Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

flying with ABS

Poster: A snowHead
Just for info.

I have an ABS vario which has been on 5 trips thus far each time getting out by plane.
No probs until yesterday when grenoble airport refused to let me fly the cartridge back.
I had cleared it with the airline and flown out with it , i showed them the info and IATA info provided by ABS to no avail.
The IATA info states that the airlines can fly the equip as long as it has been packed so that accidental discharge cannot occur which i had done.
They implied the problem was that the cartridge was not in it's original styrofoam packaging. I strongly suspect that even had it been they would not have allowed it on and that their minds were set.( it had been very securely packed)
I've previously flown with no probs from Manchester, liverpool , geneva and friedrickshafen (or somewhere that sounds v sim!) and with easy jet , bmi baby, ryan air and flybe all of whom were fine with it.
The airport folk informed me they had refused flight the prev day for someone else as well.

I would suggest therefore that if you do need to fly your ABS you ask the airline to confirm by email that they are OK with this (i gained the impression written confirmation may have helped) and that you keep the cartridge in it's styrofoam container and/or avoid grenoble??

Good luck
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cheers rm, good info there!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I somehow think that Grenoble make up their own rules Confused
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is Grenoble just becoming the most 'pain in the arse' airline ever?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarpa, it's an airport Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm posting in this thread and the other ABS thread just to update my recent flying experience. Gatwick to Toronto on Airtransat - actually the flight was with Thomas Cook. I e-mailed the airline in advance, I got a simple 'yes' back, so I asked if they wanted the ABS in hand luggage or checked in the hold. They then sent me the full IATA information and told me it was up to me.

Packed the actual pack in my ski bag and had the gas canister and the handle in a Ziploc to show the check-in staff. The lady said she wanted to check with her superior and was gone for one minute. No problem what-so-ever. Popped the baggie in my ski boots and off we all went. 7 pieces of checked luggage and not a single piece went missing! Very Happy

I'll later be flying from Toronto to a ski destination (or two) in Canada & US, I'll let you know how those flights go.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Michelle wrote:
Scarpa, it's an airport Laughing
Laughing Laughing Laughing Does it mean I'm gettin on a bit when I start mixing my words up Puzzled Embarassed
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Guys

Quick couple of questions.

Thinking of buying a Snowpulse, has anyone travelled with this? Did any of the airlines have issues with this?

Reason for question is the Grenable comment above, I am travelling there on new years eve. Do they still give you problems even though Ryanair state that avalanche rescue packs are ok.?

Appreciate comments

Thanks
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The snowpluse is ment to be fine to fly with as it only uses compressed air! of course it still has to be checked into the hold! I would still check with ur airline just incase tho! Grenoble are a pain in the back bottom! they wouldn't even let me take my helmet on as hand luggage!

Back bottom??? haha what a filter!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
heneskibum, didn't realise from your other post this was your first time here! Welcome to snowHead

I posted my response on the thread in 'The Piste'.

As a side note I bought an ABS over the Snowpulse, have you tried both on? Also, but maybe not exactly an alternative, BCA are releasing their version, the 'Float 30', very soon. The Float is half the price of both the ABS & Snowpulse, I started a thread about it in 'Equipment & Reviews', have a look.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks guys

DANSMITH - re the helmet I had the same problem this year flying back from grenoble. backpack was stuffed so ended up putting it in a friends who had space thankfully. More worried about flying back from there on Jan 10th rather than coming over!

PARLOR - Thanks - have reviewed all three, float 30 more for snowmobilers really and in its infancy, however do like the value for money, abs and snowpulse, do like the head protection element and that it could possibly have you facing up rater than down, plus compressed air (bag slow deflating and giving breathable air is a plus i suppose) and refil costs seem better. With these reasons have swayed towards snowpulse.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
heneskibum, I got the ABS on pro deal which was too good to turn down. The ABS is designed in Verbier and a superb, well thought out product. Enjoy.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowpulse is fine it has a pressure guage and is compressed air, it can be re charged by a dive store
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Totally makes sense if you get it on pro deal, anyone got any ideas on where to pick up a snowpulse at the best possible price???
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes. Pretty sure this will be the best price in Europe, great service too.
ski holidays
The snow pulse on that site is the same price as the UK... unless the exchange rate has changed alot?
ski holidays
Well guys - now bought the snowpulse so we will see how well it goes on new years getting to the alps!
snow report
just been told Thomson fly have refused to fly my abs stating that there are new security rules meaning that the small explosive pellets prohibit them carrying.?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy