Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are these ski's too long for my other half?

Poster: A snowHead
Just a random query, any advice appreciated.

I've spotted a really good deal on a pair of K2 Miss Demeanors in 159cm i'm thinking about buying for my other half's birthday. My gut instinct is 159 is too long for a 160cm girl but these are twin-tips which of course shortens the effective edge so are these a good choice for her or will they freak her out and she won't be able to turn them?

She's 160cm tall and a reasonably confident intermediate who'll give anything a go on and off piste but is definitely more at home on the piste. We're planing a season in Canada next year so hopefully i'll develop her towards the powder as this goes on.

snowHead's thoughts appreciated especially from anyone who has a pair of these. I promise i won't hold any of you responsible for an expensive mistake if i go for them Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would say they're a little too long. I am about 1.75 and my skis are 163 and I find them a little long for short turns, I would only want something longer if I wanted to pretend to be a downhiller! I don't do park but I wouldn't have thought long skis would be ideal.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fastandicy, are you sure that the 159 is overall length as opposed to running length? I only ask because I've got the K2 Burnin Luvs (from last season - think this season's may be different) & they are measured on the running length - they are 160s but they're actually about as tall as me, at 167cm. I love them, btw! So I would say that 159 should be fine for your OH, if she's reasonably confident (& having your own skis helps with that, anyway Toofy Grin ) but do check that they're not going to be rather longer than that in reality...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
fastandicy,

K2 do have their own way of measuring their skis, IMV so check out their true lenght...
If they work out at head height for a TT then she is on the right lines, IMV, if she is commited and gutsy, she will turn that lenght to her advantage.

So, two things to check...overall lenght..and you can be a bit longer for a TT, and the weight. K2 used to make some heavy skis..and am not sure if this is the case with the MissD

A friend has some One Luvs..I think.. and they are brutally heavy for a womens ski..the heaviest ski in our ski box except for an old pr of 181 Recons...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fastandicy, that length should be fine for her..my sis has those skis (shes 161cm)and loves them.she says they are really easy to use and although not a fat ski,she hangs out with us in the deeper stuff and handles it fine.great graphics too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
JT, it's my understanding that the Miss Ds ski for a lighter girl, so Mr fastandciy, if your lady is muscly it wouldn't hurt to go up a length. In fact, if you're planning to do a whole season in Canada she'll be seriously hacked off if she needs to buy a new ski halfway through the season because you've bought "blades"! Wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ha, shows what I know! I'll crawl back to my slalom course now....
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My 13yo daughter is on K2 Missys and loves them. My general rule of thumb is when stood on end the skis should be between the users chin and nose. One of our sons who is more off piste inclined is at the upper end, the other the lower end. I wouldn't go over nose height, you'll be heading for hardwork in small turns.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mollerski, I can do short radius turns on my 172s, I'm 165. I'm not saying it's "easy" per se, but anyone doing a season should be able to master it no problem, especially on a lighter ski.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alexandra wrote:
Mollerski, I can do short radius turns on my 172s, I'm 165. I'm not saying it's "easy" per se, but anyone doing a season should be able to master it no problem, especially on a lighter ski.

But, why make it hard? Unless you a competitive downhill nutter or a powder head, why go over long? Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
But it isn't "over long" - there's more to fitting a ski than lining it up to your nose! wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks everybody. I'm pretty set on the idea of getting them and reckon i can always sell them second hand if she can't turn them.

Anybody else looking for a pair of these for a good price? I'm not sure if i'd be spamming by putting it on here but i can PM anyone the website if they're looking for a pair of these in 159, 164 and 169cm and 07/08 colours
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alexandra wrote:
But it isn't "over long" - wink

Have you heard? They also do skis with curvy sides now!! wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fastandicy, I'd wait until you've bought your OH's first - and then I am sure it'll be fine to put the link on here Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mollerski wrote:
Alexandra wrote:
But it isn't "over long" - wink

Have you heard? They also do skis with curvy sides now!! wink

I also ski a 172 and I'm 165 tall. They also turn tight, because they have a significant sidecut on an 86mm waist.
latest report
IncogSkiSno wrote:
fastandicy, I'd wait until you've bought your OH's first - and then I am sure it'll be fine to put the link on here Toofy Grin

That might just have been what i was thinking Shocked
ski holidays
For anybody looking for a pair of these try

http://www.sport-conrad.com/index.asp?lang_id=ENG

150 Euro's a pair with Marker M11 bindings fully assembled for 159 Euro. Yes, that's 9 Euro for the bindings!!! Shocked

Anyway, this isn't meant to be spam or an advert. Just a pointer for a cheap pair of ski's for fellow snowHead's

I've ordered a pair for the other half, let's just hope she can turn them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy