Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just wondering how good was the snow his season, best in 5 years , best in 25, about average etc

Poster: A snowHead
Just wondering how good was the snow his season, best in 5 years , best in 25, about average etc.

I reckon in the Alps, v impressive depths and snow friendly temps
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
been skiing for five years, it was the best in five for me Little Angel
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For me personally it wasn't all that great. I like hard and icy courses, so huge amount of new snow every few days, with no artificial snow in between, doesn't really help with getting courses hard Smile
But when it comes to amount of snow, and dates when it fall, it was really good winter. I would easy say it was best in last 10 years for sure... but then again my memory is bad, and I don't keep notes when and how much of snow we got in previous years.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well, it is of course far too soon to tell - the season is not over! It's been very good so far, but at present the snow conditions are not nearly as good as they were at this time last year - it's too hot, and has not always been freezing at night. And there's no sign of more snow at the moment, though it could well rain below 2000m at Easter.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As ever the ultimate answer is here:

http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0914-review-of-the-2008-2009-french-winter/

Pam the wigglies I'm looking at for La Tania are quite promising for Easter, showing a drop in temps and some precipitation...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As kitenski says for an authoritative reference. For me, the snow base has been fantastic - particularly at Wengen, but, frustratingly, for the two weeks I have skied so far there has been no fresh powder. For most of us, it is a matter of luck if you have fresh snow. OTOH, I have had fantastic views and sun. snowHead The company's been OK, too. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
for me there has been tons of great powder but a distinct lack of sunny days to enjoy it on..
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kendub, I tend to go to Arlberg and last season they had more snow - ie major dump at start of November and had over 4m of snow at top of Lech when season finished - currently there is 250cm. In the Arlberg this year the snow happened at start of Dec then hardly anything during January, then it just never seemed to stop during Feb and March but still does not seem as much as last year - don't know if there are any stats that can back this up, or otherwise.
So based on my own experience I do not think it's been the best season. Think the Swiss and Italian resorts would disagree though as they seemed to get the biggest dumps
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My week in Courmayeur in early March was the best snow I've experienced since 2000, a good deep base, a bit of fresh stuff on top and lovely warm, sunny days. If only all ski holidays could be like that... Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Excellent for me in January in Megève and March at Lake Tahoe but, like Achilles, my timing was wrong for lots of fresh.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's been a strange season in BC. A late start to the season, worryingly low base in mid December. Then tons of snow over Christmas and New Year. Then virtually nothing in Jan, not that much in Feb and then dumping down again in late March, early April. Blue skies today and quite spring like. More snow on the way late in the week. Still got a respectable 220 cm base though.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was hiking near Carona (Italy) early-mid Dec at 1000m lots of snow in village, apparently year before no snow at that level same period. Skiied there end of Jan, had approx a metre of fresh snow in one week. I know that some of the big Italian resorts had 5-6m snow at top
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Best season I can recall....not seen or hit a rock any time I have been out this year
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had a lucky season. At least a little bit of fresh snow on every trip, except for two (both of which I was teaching, so I didn't really feel I was missing out too much). I was skiing boot-deep fresh snow in November, so no complaints from me Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I got two weeks this season for the first time, so that makes the best season yet!
snow conditions
Judging the snow on the roof in front of La Rossiere's main webcan, I would say there is less than this time last year.
ski holidays
Here in Val Cenis, all the returning guests have been saying they're used to seeing fields at the base. Only just starting to get the odd patch of grass showing through. Locals said its the best season in 40 years.
ski holidays
From the pistehors.com article above...
To put things into some perspective Meteo France says “If this winter had occurred 30 years ago no-one would have noticed. It is just that we have had two very mild winters, 2006-2007 was the warmest on record, and that has given people the impression of a hard winter”.
snow report
It was certainly never really cold this winter (though I was away during the French school hols in February, when I believe there was some fairly cold weather). However, I am still pinning hopes on a big 36 hour powder fest before the end of the season. kitenski, I think you may be right!!!!! snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
For me, the snow was the worst I've experienced. That was in Hinterglemm for the week beginning 21st feb. Snow, snow, snow, more snow and then even more snow. Most of the lifts shut most of the time. One day of sunshine so that you could see the bumps coming. Six days of skiing the same bumpy cut up pistes over and over again. Yes, you can have TOO MUCH SNOW!!!!!!!!!! And I could only go for one week, this year.
Sad
latest report
Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
New troll crawls out of a crevasse?

Not all time epic though I've seen some good stuff on TGR from non French spots.
latest report
uktrailmonster wrote:
It's been a strange season in BC. A late start to the season, worryingly low base in mid December. Then tons of snow over Christmas and New Year. Then virtually nothing in Jan, not that much in Feb and then dumping down again in late March, early April. Blue skies today and quite spring like. More snow on the way late in the week. Still got a respectable 220 cm base though.

Pretty sure Fernie got its worst season for quite a while.

11m last year and 6.5m in 08/09?
ski holidays
This year the snow was good, but because it snowed most of the time we were there (4/5 days of 6) the visibility was poor and so we didn't enjoy it as much as last year when the snow was ok and the weather was lovely.
snow report
On the basis we are currently enjoying our 5th consecutive day of temps around 20c on our balcony at midday, there has been no significant fresh snow for two and a half weeks and only now the pistes are becoming affected I would say it has been a very good season with a good base of snow. snowHead
latest report
Boredsurfing, I agree - we've been basking in it. However, I wouldn't want to have booked for next week, given current conditions and the weather forecast.....
snow conditions
The Tea Club's take

http://www.fasttrackski.co.uk/ski-news/general-ski/late-season-snow-best-for-25-years-200903234613.php

obviously not backed up with any information, so you just have to take their word. I would tend to agree with the comments above that although there is more snow on the ground than last year we had better snow quality this time last year.
snow conditions
Below average season statistically in the Niseko Resort Area on the island of Hokkaido, Japan.

Average is 14m, so far we've had 12.1m at village level (approx. 300m)

Way more on the mountain. At least 15m I'd say.

But the skiing, especially the powder, has been superb from the end of October through to the first week in April.

The evidence m'lord

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=44115

That's three winters in a row under 14m at village level.

Next season is going to be HUDGE I tell ya, HUDGE Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For people that ski on piste, the quality of snow is much more important than how much snow there is. What use is 3m of snow if its slush, slush and more slush? (obviously, one good point is that it will take longer to melt). Id much rather have 50cm if its better quality. davidof is absolutely right.
snow report
Quote:

there is more snow on the ground than last year we had better snow quality this time last year.

Absolutely true of this area. As for the Tarentaise, my son has been in the 3V all season, currently working in Courchevel 1850 and I just had an email from him saying that "it feels like the end.... lots of slush and bare areas".
snow report
pam w,
Quote:

"it feels like the end.... lots of slush and bare areas".

On Thursday last week the piste report on Radio La Plagne had several runs finished for the season Sad at least they are honest!
ski holidays
It's so frustrating only skiing one week a season, invariably you dont get the powder so luckily there was a very decent base in les deux alpes! The only powder i've skied this season was at chruchill dry ski slope, twice!
ski holidays
It's been a great season here, cold and snowy right up until the end of March. April, however, has been tropical.
ski holidays
I like the comment in that Pistehors text that says if this season was in the 70's then no one would even have battered an eye lid at it (so to speak).

Certainly I was a good winter and plenty of snow low down. It was really nice being in Chamonix this year and there being good depths all the way to the valley floor. But I can remember much better and when you were living in the alps when we had the big years of 94/95 and 98/99 then this one seems just a "good" year but not a great one. April 27th 1999 there was still skiing in La Plagne all the way to Aime !! The resort shut that weekend and there was about 270cm in Plagne Centre and still over 400cm up on the Glacier. Montalbert had a big base still. Incredible year. This season was a good start to the year but it really annoys me when people talk rubbish and say it was the "best in so many years" etc without the facts. There have been plenty of other seasons with the same and much more. 92/93 being the most noteable with a whole seasons snow falling by end of November for some places. That base lasted all year with some pretty big gaps between snow falls and overall it was a low year but it just had so much so early !
snow report
Boredsurfing, are you honestly saying visibility > pow? Shocked
ski holidays
Its been a great season across Europe for snow. Just look at the remaining depths across the Alps. Everywhere this season seems to have had a good depth and many resorts retain a great base. Compare this season in say the Milky Way or the Pyrenees to last. Its not finished eitehr with another heavy fall possible later this week.

The season began in Scotland and the Lake District way back in October Shocked. Before Christmas I witnessed the biggest single snowfall I've ever seen in Val D'Isere so by Christmas many places had a dream start to the season.

February delivered the most snow at Yad Moss for four years and the best spell of continous skiing since 1996.
This was perhaps the day of the season for me:
http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,1310

Over at Raise there have been 55 days of skiing so far and Scotland has had some brilliant conditions. Unfortunately March and April have been warm and most of the snow has now gone in Cumbria with just a few large patches remining on the higher Lakeland and Pennine Fells this weekend.

I think its been a brilliant season and does somewhat go against the longer term trend of poor snow predicted by many.

Here in the North East of England we have had mostly superb weather since Christmas, at least away from the coast. We have had very little rainfall, lots of sun, hardly any flooding and no storms at all. The small amount of precipitation we have had has often come as snow. Walking and cycling conditions right now are as good as they get and this Easter has been quite superb.

No complaints here. snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy