Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French Speeding Fine ...

Poster: A snowHead
Embarassed

So, recent lads trip to Les Arcs, our suspicion that the strange 'flash' we experienced whilst driving on the m-way through Albertville (beware the 90km/h zone!) might possibly be telling us we'd been caught by a speed camera has been proved right - The rental car company have sent through the fine today...

A bit of googling and babelfishing (it all being in French of course) and I managed to get the gist of what i was being asked to do. Avis nicely sent me a photocopy of the fine - the online payment details are apparently on the back - and of course they only copied the front (!) - so a bit more googling and I uncovered the online payment details. It appears you get a reduced rate (from 135Euro to 90Euro ) if you pay within 15 days and due to the delay getting the paperwork from the authorities, to Avis and to me, 15 days is up tomorrow - so I decided I'd get it paid straightaway and save the 45Euro rather than fret any longer about it (plus of course Avis have charged me £20 administration)

Now, according to some reports on t'internet, some choose to not pay on the assumption the authorities won't bother chasing johnny foreigner .... I figured avis 'know where i live' and there would be no hiding place...

Anyhoo, I wondered what anyone else has done with these?

(oh, and we were also travelling in two cars, and pretty sure both got flashed so I can't wait for the excitement of what tomorrows post will bring! Of course, the 15 days is up tomorrow so if a second fine arrives, that one'll have to be full price Sad )
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Got done in Italy. Easy to avoid paying if in your own car as they won't pursue you. If in a hire car, they will pay it, then charge you the full whack plus more admin charges (they will probably just take it from your credit card - small print on contract allows them to do this). I had to pay £200 - flashed entering restricted zone, and 2 hrs later again on exit - robbing Fitzwilliams!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
did you know that if you type in a swear word it gets replaced with 'Fitzwilliams!!'
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Got flashed twice last year, in Swiss hire cars, by french cameras - never heard anything Smile

Got flashed about ten days ago, in Swiss hire car, by french camera - waiting with baited breath Shocked

Got Radared last month, in Brit pick up, by French Gendarmes - just got cheery slow down a bit wave Confused

Should just bloody slow down a bit - but it's not in my nature. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
damobloke1, i think you find it will change various words.... wee wee, for instance Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
damobloke1 wrote:
did you know that if you type in a swear word it gets replaced with 'Fitzwilliams!!'

That is one specific swear word. Various others are automatically replaced by different euphemisms.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I got flashed in the Mont Blanc Tunnel late at night year before last on the way to Cormayeur.... Gendarme stopped me on the other side of the tunnel at the italian border, took me into the office, made me wait 20 minutes while he finished a delicious looking pizza (I was starving and dying to get to the resort but I'm sure he didn't notice the large pool of saliva in front on my chair!). He then painstakingly showed me how he worked out my on the spot fine, took 45 euros off me and let me get on my way..... When we got to the hotel the restaurant was closed.... but the bar was open.... so had a late skin full and went to bed!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I got flashed last year outside Aintree racecourse by a very drunken group of girls who were prepared to do anything for a 'free lift' into Liverpool City centre.............. ooooops......sorry wrong thread ! Razz
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SnowGod, Had a similar experience minus the pizza. The Carabinierie were actually quite friendly about it (as they took my 45 Euro.) rolling eyes Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SnowGod, yeah the tunnel is one place where you get away with very little. 70kph seems slow but not worth going over it wink Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Axsman, the geezer who stopped me was almost over friendly as he raided my wallet!

kiwi1, you live and learn eh!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Richie_S, yes it's a bugger when the barstard does that. It annoys the crap out of me. Little Angel
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kiwi1, And they didn't buy my 'sorry. was watching my speedo and it said 70' (mph) excuse either Sad Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
midgetbiker wrote:
Got flashed twice last year, in Swiss hire cars, by french cameras - never heard anything Smile

Got flashed about ten days ago, in Swiss hire car, by french camera - waiting with baited breath Shocked

Don't take this as gospel but my understanding is that CH and France do not have any reciprocal arrangements so they can't impose speeding fines on each other's vehicles. Germany and CH on the other hand do, so I'm told
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Don't take this as gospel but my understanding is that CH and France do not have any reciprocal arrangements so they can't impose speeding fines on each other's vehicles. Germany and CH on the other hand do, so I'm told

My expirience kind of backs this up. I got flashed last year and again this year on the way to Meribel, in a swiss hire car. Thankfully I haven't heard anything on either flashing incident. Very Happy
snow report
Axsman, Damn, I would have used that one.
snow report
Richie_S, Not directly related but i got flashed in California once and never bothered paying the bill on the basis that they wouldnt chase Johnny Foreigner.. Years later my business partner and I were picking up a hire car at the airport in San Fran and they wouldnt give me a car as there "was a problem" being tired after a long flight i pushed hard for another car but she said it wouldnt be a good idea to complete the paperwork as i had a warrant out for my arrest.... my partner always drove in California from then on Toofy Grin
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
Richie_S, Not directly related but i got flashed in California once and never bothered paying the bill on the basis that they wouldnt chase Johnny Foreigner.. Years later my business partner and I were picking up a hire car at the airport in San Fran and they wouldnt give me a car as there "was a problem" being tired after a long flight i pushed hard for another car but she said it wouldnt be a good idea to complete the paperwork as i had a warrant out for my arrest.... my partner always drove in California from then on Toofy Grin

that one is easily fixed.. well in new york state it is.

first thing to do is not ignore the ticket. phone them up and say you have sent funds and have they received them.
then wait 3 weeks phone again complain.

ticket gets struck off
snow report
Quote:

Got Radared last month, in Brit pick up, by French Gendarmes - just got cheery slow down a bit wave

Sure it wasn't a stop here wave. Thinking about it must have been friendly as they soon send out the motorbikes.

Stopped after radar traps twice - 90€ on the spot fine. Only ever happens to me in France, when they set up traps at sites where the speed limits reduce drastically - for a bit of fund raising; namely end of a long downhill section in the A40 and the start of the viaduct towards Chamonix. Second one galling as I don't usually speed there, but had just had to pass a lorry.
Attitudes to speed are definitely changing in France, mine too so trying to stay within the limits in future. Saves money too Smile

P.S. I think governments are planning to increase co-operation over speeding and points on licence so more incentives to drive carefully.
latest report
beequin wrote:
Quote:

Got Radared last month, in Brit pick up, by French Gendarmes - just got cheery slow down a bit wave

Sure it wasn't a stop here wave. Thinking about it must have been friendly as they soon send out the motorbikes.

Stopped after radar traps twice - 90€ on the spot fine. Only ever happens to me in France, when they set up traps at sites where the speed limits reduce drastically - for a bit of fund raising; namely end of a long downhill section in the A40 and the start of the viaduct towards Chamonix. Second one galling as I don't usually speed there, but had just had to pass a lorry.
Attitudes to speed are definitely changing in France, mine too so trying to stay within the limits in future. Saves money too Smile

P.S. I think governments are planning to increase co-operation over speeding and points on licence so more incentives to drive carefully.

driving slow and driving carefully are not the same thing.
under 40mph i'm an accident waiting to happen.. i day dream.
going a "bit" faster and it's total concentration..
latest report
Got flashed in France last year en route to Calais Crying or Very sad

But i was on my bike and it was a forwards facing camera Laughing so i waved at the next one NehNeh NehNeh

Get a motorbike Very Happy

(yes i know you cant carry ski's but hey when the snow has gone biking takes over)
snow report
Quote:

driving slow and driving carefully are not the same thing.
under 40mph i'm an accident waiting to happen.. i day dream.
going a "bit" faster and it's total concentration..

I also have a bank of excuses for my speeding - but I have to say that new TV add 'kill your speed or live with it' with the crumpled little lad is very effective and gives me much pause for thought.
ski holidays
matricks wrote:
Got flashed in France last year en route to Calais Crying or Very sad

But i was on my bike and it was a forwards facing camera Laughing so i waved at the next one NehNeh NehNeh

Get a motorbike Very Happy

(yes i know you cant carry ski's but hey when the snow has gone biking takes over)

Got pulled in West Australia once when I was on a Z1000. Bobby radars me then jumps out and flags me down - thanks me for stopping as 'most bikers don't' squints at my UK licence and sends me on my way. The fact I told him I was back to Blighty within a week probably helped, and he never questioned the fact that the bike was reg in my name at the address I lived at up the road wink
snow report
beequin wrote:
......P.S. I think governments are planning to increase co-operation over speeding and points on licence so more incentives to drive carefully.

I hope so. I really cannot understand all the angst about whether to pay an overseas fine. If you are caught speeding, cough up the fine. Keep life simple.
snow report
achilles, my sentiments too. Life's too short (probably on average slightly shorter for those of use who speed).
snow conditions
achilles, Agree - although I note that some of the comments were from bikers - Darwins theory of natural selection in evidence, I believe
ski holidays
In France..IME..it depends how hard they want to work... I gave them the runaround for 3 hrs or so trying to get money out of the machine excuse
..and they sent me on my way after getting fed-up.

Of course, they made me hussle a bit but I had the time to waste..and I guess they got bored and let me go. I took all the due stern warnings from them but got let off 90eu...

My attitude was that it was worth a punt...... and it came off...but had it come to the crunch I would have had to pay it.

I got caught so my silly fault........

But...what was pretty odd was..that they camera=ed me on 2 bikes, took my passport but never gave me a ticket.....which started my thinking to give them the runaround. Now, in the UK...you know exactly what is going on, ticket, 14 days etc etc...
...but I did think the French thing was strange...and maybe the money wasn't going to be accounted for...

Surely not.... Shocked Shocked
snow report
I got done on two separate road trips last year... both were well earned....... 1st 186kmh.......... €90 welll spent in my book, the 2nd they tried to do a whole group of us (alledging we were in convoy) the 1st car paid up the others argued and were sent on theri way....................
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT wrote:
...but I did think the French thing was strange...and maybe the money wasn't going to be accounted for...

Surely not.... Shocked Shocked

It's not unheard of, if you believe anecdotal evidence
ski holidays
Guvnor wrote:
achilles, Agree - although I note that some of the comments were from bikers - Darwins theory of natural selection in evidence, I believe

rolling eyes
Natural selection.... hmm a quick recount far outweighs the comments of car drivers from myself and midgetbiker

Its also worth considering this - bikers form around 1% of the total traffic on UK roads, yet accidents involving motorcycles are increasingly the fault of car drivers (in some cases upto 50%) whom are not paying attention, whilst on the phone, smoking, eating, drinking, tuning the radio, talking, fiddling with various buttons and generally not paying attention to whats going on outside their metal cocoon. Meanwhile, your "natural selection" biker, sits higher, has a better view of the road and hazards that are incoming, can react quicker, doesnt have things to play with to idle away the time and is constantly thinking - what is that bloke/woman in the car going to do now.

Additionally, if you wish to stereotype bikers with a "natural selection" tag perhaps you should first of all think about your driving - if you drive everwhere at the speed limit, consistenly apply roadcraft to every journey and have never done anything to distract you from the task in hand - ie being in "control" of a solid lump of metal capable of killing whomever it collides with then fair enough stereo type away - however if you havent - then you are "guilty" of driving without due care and attention and are just as bad as the drivers whom year on year kill pedestrains, cyclists, bikers and other road users, citing "i didnt see them" Evil or Very Mad

For the record, i ride as the road conditions dictate, lots of cars, built up areas, unknown roads = lower speed, less cars, open roads, known areas = more speed. If i want to go fast and get my knee down then i fork out for a track day, where there are run offs into gravel traps and grass as opposed to solid objects that will see me off to ski the powder clouds and leave mrs matricks and little matricks alone.
ski holidays
matricks wrote:
Got flashed in France last year en route to Calais, but I was on my bike and it was a forwards facing camera, so i waved at the next one

Yeah, you rock rolling eyes
latest report
Guvnor wrote:
matricks wrote:
Got flashed in France last year en route to Calais, but I was on my bike and it was a forwards facing camera, so i waved at the next one

Yeah, you rock rolling eyes

Thanks Smile Guvnor

Its fair to say that you obviously dont find it in the slightest bit amusing Sad and therefore would no doubt have driven immediately to the nearest police station to hand yourself in and offered to pay 100% of the fine .... Instead of heading back to blighty knowing that you arent going to be summoned or chased for the fine ....
ski holidays
matricks, You say in one post how responsible you are as a rider - riding as the conditions dictate, knowing the road and going on track days to get your knee down etc.....very admirable, I salute you

And yet get flashed twice whilst in France, once whilst riding one handed as you wave at the camera, knowing that your number plate is not going to be identified.....in contradiction to your previous statement

So, you are either a hypocrite or a liar. Which is it?
latest report
I think there's big oohah(spelling?) in France right now about fixed cameras: it urns out that it is the same company that sells them, maintains them.....end declares them "apt" for service....Massive conflict of interest obviously and many lawyers have started to get on that line to invalidate fines...
latest report
Lincolnshire and speeding motorcycles

Quote:
Last summer on YouTube, in Lincolnshire we had two guys doing top-end, 180mph. It's got to stop
snow report
Guvnor wrote:
matricks, You say in one post how responsible you are as a rider - riding as the conditions dictate, knowing the road and going on track days to get your knee down etc.....very admirable, I salute you

And yet get flashed twice whilst in France, once whilst riding one handed as you wave at the camera, knowing that your number plate is not going to be identified.....in contradiction to your previous statement

So, you are either a hypocrite or a liar. Which is it?

Why would he be either?

Unless you are one of these people who beleive that failing to constantly abide by an arbitrary number makes you automatically irresponsible.
ski holidays
alex_heney, Post 1. Highlights how responsible an individual matricks is (or at least claims to be), whereas post 2. Suggests that despite claiming to be responsible, actually speeds on unfamiliar foreign roads one handed whislt gesticulating at speed cameras with a casual disregard for the law. So, he is either 1. a hypocrite for not practising what he preaches, or 2. A liar, who either does not ride responsibly as he states, or did not actually speed one handed past a speed camera.

I am willing to accept that my understanding as to the term hypocrite nor liar may not be to the full legal descriptive, but the above, in a nutshell, is the basis for my post.

Other understandings or interpretations may also stand true.

Failing to constantly abide by an arbitrary number makes you automatically irresponsible? Not necessarily, but do I believe that speeding is a major factor in fatal accidents involving bikers? Yes. Based on what facts? Probably none, it's just what I believe. Do I personally abide by the speed limits? Not all the time, but 21 years with a clean licence would suggest some degree of prudence about when and where I may choose to break the limit.

Anything else? I'm off home soon.....
latest report
Quote:

namely end of a long downhill section in the A40 and the start of the viaduct towards Chamonix

beequin, that's the one I'm waiting with baited breath about Evil or Very Mad

I reckon there might be something in the earlier post re Swiss/French speeding co-op as I seem to have got away with it too many times. (touching wood)
ski holidays
midgetbiker, that's BATED!! Unless you have in fact eaten a load of cheese and are now hanging around beside a mousetrap. Laughing
latest report
Lizzard, Embarassed you live and learn
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy