Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the correct way to use pole straps?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm sure theres been posts on this before but i couldn't find them. Apart from not using the straps at all, what is the "correct way" of holding poles. I can see pros and cons to both ways of using straps to be honest but i know some people definitely seem to believe that one way is better than the other.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 15-04-09 14:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
straps are there so that you dont loose them down the mountain

and the correct way is poles vertical straps hanging down put hand through the strap and hold the
handle of the pole and hey presto
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

the correct way is poles vertical straps hanging down put hand through the strap and hold the

Hmm. Personally I don't use straps, as I'm afraid of injuring my hand in a fall but the "correct" way to hold them (as demo'd by various instructors over the years) is to put the hand through the strap, letting the pole dangle from the lower hand/wrist, then bring the hand down around the strap and hold the handle (so the two parts of the strap are under your hand.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
For most piste type applications, go up through the loop and then down on the grip, with the straps then running from the top of the pole, between your palm and the grip and around your wrist. That way you get much more purchase when you're poling and the weight transfers to your skeleton at the wrist rather than just pushing on the grip. This is a much more effiencent and effective transfer of power.

If you're off piste in the trees, then don't use the loops at all, especially not in the way described above, as you can dislocate (or worse) shoulders if the pole gets caught in the trees.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Troll post? Maybe not. I must remember that I am a cynic.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hollers, yes, that's what I meant, but your description is more coherent than mine. snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
grivas wrote:
straps are there so that you dont loose them down the mountain

and the correct way is poles vertical straps hanging down put hand through the strap and hold the

I'm not sure if I understood this right, but if I did, then you are definitely wrong Smile
Hmm... how to explain this with my knowledge of English? You should actually put strap horizontal way, go with hand through it from bottom up, and then you grab pole. So basically strap should go from pole between thumb and index finger to palm and then around your wrist (ok not that far up but you get idea Smile) on top side of hand, back to palm and up between thumb and index finger to pole.
Does this make any sense?
PS: Using strap or not using strap? I guess strap is there with reason Wink Without it, you can't really push with poles, you can lose them way too easy and there could be few more pros for this. Cons? I don't see any. If you fall, poles fly off pretty easy, sometimes even too easy. If you are still worried about this, then there are straps like Leki Trigger straps, which makes this even easier.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

If you fall, poles fly off pretty easy,

Not necessarily. I know that serious off piste skiers tend not to use their straps but a friend I was with fell on piste, a few weeks ago. Minor sort of fall but his strap wrenched his thumb really badly. that's why I never wear mine unless I am doing specific exercises where I need to be able to support my weight to some extent on my poles. I have sore thumbs already - arthritic - and would much rather lose a pole than hurt my thumb. Anyway, I'm useless with poles - I spent a whole day without them last week, because I was wielding a video camera, and I really didn't miss them at all.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

If you fall, poles fly off pretty easy,

Not necessarily. I know that serious off piste skiers tend not to use their straps but a friend I was with fell on piste, a few weeks ago. Minor sort of fall but his strap wrenched his thumb really badly. that's why I never wear mine unless I am doing specific exercises where I need to be able to support my weight to some extent on my poles. I have sore thumbs already - arthritic - and would much rather lose a pole than hurt my thumb. Anyway, I'm useless with poles - I spent a whole day without them last week, because I was wielding a video camera, and I really didn't miss them at all.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=24958#566633
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
el nombre, youre taking the micky.please tell me youre taking the micky. for those that dont use their straps for any reason, WISE UP. pam w,i have been skiing off piste for a good number of years in many countries/continents and have NEVER seen any good skier ski without using straps,especially off piste.why?beause hiking back up in waist deep fresh after leaving your pole behind is a no no.ps.if you are strapped in to your poles properly you will not get injured
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Plus a tight strap means you can use the pole to support a lot of weight.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Very steep moguls and trees are the only times when it may be beneficial to miss out the straps. IMHO Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowpatrol I agree... I spent majority of my life on skis, and never got hurt because of straps. Sure I did fall, countless time really bad, but never had problems with poles... including xc skiing poles which are really strapped so, that you can't lose them.
Anyway... anyone decides on his/her own what is good for them. Personally I can't imagine skiing without strap. Even if it looks you don't need them sometimes, they still make things easier, and you always support yourself quite lot with poles. Without straps this is just not possible no matter what someone says.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you are entering avalanche prone terrain then straps are a big no no Little Angel

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 11-04-09 22:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Lean back on your skis, stick your back bottom out, tilt your upper body forward, tuck your hands under your arms, and hold the poles with the basket ends pointing straight up to the sky.
snow report
the consensus of opinion on the thread usefully linked by Elizabeth B was that most people off piste don't use straps and that many people have been counselled by guides not to use them. Obviously that isn't universal, judging from the posts above, but it sounds like good sense to me.

I've been skiing this week with two near-beginners. their ski instructor tried very hard to wrest their poles from them, but wasn't quite assertive enough to succeed. They were really hampered by their poles. I failed to wrest them from them too, though being a bit more assertive I did persuade them just to hold them in the middle when we had a hilarious attempt at "John Travolta turns". God knows what they thought their poles were doing for them.

I'd make a bold assertion that for the majority of piste skiers you see from a chairlift poles are a positive liability, doing absolutely nothing for their skiing, no matter how they hold them. And they're lethal waving around in lift queues. Leave them behind for a day.
snow conditions
pam w, Off piste... the only time I don't use pole straps is if I think that I may be caught in a slide. On piste... poles are bloody handy to turn around... especially on the bumps.
snow conditions
Oh cripes! Poles - the new helmets rolling eyes .

Use them, don't use them, use the straps, don't use the straps, stick 'em up your jacksie if you want. But there is no LAW ABOUT IT and whatever you choose doesn't make it right for everyone.

(There, that's saved the next 10 pages - I hope rolling eyes .)
ski holidays
LOL! I can't believe there's a thread about this! My immediate answer would be "in your hands"!!

For what it's worth I'm not a strap-using kinda gal...
ski holidays
Quote:

poles are bloody handy to turn around... especially on the bumps.

I'm sure you're right (about the bumps), but the fact remains that the majority of people you see from the chairlift are not capable of doing that and might just as well leave their poles at home rather than wave them around aimlessly as they bimble down the piste or stab their fellow man in the eye in the lift queues. They're good for some exercises though - like the one where you have them behind your neck with your arms hanging over them. wink
snow report
the correct way to hold your poles is by the handles - surprising how many people hold them just below the HANDles! Laughing Laughing Laughing

snowpatrol, I must not be a good skier then, because I never use the straps. Shocked
snow report
Surely, everyone knows that the only reason we have poles is to use as "ears" on top of our heads when trying to show the rest of the group where you have stopped snowHead
snow report
easiski, i said ive never seen a good skier ski without having his poles strapped.if you are a good skier and you dont use your straps then i just mustn't have seen you ski,thats all.dont be so paranoid.
ski holidays
Quote:
easiski, i said ive never seen a good skier ski without having his poles strapped

easiski, looks like you weren't included in that wink
snow report
stevo_the_saddler, Laughing
latest report
easiski wrote:
the correct way to hold your poles is by the handles - surprising how many people hold them just below the HANDles! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Surprising how many ways instructors get people to hold them! wink
latest report
stevo_the_saddler, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Perhaps because of that business of putting them upside down and having your hand below the basket, to check length, people think they need to hold them below the handle. I am unrepentant in my belief that for many skiers, a day without their poles would do them the world of good.

One of the best skiers I have seen in a while had no poles. He was an ESF instructor, with a vast bundle of slalom poles in his arms, skating very strongly uphill. wink
snow conditions
If I stick my poles in my boot bag will I be able to take them on an Easyryan flight as hand luggage ?
ski holidays
snowpatrol wrote:
easiski, i said ive never seen a good skier ski without having his poles strapped.if you are a good skier and you dont use your straps then i just mustn't have seen you ski,thats all.dont be so paranoid.

If easiski is a good skier? Shocked Laughing

This is old stuff

skilegs wrote:
Years ago I hurt my thumb using my straps and ever since, on the advice of an eminent Swiss mountain guide, I have never used them again and never had a problem...

skilegs is a another fantastic skier. Still easiski and skilegs are only women - so what do they know? wink
latest report
A lot !!! Laughing If you have ever been heliskiing you will find that the poles provided by all the companies do not have straps - this is a safety precaution.
latest report
skilegs, I've never been heli skiing (I broke a fibula the day before I was due to go when I was in Canada). But I recall that, back on skinny skis, you were a class act. I bet you still are - and, like many other sHs, I know easiski is. Well, in her skiing anyway - the jury's still out on her choice of vehicles. Madeye-Smiley

Oh, I just know I am going to regret saying that.rolling eyes Laughing
ski holidays
Sweet Jesus - how to hold poles, complete with photos! rolling eyes Is this one is series - 2. Nose Blowing, 3. Bottom Wiping?
ski holidays
Hollers wrote:
If you're off piste in the trees, then don't use the loops at all, especially not in the way described above, as you can dislocate (or worse) shoulders if the pole gets caught in the trees.

I'm no expert, so I've several times asked my kids' instructors for advice on this when they've had lessons in the trees. The score so far is 2-1 in favour of using the straps on the grounds that you can't easily retrieve a dropped pole in deep powder on a steep slope. All three instructors were Canadian and from the same ski school, and each seemed to hold their view quite strongly. It seems there's no clear consesus even amongst those who ought to know!
ski holidays
hyweljenkins, Very Happy awesome!
ski holidays
achilles, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Said vehicle still engendering awe everywhere it goes!

Seriously, I do normally suggest that people use the straps if they're skiing where, and in a manner that would cause a nuisence if they dropped the pole in a fall. Otherwise I can't see the point of it. Children seem to let go of their poles more often than adults though. I wouldn't want to have straps in heavy forrestation though. Shocked I've seen a broken wrist as a result of the pole, strap, leg all being stronger. Sad

snowpatrol, Blanket statements like yours are ridiculous, and there was a smiley on my post.
latest report
Jonny Jones wrote:
Hollers wrote:

I'm no expert, so I've several times asked my kids' instructors for advice on this when they've had lessons in the trees. The score so far is 2-1 in favour of using the straps on the grounds that you can't easily retrieve a dropped pole in deep powder on a steep slope. All three instructors were Canadian and from the same ski school, and each seemed to hold their view quite strongly. It seems there's no clear consesus even amongst those who ought to know!

Not being funny but very many instructors can't ski off-piste to save their lives and don't do it very much. So don't ask an instructor, ask a guide.
snow report
Hollers wrote:

Not being funny but very many instructors can't ski off-piste to save their lives and don't do it very much. So don't ask an instructor, ask a guide.

Maybe. But the instructors that I asked were all giving lessons in ungroomed terrain through the trees. This was in Canada where that type of terrain isn't off-piste - it was on named, marked, patrolled runs, abeit double-diamond blacks, so no guide was needed. Easyski's personal experience suggests that straps might not be a great idea, though; I'd prefer ski with no pole than a broken limb.
snow conditions
snowpatrol wrote:
i have been skiing off piste for a good number of years in many countries/continents and have NEVER seen any good skier ski without using straps,especially off piste.

I'm surprised by that snowpatrol. I've only ever skied off-piste with six or seven guides in Europe and yet every single one of them has discouraged the use of straps off-piste.

If that's your personal experience then I'd suggest that it's atypical.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy