Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

help... gotta take the parents!!

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking at taking the in-laws skiing next january and have no idea where to go!!

I'm a beginner-intermediate who was terrified by the blues/reds in chamonix, the boyf is a super skiier who thinks blacks are easy, the mother is worse than me and the father a little better.

Where would be best for us? I've looked at Courcheval, Les Arcs, Val Thorens and Valmorel so far but dont know any outside france. Ideally we could do with a slope outside the front door so no buses.

Having been to Chamonix recently and found the blues like difficult reds I would appreciate some input from people that have visted any of these places to let me know if they will be as scary!!

Thanks in advance xx
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hereinmyroom, Do you have to go in January? I expect we'll be doing another of Butterfly's more nervous people's weeks in March! tip: Do not put them in ski school, they will need private lessons. A good nursery slope is important. Check out here - lots of hard stuff for your bf, good nursery for your parents - just not sure about you though!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Courchevel 1650 could be ideal, the slopes above there are nice and gentle and usually very well groomed, ideal place to build your confidence

also your bf would have the whole of the 3Vs to play in
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski wrote:
hereinmyroom, ...I expect we'll be doing another of Butterfly's more nervous people's weeks .....

Oh yes! It was fab this year! www.hp57.blogspot.com
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hereinmyroom, on the whole I find run grading a little easier in Austria and Italy which suits me much better (I've had some scary moments on French blues which were an alarming shade of red). You'll probably find Austria and Italy a little cheaper too (with a few notable exceptions). But you are less likely to find doorstep skiing, although it is possible...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hereinmyroom, there are loads of places with doorstep skiing which would fit the bill. Courchevel 1650 is a good suggestion, though 1850 would be even better in terms of access to a superb range of skiing - but not the cheapest place in the world. Somewhere like Belle Plagne (part of La Plagne) could be OK as long as you're not looking for big range of pulsating "apres. Maybe it would help if you can say a bit more about the type of place you're looking for, and type of accommodation? You need a good range of skiing, particularly very gentle slopes, ski convenience, and what else?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Butterfly wrote:
Oh yes! It was fab this year! www.hp57.blogspot.com

Loved your blog, Butterfly, and it brought back memories for me too. Glad everything went well Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hereinmyroom, In a similar vein to the above, La Tania may be a good choice. Less pricy than other 3V resorts, but the 'local' lift pass covers Courchevel as well as LT - so plenty of skiing for your BF - and there is a village-centre drag lift (free) on a two sided nursery slope (one is quieter than the other) where you could build your confidence. The centre is pedestrianised and most of the accommodation is within a couple of hundred metres. or even closer, to the lifts and centre. We really enjoyed it, and had a varied group too. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks everyone

money isn't important and neither is the type of accomodation as you only sleep in it really!! apres ski doesnt have to be exciting as i have two 50+ with me who wouldnt enjoy a nightclub i suspect.

i was quite set on france because i speak french and it makes things 100 times easier when getting about but i'll def have a look at Austria and Italy --> any suggestions on resort?

I have no idea what the 3V's are btw... ive never organised a trip before i usually just get on the plane, ski boots in hand haha xx
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hereinmyroom, 3V's = 3 vallees its the largest lift linked skiarea on the planet. It has something for eveyone. Courchevel, Meribel, ValThorens, Les Menuires, Saint Martin de Belleville are some of the areas in this ski area. Price varies a lot here Lift pass is expensive but worth every penny. But your outlaws may not need the full pass. Your BF will peobably want to cover the whole area.
Skihire is expensive here I found best value by hiring through www.skirental.net
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You could look at Obergurgl, very good for ski in ski out, nice runs for those of a nervous disposition. While there are not too many hectic routes for your BF, if he gets a guide there is some very nice back country and some super tree skiing. I know it's shocking to suggest somewhere outside of France, but I am willing to take the chance! Hue to it's height, it is also as snowsure as anywhere else.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hereinmyroom, I'd go along with LDA, also Lech or Zurs, Flaine and (close easiskis's ears) Wengen spring to mind. All have good slopes for beginners and intermediates, all have interesting blacks. LDA has pitches in its reds and blues that can be a little more demanding than other resorts - but with advice you should be fine. And easiski's instruction is very good indeed. Wengen does not really have ski in ski out - but the lifts are very close to a lot of the accommodation. Even if he is good a reading avalanche risk and prepared to take heed of local advice, if the bf goes off piste at Flaine, he should have someone who really knows the terrain because of the deep holes dotted around in the underlying limestone.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So, 3x beginner/intermediates, happy with blue/red slopes, 1x better intermediate happy on blacks...no real requirement for major nightlife, prefer France, looking for ski-in, ski-out accomodation - catered or self-cater? Apartment? Chalet? Happy to share with other groups? Hotel? Any idea as to budget? (luxury, or more basic?)

I would suggest that any of the major areas can meet the requirements unless you can narrow it down a bit with regards to the accomodation.....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hereinmyroom,
Is money really not important. If you have an unlimited budget look at the Grandes Alpes in Courchevel 1850. Staff are fantastic, hotel is right opposite the main gondolas. You would win lots of brownie points with the in-laws for the hotel alone. Lots of nice blues. Courchevel 1650 is also beautiful, seems much quieter than 1850 on the slopes which is fantastic.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
...also, I did learn to ski in La Plagne and the blues there are excellent, lots of them and wide and gentle. Belle Plagne is reasonably pretty if you are used to French resorts. Good luck, wish I was planning my next trip (though maybe not if it was with the in-laws!!!)
ski holidays
Found Valmorel in france thought it was perfect but accomodation looks shocking (i know i said i wasnt bothered but a real bed is a must for achey legs)

I've been hunting in italy now as it was mentioned.

Any ideas about Livigno? Also found La Thuile but heard its not very good for snow haha seems a strange idea for a ski resort but whatever...

Guvnor, I dont think the outlaws will like a huge resort, they last went to borovets and loved it so i was thinking small. Plus i have decided after being so terrified by the blues in chamonix that i would like to demote my status to beginner Sad very worried french resorts will all be the same and i will have that "oh my god i'm going to die" frustrated feeling again!!

The BF is happy to follow me around and laugh at me he has said, wont enjoy it if i'm not enjoying it (how sweet) so advanced slopes have become less important.

HH, money is important however a resort we will enjoy is more important if you catch my drift.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 6-04-09 13:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
So, small resort, no requirement for kicking nightlife, nervous beginner/intermediate level looking to advance, Some good advanced stuff easily accesible for the BF, ski-in, ski-out.....Saintefoy wink

(Actually, despite this being my standard stock answer to most questions, I think that this would actually fit the job very well...)
snow report
hereinmyroom, if you've got a decent sized budget then Lech/Oberlech would do the trick. Nice and easy skiing around the area and tougher stuff at nearby St Anton. Fly to Innsbruck and only 1 hr 20 m away. Zurich and Friedrichshafen around 2-3 hours away.
http://www.oberlech.com/winter_en/index.html
http://www.lech-zuers.at/xxl/_lang/en/_season/at2/_area/585621/_subArea/585774/_inc/live-camera/index.html
Quote:

Belle Plagne is reasonably pretty

Puzzled
snow report
hereinmyroom, Morillon, lez carroz or Samoens (all part of Le Grand Massiff along with Flaine and Sixt) in January should be really good (it is i was there this Jan Blush ). It is connected to Flaine as suggested above. It is a beginners paradise with a long green run Marvel 6km in Morillon. Blues only a little steeper and reds that are not rediculous. Good ski schools nice vilage and not crazy money. The adjoining resorts all have good skiing. The off piste in Flaine can be dangerous as mentioned above because of holes in the limestone. This I believe is mainly in one area so a guide is important there. The main criticism is that if the weather gets bad the links to Flaine from the other resorts can close. The other Grand Massif resorts of Samoens and Les Carroz are also very suitable with some steeper terain. Getting from one area to the other is easy and the lifts are mainly good (A bit slow in Samoens but new ones are promised). The harder runs and the easier ones tend to meet up at the bottom so its good for social skiing with different levels in a group.

Skiset in morillon 1100 provided us with very good gear at a good price.

My one word of warning here is that beginners are spoilt with short easy blues in Samoens and the long green in Morillon so that they dont go and try other runs and see more of the area and push the comfort zone and dont progress as fast as they could if they were more adventurous. I learned in Chamonix and I found it helped me to push myself but this is not everyones idea of fun. I think you will love Morillon its a pretty resort as well as is Lez Carroz and Samoens town. Flaines arcitecture is not pretty but the skiarea more than compensates.

The trees in Lez Carroz and Morillon make skiing in badlight day possible. Flaine is very open and suffers when the light is not good.
The Igloo is a very good Mountain restaraunt in Morillon just of the Green run Marvel and at the top of the Red run Bergin and lift of the same name. Eat out in La Table deFifne in Samoens one night its top class and not crazy money for the quality of the food.
ski holidays
boabski,

It's fine, It's not Austria but its got great runs! Very Happy
ski holidays
hereinmyroom, I'm hopefully going to La Thuile next season, don't think the snow is any problem there, but it's not ski in ski out unless you stay in the big Planibel place. It's linked with French resort La Rosiere and apparently there is a big difference in piste grading between the two resorts...

Only other places I have been to in Italy are Andalo (very small ski area), Passo Tonale (mostly ski in ski out and generally easy slopes, but very small resort), Madonna (ski area would suit you but not ski in ski out) and Courmayeur (lovely resort, not ski in ski out in the slightest and not really very good for beginners)...

If ski in ski out is an important factor for you it's not easy to find outside of France. But the advantages to Austria and Italy, i.e. easier runs, better and cheaper accommodation, more nightlife, picturesque resorts, more than make up for this in my opinion...
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
...If ski in ski out is an important factor for you it's not easy to find outside of France. ...

Oberlech, and, of course, Kleine Scheidegg offer ski in ski out - with a touch of class.
ski holidays
hereinmyroom wrote:
thanks everyone

money isn't important and neither is the type of accomodation as you only sleep in it really!! apres ski doesnt have to be exciting as i have two 50+ with me who wouldnt enjoy a nightclub i suspect.

Not all over 50's are quite ready for their bath chairs, you know rolling eyes - some have even been known to enjoy the odd bit of apres too Shock
snow conditions
In Colorado, Breckenridge has lots of easy blues. In France, Les Arcs 1800 and Peisey-Vallandry would also offer some easy groomers will still having a great variety of terrain available for the more adventerous.
latest report
hereinmyroom wrote:
I'm looking at taking the in-laws skiing next january and have no idea where to go!!

I'm a beginner-intermediate who was terrified by the blues/reds in chamonix, the boyf is a super skiier who thinks blacks are easy, the mother is worse than me and the father a little better.

Where would be best for us? I've looked at Courcheval, Les Arcs, Val Thorens and Valmorel so far but dont know any outside france. Ideally we could do with a slope outside the front door so no buses.

Having been to Chamonix recently and found the blues like difficult reds I would appreciate some input from people that have visted any of these places to let me know if they will be as scary!!

Thanks in advance xx
We went to Avoriaz inn jan this year with Crystal ski,staying in catered chalet Violette,which was excellent,with great food.The skiing is very good and there are plenty of gentle slopes in and around the village plus plenty of reds and blacks for the more adventurous.Great little village with good bars and good food also has a cinema.Forgot to mention the skiing is all ski in ski out.
ski holidays
what about la rosiere - we took the 4 year old last week of the season, I would rate it a very beginner friendly - nice slops and a lot of space to get around on
especially for beginners
snow conditions
genepi, As one of the club I would say I don't enjoy the 'dance' music prevalent in most discos these days, but I suspect most of my generation would be happy with rock. Laughing OTOH it's almost impossible at over 50 to party all night and ski all day. Twisted Evil
latest report
Chose your ski school first. The wrong choice of ski school will mean no matter how good the resort it will be a disaster for you parents.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Les Gets would be perfect. Very pretty resort, stunning scenery, about an hour from Geneva, lots of easy skiing along with some nice reds and blacks (esp on Mont Cherry side), and if the bf gets bored he could easily ski over to Avoriaz. It's a very family orientated resort, so ideal to take the old folks to. I've been twice, and it's one of my favorite places.
latest report
davejsy, agreed, also a good British ski school there.
snow report
Alpe D'Huez. Great beginner-to-early-intermediate level slopes easily accessible from town for your first couple of days, some great cruising on medium blues and not-too-hard reds and yet also some fantastic black runs and off-piste. You can get somewhere that's pretty much ski-in/ski-out.
ski holidays
Go to the Dolomites - cheaper than France! Is utterly beautiful, fantastic ski schools, lovely blue runs to encourage the nervous and plenty of hard challenges for the more confident in a massive ski area where you can travel around and see other resort. Fantastic food and lunch places for days where the less keen want to take it more easy!!

Honestly - it's lovely : I'm not only saying that because we have a chalet there www.mountainsunltd.com/chalet/albergo-frohsinn , but because I absolutely love the area having spent a few seasons there and would be happy to advise on other places to stay totally unconnected with our company. Have a look at www.dolomitisuperski.com/en-US/ski-holidays-11EN.html and have a browse at all the resorts open to you.

Gorgeous - I could go on about it all day!! Cool
latest report
Joanne Mountainsun, France expensive? Have you never been to La Rosiere? I'm told it's good value. We value the unbiased views of chalet owners here. Laughing

And yes, I know the Dolomites are somewhere I should go to before I finally hang up my boots.
snow report
Joanne Mountainsun, Dolomites are on my list of places to visit . I had hopes to make it this season gone, but hubby's accident ruined those plans.
snow report
Joanne Mountainsun, seconded Very Happy
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, it will be worth the wait. It is absolutely stunning - the only problem being, that the Alps look a little drab in comparison afterwards Laughing
snow report
achilles, I am unbiased - because the majority of our company is in French resorts!! We only have the one Italian one, and it happens to be where my heart is. I've never been to La Rosiere - my experience of France is limited to Tignes, La Plagne, Les Arcs, 3 Vals, etc...and while the skiing is fantastic in France, in my opinion - especially for a mixed ability and age group, the Dolomites (and Austria in some resorts) is more suitable, the slopes are quieter, the scenary more beautiful and the booze and food nicer and cheaper making the all round experience very pleasant indeed!

Don't get me wrong though...I LOVE it in France too!!! And would highly recommend many places for a different set of people over the Dolomites any day! wink
latest report
achilles wrote:
hereinmyroom, I'd go along with LDA, also Lech or Zurs, Flaine and (close easiskis's ears) Wengen spring to mind. All have good slopes for beginners and intermediates.....

I realise this is verging on heresy but I would take issue with the suggestion of Wengen. Last year's MSB showed up the deficiencies in the resort's beginner area (or, more precisely, deficiencies in the resort's attitude to maintainence thereof) and my own view is that there's no proper progression from the nursery slopes to anywhere else - there are nasty bits on all the slopes off KS, including Arven which is regarded as the easiest of the pistes up there. Some of the pitches on the runs across from Mannlichen towards Honegg / Arven are way too steep to be recommended for nervous types. In addition, I'm sure I read comments from some of the more accomplished snowHead s that the (advanced) skiing around Wengen wasn't all that interesting either (hearsay, of course and I stand to be corrected)

My vote goes to LDA, although I had a brill week in Les Arcs - the Arc 2000 bowl has some great skiing for recent graduates from the nursery slopes[/i]
ski holidays
Hinterglemm/Saalbach would be suitable. Arosa in Switzerland would be even more so, beautiful resort, fantatsic alps mountain train access in to the resort, 120 km of easy blues and reds, car free town with horse and carts, resort is snow sure at 1800 meters, easy train access from Zurich ........
latest report
Joanne Mountainsun, You really should explore l'Oisans then - not nearly as expensive as the area you mention!

Red Leon, I agree - Wengen is not suitable for over 50's beginners. Sad

rob@rar, that's exactly it IMO. Lessons first, resort 2nd. Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy