Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

CairnGorm Mountain set to close early due to lack of skiers :(

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
CairnGorm Mountain has announced that uplift will be restricted to the Top Basin after Easter Monday with the Ptarmigan and Ciste Tows for ski uplift and the Funicular moving to access only with no uplift in Coire Cas due to lack of demand.

This weekend sees the Highlander Freestyle, the only TTR event on British snow up a mountain and next weekend sees two days of freestyle comps in Van's Dawn of the Shred III. So the park will be in tip top shape over the next week so a great time for freestyle lovers to get up the 'Gorm.

There will be plenty going on the next two weekends, but as things stand Sunday 18th April will be closing day. CML are only continuing beyond Monday due to the Dawn of the Shred Comp next weekend, lack of skiers not lack of snow has brought the decision to close before the formal close of season on Monday May 4th (Official season defined by weekend closest to 30th April).

This raises the question of just where the skiers go? Why are hordes willing to scratch around a dusting on a limited area in wild weather in the autumn, but when there is good spring snow and longer days, plus better weather the skiers are nowhere? Puzzled

So get up there while you can and if the weather plays ball and enough of you do, we might yet just get to May Day which would make it the 8th consecutive calendar month in which lift served sport was offered on the Scottish Mountains. snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bad time.

Me and a friend are planning on heading up north before the end of the season but it's an expensive trip for 2 students so we only want to go if the forecast can garuntee a good day's skiing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Maybe the Autumn 'hordes' are relatively local skiers desperate to grab a few days skiing after the Summer deprivation? As for the rest of the skiing population, by now they have probably used up their budget/holiday allocation in the more high profile, possibly cheaper and probably more snow-sure resorts abroad (or are currently doing so). Understandable as most have limited opportunity to ski and want to get as much as possible out of their holiday. I have been away for one week this year and although I still have holiday time I have no spare money, so could not afford to travel to and stay in Scotland (I live down South).

It would be good if we could do more to support snow sports in the UK, but maybe the resorts in Scotland also need to be made into a more attractive, budget friendly option to those who are only able to afford the experience on a once a year basis. I also think there is limited awareness of what these resorts currently have to offer.

Just my thoughts as a newcomer (last year) to recreational skiing. However, I remain in envy of you being near a skiable mountain and wish you luck in getting to May Day!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I feel almost guilty. I would love to ski on the Caringorm again - but I do go to Alpine resorts because I have to commit to holiday slots well in advance, and I know the Alps will give me snow.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

This raises the question of just where the skiers go? Why are hordes willing to scratch around a dusting on a limited area in wild weather in the autumn, but when there is good spring snow and longer days, plus better weather the skiers are nowhere?

Lack of competition perhaps?

In November, it's grey and rainy the rest of the lowland. So the only thing to think about is skiing.

In April, the sun is out and the flowers are blooming (so are weeds Sad ). The the hordes will stay home to enjoy the sunshine and work in the garden (or out cycling! Smile ).

Personally, I don't start skiing till AFTER new year! And rarely quit before Easter. But I understand why others don't do the same. Even for me, a very devoted spring skier, the tuck-a-war between bikes and skis in spring time is still pretty "intense".

I've had the "intention" to try ski touring for quite a few years. But each season, by the time most ski touring are happening, I'm usually too busy cycling already!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy