Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Late April - maybe Chamonix / Avoriaz - help

Poster: A snowHead
Having started a thread only a couple of days back about not being able to fit in any skiing in April, it looks like I might just fit in a long weekend around the 18/19 April.

Ideally it would be nice to be a short transfer from Geneva, so was thinking Avoriaz or Chamonix.

Chamonix:
I've never been to Chamonix before and whilst I know the season ends late there, should I be looking at any particular area to stay (it seems to be made up of a number of smaller towns)?

I found a nice looking apartment in Chamonix "just across from the nursery slopes". Sounds great, but is the right area to be staying in to find the best snow conditions.

I'm only going to be there 3 days, so don't want to spend half my time on ski buses trying to find the good bits!

Avoriaz:
Have been here once before in Mid-March and enjoyed it. Has anyone got any experience of what conditions might be like right at the end of the season?

Anywhere I should be thinking of (close to Geneva)?

[edited for spelling / typos]

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 2-04-09 13:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
abj, for Chamonix - you'd be better staying in Argentiere
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
abj,
Personally I'd go for Cham and if you want to be near the best late season skiing it's up at Argentiere at the Grand Montets area.

Saas Fee ,Zermatt and Verbier are all accessible from Geneva by public transport and have high skiing on glaciers.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
abj, yep, stay in Argentiere. You might be able to get a good late season deal at the Grand Roc apartments, http://www.agence-montagne.com/
- otherwise www.hotel-montana.fr/ is nice.
Super cheap option would be the Belvedere but I don't know what it's like. Or contact some chalets in Argentiere, there may well be some doing weekend deals at that time of year.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My only slight concern about Cham is that it seems to be often touted as a bit of an expert skier haunt. Me and my GF are both rather basic intermediates (happy on Blues and Reds) - so what's the skiing like in Argentiere area?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
abj,
The high runs are black, not the toughest black, but definately black. The easier runs being lower may not last as long at this time of year.

Personally I would consider Zermatt the scenery is stunning and on the glacier there is a good mixture of blue and straightforward red runs with some good skiing at altitude on Gornegrat as well.

Train service to and from the airport with one change.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Okay. Might need to widen the search.

Do people think that Avoriaz is best avoided in mid/late April?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
abj,
Never been in April but at that altitude I imagine the runs soften early so if you want to ski much after lunch I would look elsewhere though those with local knowledge may know better.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abj, Avoriaz closes on the 26th so don't leave it too late. Other than that it should be OK if you like the amusing 'spring' mix of corrugated concrete / knee breaking slush
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I agreee, if you're mostly wanting blues/reds, go for Zermatt or Tignes. Longer transfer but worth it in my view.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Got back from Chamonix late March, having visited for the first time. I would say that the reds and blues are at the more difficult end of what you might see elsewhere, but not too difficult. The transfer to Zermatt from Geneva takes quite a while if you are only going for a few days. Also the runs in Zermatt are in my opinion no easier than in Chamonix.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gerard McNeely,
Quote:

Also the runs in Zermatt are in my opinion no easier than in Chamonix.

Maybes aye, maybes no but the top ones are at a much higher altitude
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
T Bar wrote:
Gerard McNeely,
Quote:

Also the runs in Zermatt are in my opinion no easier than in Chamonix.

Maybes aye, maybes no but the top ones are at a much higher altitude

True, the intermediate lift stations in Zermatt are generally 400m above those in Chamonix, but is 18th April so late that the difference will matter more than the transfer time. At 100m per 2-3 degrees C, I guess it might.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beequin,
Quote:

but is 18th April so late that the difference will matter more than the transfer time. At 100m per 2-3 degrees C, I guess it might.

I guess it's personal choice. I wouldn't mind a couple of hours extra on the transfer on the Swiss rails which I find relaxing. I think you could get considerably longer skiing in the day to make up for it.

The top station which accesses Northfacing red runs in Grand Montets is 2700m and there are not masses of red runs from this height.
In Zermatt you still have a variety that are well above 2700 going up to 3800m.
If the weather is warm and springlike with a strong sun It can make a significant difference.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Okay ... I must be mad - but against my better judgement (and everyone's advice!) I ended-up plumping for Avoriaz.

As it's a short break I thought it better to go for a short transfer and to choose somewhere that I've been before (less faffing trying to find my away around).

Also managed to use my BA miles to good effect and get a decent deal on an apartment which pretty much overlooks the lifts. Very Happy

Just have to keep my fingers crossed on conditions - or practice my snow-dance! Wish me luck!!
snow report
abj,
Have a great time. Don't know if you will have to practise your snow dance there seems to be masses of the stuff around. I hope the conditions are cool and it doesn't go soupy to early.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy