Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Early days report from VT - Tuesday update

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Well here we are in VT.

Bit of a slush fest going on, but the piste bashers are working hard to try and flatten it every once in a while.

Had an uneventful trip to get here. Contrary to expectation we did fit everything into BMF_Skier's little car!!! Bless its little wheels Little Angel

The Minimum's are already knocking off the 'firsts': First bubble, First cable car, first 6 seater chair lift, first restaurant meal on the mountain and a few reds with the ski school. Oh yes, the ski school - first morning this morning - talk about partially organised chaos - god knows how the instructors get through it every week Shocked You seem to stand around for ages in a melee of kids, parents and instructors - then in the finish every child appears to get paired off with a green and white jacket and disappears as if by magic!!

The Olympiades appt. (meant for 6) is cramped with 4! They had the beds for 6 set up when we arrived, and you wouldn't want 6 adults in it for any length of time - the last 2 beds fit in the 'living area' and they leave about 1ft of space around the edge of them and no room to open doors, sit at the table etc. The kitchen area is 'compact and bigu' (leastwise I expect that's how and estate agent would describe it!!) No kettle!!!!! Only 2 electric hobs, a microwave, a filter coffee machine, No potato masher! no cooker, but a socking great big full size dishwasher in the space which could far more usefully be occupied by a cooker. Still I guess you can't call yourself a cook unless you can turn out masterpieces on 2 hobs!! It takes me back to my camping days Laughing

Have knocked off tete rond, my notrious fond (which is actually quite a doddle now), gentiane - which is pleasant meander in the slush and several of the lower pistes - hoping to get up to Cime Caron tomorrow morning weather permitting - it blew a hoolie yesterday hence staying low then, and not so much time today with only 2 hrs with the kids at ski school much of which was taken up with the first day sorting out - hoping for more serious ski time tomorrow.

BMF_Skier has signed up for web access all week so hopefully will be able to post some more reports as things progress.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 14-04-09 17:35; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi - good to hear from you! I was wondering how things were going. Is it really 12 months ago we were in the Oxalys?? From your description the conditions sound a bit different this year - is it very different?

I'm not really surprised at the sardines sleeping arrangements which sounds typical of tour ops policy, winter & summer & lets them make a mint out of "under-occupancy" charges. It makes you appreciate the Oxalys big time, doesn't it?

Gentiane - did that one afternoon last year and recall it was a nice but rather busy & a bit slushy by the time we did it mid-afternoon. Seem to remember there was a bit of a "play-area" just off the right hand side of the piste where one or two were having fun and falls galore! My favourite run I think (apart from the nice green circuit via the Deux-Lacs & Knife/Fork restos) was Moraine - never tried Plein Sud as I was told by many I would not like it! Hoping to go back next year though!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Butterfly, Very different indeed. It is rather slushy (that's the polite version) and good quality snow in short supply. Sad The warmer weather appears to have arrived here a week earlier than 2008. We have plus temps, including the nights, forecasted for the next three days.
We have basic accomodation in the Olympiades rather than the luxury accomodation in Oxalys. The appartment here for 6 is not much larger than than kitchen and living area at Oxalys! Snug !
Megamum, is doing sterling work in the 'undersized' kitchen. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well I have suvived another day - the Minimum's are doing their own reports now so no need to cover their escapades.

Since ski school was earlier this morning BMF_Skier and I caught first lift!! up to the Cime de Caron and I knocked off the first red of the trip - Col de l'audzin. The top started deceptively cruise-y, but their were def. steeper pitches after about 1/3rd way down which made it clear why it wasn't blue Shocked Then we ran Gentiane to the base and went up the Moutiere chair and stopped off at Deux Lacs for a longish break, I then went and got the Minimum's for lunch and this afternoon we dropped down Chalets and down to Moutiere chair again and took the kids up to Breche de Rosael on the funitel Grand Fond and came down via Niverolles and Rhodos (2nd red), finishing with Moraine chair and down Moraine itself as Genepi was closed for a race event. Then home via the Retour. For us this was quite a busy day with a reasonable amount ground covered.

Better skiing is def before about 11am this mornings red was hard, but quite skiable, the slush is def. setting v.early in the day though and if you don't want to knackered yourself its probably best to ski harder when its as early as possible. Even this mornings red was starting to slush up in the odd place round about 10:00am and this was with only one or two cable car loads down it. It must have been quite 'choice' by this afternoon.

If anyone is on their way over here next week, if you value your skin pack a v. high SPF suncream - we are going red under SPF 40 at the moment!!

Not looking forward to the forecast plus temps. night and day for the next 48 hrs. That could really damage what little is left. Although colder temps and little more snow are forecast later in the week, here's hoping Madeye-Smiley

We will try and leave a little slush for those that are arriving next week!
Shocked

If anyone is on their way over here next week, if you value your skin pack a v. high SPF suncream - we are going red under SPF 40 at the moment!!

Not looking forward to the forecast plus temps. night and day for the next 48 hrs. That could really damage what little is left.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

No kettle!!!!!

Megamum, you almost never get kettles (or potato mashers) in genuine French apartments! Potato ricers, sometimes.

Val Thorens sounds remarkably like Les Saisies, slush-wise. Once it's as warm as this, the altitude doesn't help enormously. It's been really warm for ages and ages. Cleverer people keep telling me that slush isn't really hard work..... but I find it is! There are many different kinds of slush though - some really pleasant to ski, some definitely not. It's better on a snowboard, actually. Maybe this is the week for you and BMF Skier to take snowboard lessons? wink

Glad the ski school is working out OK - that must be a big relief. Have fun.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Tuesday:

Started as per yesterday - the Col de l'audzin was still hard. I think that the overnight temps were a little bit lower last night, that run and others seemed to hold firm for longer this morning, but again you still wanted to be getting the ones you were desperate to do over first, as the slush was starting to come back with avengence around 11:30. After Col de l'audzin we dropped down through Gentiane and took the Moutiere chair to come back across the mountain, and rounded deux lacs. Then still high with the success of Col de l'audzin in a rash moment I suggested, since I hadn't been up it that we have a crack at Portette. Snow up there around 10:45am was still pretty decent for the mountain this week - probably largely due to the height (I was surprised at how high it was). The surface was very firm, but there was enough free snow on the surface to make it ski-able Very Happy . I tend to think that it is the couple of steeper pitches up near the start that make this one a red. We then had a beer stop at the K&F on the way down to collect the kids who I think have posted what we got up to this afternoon.

Have had a successful struggle with the camping stove in the appt. tonight and served up serloin steak, carrots, fried onions and fried potatoes.

All in all a successful day, but every day we walk out to the piste it is quite frightening at how much the snow has receeded at the top of the Retour area Shocked .

Tonight the kids are having movie night on the PC - we have lined up Madagascar 1 & 2 and popcorn done in the microwave!! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, gr8 posts,

i know what you're saying with regards to the heat & the pistes Sad when we were in Obergurgl in Austria mid march 2007 it too was sometimes slush mid to late afternoon & that too is a hi resort. i remember looking at the temp clock in the resort saying 16 degrees Shocked !!!!!!!!

it was so warm we just skied in our long sleeved thermal top with a body warmer & no thermals under our 'pants' with the vents open!!!!

it reminded me of little mini climates you get all over the alps because of the 'bowls'.

oh and yes the sun factor element..... my other half didnt want to break her good sunglasses so refused to wear them & instead wore her goggles for three days Shocked she ended up with a burnt face Xcept where the goggles had been....well, i couldnt look her in the face Laughing & couldnt sit opposite her in our hotel (all inclusive & bloody lovely) for laughing at her Laughing we got her some sunglasses next day but the deed had been done & the people we met along the way were laughing too.

i never got her photo as she always grabbed the camera when she never had her 'eye' protection on Laughing Laughing Laughing

mite see you & your team around on the sat if we manage everthing ok getting into VT around 2
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, the weather forecast is saying you're in for a BIG dump tomorrow starting mid afternoon snowHead snowHead snowHead

you'll all be able to put in some fresh tracks wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
corona, Cloudy at lunch time on Wednesday, also v.windy. Hope it arrives. Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wednesday: Woke up to a stiff breeze - experience is proving that this is not good news for getting up high here. Sure enough we took the Moutiere chair once we had dropped the kids off and rode up into the teeth of a gale. BMF_Skier decided that descretion was the better part of valour and a warm coward was probably better than a cold hero so we made an early stop into Deux Lacs restaurant for an early hot chocolate and myrtille tart stop. BMF_Skier then decided that he would be better off with goggles and buff (I already had mine on NehNeh ) so we went to the Poma back into town where he rescued the afore mentioned items from the appt. and whilst he was gone I managed to 'blink in' a couple of contact lenses (which I also tend to carry) whilst standing on the relatively sheltered area of piste at the top so I could use my goggles which I carry on my helmet anyway. Suitably attired for the gale that blew for the rest of the day we set of again, but somehow we were not impressed with the concept of going up high, and decided to run the Cascades blues in each direction before collecting the kids. A lengthy lunch followed after which I took the kids out by myself. We looped Deux Lacs via its lift and I gave the kids the option of popping up Moraine, but they didn't want to go up into the wind so we went in both directions on Cascades again. By then it was getting really heavy. We were down low which wasn't helping the snow anyway along with the majority of the population of VT, and (I think) every lower resort in the valley and the slush was just getting deeper by the minute so we decided to call it a day.

There have been minor snow flurries most of the afternoon, but its only been in the wind and has not really made any impact on the pistes at resort level yet. Fingers crossed that it might get its act together overnight.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy