote:
wbsr, Have the rumours of seasonal staff being laid off for a month while they are replaced by IOC certified staff mid season proved false?

I haven't heard that particularly rumor. I know some departments are getting IOC staff to oversee (ie snowmaking) to make sure the job is done to Olympic standards.

I know that certain jobs (biggest department affected would be ski school) will get a lot less hours during the Olympics. I also happen to know that a lot of Olympic jobs have been awarded to seasonal employees, so when they get less hours from Intrawest, they get employed by the IOC in someway (obviously this has mainly helped regular seasonal workers ie the people who work here every winter - since they have been able to snap up those positions being offered)
There are still jobs available during the Olympics to seasonal staff who get reduced hours, but most of the good ones are taken.

I cant find the link to the internal website, which is probably a good thing (since I probably shouldn't pass it on), but some of the jobs are cool, others not so much. eg a liaison for the Olympic athletes (especially if you speak a second language), or a driver, or a radio operator, or assistant to timing/staging or tv/video crews. The rates of pay were decent (liaison was up to $300/day, but most were around the $16-20 a hour - so possibly a higher rate of pay than the rest of the season)

Overall though, this is good for the regular seasonals, as I presume most of these positions will be filled before a 'first-year' even gets to Whistler.
latest report
Disneyland = fake village, overpriced tat, hordes of tourists, ridiculous queues (for N America) if you don't know what you're doing.

Yep the thrill rides are good & worth putting up with the rest but it can cost up to 3 times the price of the carnival down the road (e.g. Revy, Golden, Red etc) certainly for a hotel room.

It seems to be credible that businesses might be expecting pain next year though, can't believe the town didn't think about it back in 2000. Its not as though they need to get on the map & lets remember a few days of rain on primetime tv could cause a big reputational hangover rather than free advertising.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/2010wintergames/Reeling+Whistler+looks+warily+toward+2010+year+Olympic+aversion/1421609/story.html
latest report
wbsr wrote:

and I am yet to work out why people call Whistler 'Disneyland' - except as a compliment for being so big and so good .......

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
fake village ??? We have a pedestrian only village that is awesome, if you don't like it, then you must like dodging cars and breathing exhaust fumes.
overpriced??? I spoke to a tourist a few days ago who paid $400 for 3 nights accommodation and 2 days lift tickets for 2 people.
hordes of tourists?? I can't remember the last time I had to wait in a lift line - ski straight onto every lift (except maybe Emerald chair)

single day tickets
Revelstoke = $71
Kicking Horse (near Golden) = $67
Red = dunno cant see on website

Whistler = $79

so okay, a little bit more money, for a LOT more terrain, more grooming, more parks, more everything
plus
no need for a car (unlike those resorts you mention)

so sure, save a few dollars, but put up with the car rental, hassle of driving (so no apres drinks for someone) and then sleep in a hotel in a town which could be anywhere, or stay in Whistler and enjoy the nightlife then walk home.

penny wise but pound foolish is the way I see it
snow conditions
wbsr, We get it - you're a one man/woman Whistler marketing machine.

but:

"I can't remember the last time I had to wait in a lift line - ski straight onto every lift"

No one turns up for Peak chair on a powder day nowadays then? Glaicer when Spank's is rumoured to be opening? Or maybe you work patrol? wink
latest report
Ski Kimberly said Kimberly is better than Whistler, wbsr. I think you should get together and have a neutral and unbiased debate about which resort is better. Winner takes on La Rosiere.
snow conditions
All "new" ski village are "fake". The only village that qualify as "real village" exist before the resort. So yes, Whistler village is "fake" in that regard.

Still, it's a pretty cool village and functionally, it work quite well.

Just get over it, it's just another mega resort. Not a quaint Austrian village. I guess the "fake" part comes from trying to imitate one. Had they build it the Canadian style, it wouldn't have felt quite so "fake". But Intrawest didn't have confidence the tourist will buy into that. I found it sad.
snow conditions
wbsr wrote:

I know some departments are getting IOC staff to oversee (ie snowmaking) to make sure the job is done to Olympic standards.

I think the grooming on Dave Murray is already being done by/with the IOC (hence the new piste bashers there)

Whistler is a good place for a season (I've done two there), but in my opinion is by no means the best skiing in BC. Fortunately I didn't have to work and had an unlimited lesson pass both times, so no worries with getting enough skiing in and people to ski with, though accomodation was somewhat pricy (we rented a whole appartment for the seasons we went) and apparently now is even worse - can imagine next year it will be absolutely crazy (well for a few weeks at least which will make finding a place for a whole season awkward)
If I did it again I think I'd once again make sure I had enough cash not to have to work (working all week being a lifty for $100 to spend at the end of the month rather than skiing when you want doesn't seem like a great idea to me!), head to the interior, base myself somewhere like Kelowna, Vernon, Nelson, or Rossland, get a car and ski all the areas big and small round the interior.
ski holidays
For the record, I am not completely sure, but I think RCR may still have some share or interest in Lake Louise. The dude that sold it to them originally had the option to buy back a share and did so (something to that effect).

Then again that is second hand information so who knows.
ski holidays
Nah, LL is no longer under any RCR influence, and apparently has an insanely big park this year. New jackets for staff next year without LL on here...
snow report
DaveC, ah really,thank for that. Can only be a good thing!
latest report
Whistler is for tourists and poseurs. Interior BC is the real thing. If I was doing a season I'd base myself in Big White, but ski all the other interior resorts as well. Banff/Lake Louise is nice too, but the commuting would bug me too much.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

For the record, I am not completely sure, but I think RCR may still have some share or interest in Lake Louise. The dude that sold it to them originally had the option to buy back a share and did so (something to that effect).

Then again that is second hand information so who knows.

No it's correct! Charlie is back.
ski holidays
uktrailmonster wrote:
Whistler is for tourists and poseurs. Interior BC is the real thing. If I was doing a season I'd base myself in Big White, but ski all the other interior resorts as well. Banff/Lake Louise is nice too, but the commuting would bug me too much.

Big White - not an Aussie owner, employee or fake frontage in the place. A genuine hick mining/ railroad town. wink
snow conditions
fatbob, Laughing Laughing
snow report
Quote:

No it's correct! Charlie is back

He is indeed - we saw him whilst breakfasting there a couple of weekends ago. I think RCR have some kind of share up to 50% but he is controlling it.

They do have a park - I have even done the 'S' jumps on it.
snow conditions
If I were doing a season I would think about interior BC.

Alberta- too far from lifts , won't be able to catch and hour or two here of there. Can be v crowded at weekends.

I would chase the deep fluffy stuff and go Fernie, Big White or Silver Star. Never been to Sun Peaks- but I guess that could be an option.

Gryph
ski holidays
On an unrelated note... how long is the season at Whistler? Why do I keep hearing it's a glacier? Is it a glacier? Does canada have many ski-accessible glaciers? Probably all stupid questions...
snow report
Timmaah, The season is pretty long, they used to shut Blackcomb after the WSSF around 23 April then eke Whistler out through May then open Blackcomb for the glacier and Whistler for Mtn Biking. Its the only resort glacier in Canada I think though Jumbo (nearish Panorama) has been planned on & off for years.

Canada has lots of ski accessible glaciers and icecaps if you skin or have a snowmobile.
snow report
I'll be the one man Kicking Horse marketing machine Smile although I haven't been there for 5 years.

But mates who were there when I was and who are still there are there for a reason. Well several.

Terrain - check
Terrain park - the whole mountain
Snow - check
No queuing - check
Real Canadian experience - check
Proximity to other resorts - check
Nightlife - mellow but good, with some uniqueness / originality
Slackcountry - check
Backcountry - check
Cheap relative to nearby resorts - check
Distinct lack of rain during the winter - check
Warmer than nearby resorts in Alberta - check
latest report
I got put off a season in KH 'cos of the gondola based laps... I hate those things Smile I heard it's a bit cowboy for nightlife to, but it's pretty much my 2nd choice of place to apply to work if Fernie don't sponsor me next year..
snow report
There's some tremendous terrain at Fernie that you can look at, and some tremendous terrain at Kicking Horse that you can ski.
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:

Nightlife - mellow but good, with some uniqueness / originality

Mike refers to fresh meat Monday presumably.
latest report
Guilty as charged Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy