Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach March 2009

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi as anyone been to Saalbach this year. I came back a week ago, the resort and skiing were fantastic but was rather surprised while there about the apres ski.

There was only one bar in Saalbach open. I was very surprised at this - as the resort was advertised as very hectic regards night life.

Does anyone know if it is normally like this, or was it due to credit crunch, or that its late in season. Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
anastasia,
I Was there in March 2007, the skiing wasn't up to much as it was one of the hottest seasons on record. We had 2 good days out of the 6 but the Apres was fantastic! It started about 11.30am up the mountain, then carried on until the early hours in town! I don't know if this was because the snow was so poor & everyone just went on the ale but it was crazy! P!ssed Germans getting helped down the moutain at 4 in the afternoon coz they were too gassed too ski! Class!
Sound's like you had the opposite of us good snow but no apres.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I reckon that it must be the effect of the crunch then. there were loads of hotels shut down, not many people on the mountains or in the town. very strange. considering the fantastic conditions, wonder if any other resorts had a similar goast town feel. Confused
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was there also in 2007, I think the last week of March and for them the main season was already over. I remember most of the bars were already shut so it must be rather normal for this time of the season. However we wondered every evening from one empty bar to another until we found the busier one. Each night we found a party but every time it was in different bar. It took a lot of walking but was well worth at the end. We spoke to one barmaid and she said it gets considerably quieter in second half of March.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
anastasia, The only people really still skiing in Saalbach are the Brits tied to holidays. In season it is a huge party zone as Lucan and Tmo W say. However the main clientèle are Germans, Dutch, and Scandinavians and they are the big party-animals.

At the end of March they all switch from ski to sun mode and shift down to the Med. So for the resort and hotels things are very quiet at Easter and exceptionally LOW SEASON!!!. If you do a DIY holiday, you will get much cheaper all inclusive deals, etc. We've now had nearly 2 weeks of beautiful sunshine and high temps in southern Germany and they are all thinking of sunshine, sunbathing and warm activities. Friends of mine who run a ski school and a couple of lifts are saying that despite the school holidays they are really bored with the lack of work and are looking forward to the close of season next week.

Sue wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
anastasia, I agree with the others, speaking to my friends at Zell am See they have had a very good season from a business point of view.

However from the work point of view it has seemed very long (first heavy snow in early November) exceptionaly snowy (meaning almost daily snow clearing etc) and very busy (thanks to loads of snow).

So, much as Samerberg Sue, says they are tired and want summer much more than in recent years. Last week the lift company at Zell decided to extend the season for a week and that was not universally popular as pretty much all the hotels close this Monday and seasonal staff are leaving this week.

However, it seems that because of the exceptional amount of snow some of the lifties were happy to carry on as their summer jobs in construction etc can't start until more snow melts.

If you want to experience most Austrian resorts Apres properly you need to go mid March at the latest.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Previous year we went to Val d'isere 3rd week in April, and the resort was still quite busy, both on the slopes and in the bars. I will in future make sure that we book for earlier in the season for Austria, as it would be great to see the resort in its normal mode. Thanks
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hinterglemm was rocking!

Goasstall and the Dorfschmiede very good indeed ... Hexenhaus dissapointing... some of the umbrellas pretty good. Apres Ski Paradies great if you like the Dutch stuff (in spoor etc). Found a Kellerbar on the maindrag by the tunnel that was excellent for Apres well into the night (can't remember the name).

London pub and that complex I could leave alone quite happily.

Was an Antonia concert at the Waggeralm.

Apres in Hinterglemm was as good as I've seen in Austria (comparisons to St Anton, Obergurgl, Kuehtai, Obertauern, Montafon, Zillertal, St Johann and Steinplatte)

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 14-04-09 12:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatirishman, myself and a couple of mates (Charlatanefc and II) are in a freestyle team and the Goatstall are our sponsors.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Smokin Joe, it soothes the soul to know that I was investing in a sporting career whilst drinking schnapps and beer.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hinterglemm was rocking in the first week of March and the conditions were superb

Goasstall was very good indeed ... a bit too busy for my liking ........ some of the umbrellas pretty good.

London pub and that complex was right next door to my hotel and was great - the Moose heads on the wall in the 'upstairs' bar would shake/move to the music - most off-putting at 2 am after a shed full of beer - none of my mates saw this and all stoll think I must have had my beer spiked Laughing also a small bar around the corner full of Dutch was really rocking too

Apres in Hinterglemm was as good as I've seen (comparisons to St Anton, Saas Fee etc which are all good)

Thanks to fatirishman for using his post as a template
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rayscoops - Hotel Conrad? We stayed there too... (is closest hotel) was quite impressed. One week including ski pass half board 600 Euros. Great staff and service.

Small bar around the corner is Apres Ski Paradies - even spelt in Dutch!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Shock sounds like I missed the party. my life story. Oh well there alway next year Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy