Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crossing the Alps on skis

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.skitransalp.com/

I came across this link to reports on a trans alpine ski tour, from Lake Garda in Italy to the Kochelsee in Germany, and thought it might be of interest to others. The text is in German but there are some fine photos.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
good stuff - i've always liked the idea of a traverse from (say) Salzburg to Nice, but it's one of those things you would need a lot of time for!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Friends of ours did a trans-alp tour roughly along the spine of the alps from Oberreid in Austria, through Switzerland/Italy/France all the way to Merton on the Meditteranean coast. Took them about 8 weeks, spread over 2 weeks per year.

http://www.cyou.biz
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oooooh that looks very interesting. I'm warming to the idea of soing something rather epic for charity and that looks like it might be epic enough!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What has going on holiday got to do with "doing something for charity"?

Try going to help these people http://www.crisis.org.uk/ for 8 weeks instead.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

What has going on holiday got to do with "doing something for charity"?

I agree. These holiday jaunts dressed up as "charity work" are a bit of a con. Overall, the charity would get far more benefit if the people "sponsoring" just gave the money direct - the resource costs of these trips are high. It makes a lot more sense if people are "sponsored" to do something they really don't want to do and which doesn't cost much; like blokes having their backs waxed. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
the resource costs of these trips are high.

It never even crossed my mind that CSki would be claiming costs back; surely not???

Even if he doesn't, it still doesn't seem worth sponsoring him to go on holiday. Might just as well sponsor him to see how many pints he can drink in one night...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

the charity would get far more benefit if the people "sponsoring" just gave the money direct - the resource costs of these trips are high.

While that may seem logical. In reality, a lot of people will NOT put the same amount of effort into raising money for whatever charity. But they would spend the energy to raise MORE than what it cost them to do such a trip. Similarly, many potential doners also don´t always give quite as much when simply being asked. But they´re sometimes more willing to donate MORE when the fund raiser put so much effort into the activity.

Of course, one should never under-estimate the power of having a more interesting "conversation opener" before asking for money. A lot of these "fund raisers" would never have the nerve to ask for money from semi-strangers without such an agreeable "excuse".Wink

Simply put, the punter would have paid to do the activity anyway. And they are probably NOT going to donate more or less to the charity of their choice. With the excuse of "doing something epic", they could motivate themselves, and their doners, to give more to charity than they otherwise would.

I know it´s all a bit backward. But I´ve seen it worked well enough I stop questioning it. I personally does an annual cycling "charity" ride myself. Not because I feel strongly about the charity but only because I want to ride a route that´s not normally allow bikes. Wink I don´t ask others to help me pay for my fun though. I simply pay the "suggested" minimum donation out of my own pocket. Still, after so many years of doing it, I´ve finally learn a bit about the charity, which I otherwise wouldn´t have bothered. So that´s how it´s supposed to work, I guess?

In the end, the charity got more money out of these activities. It´s gotten the result after all.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd argue that people don't just give money to charity and are more likely to if their mates are doing something painful/challenging to 'earn' it, as abc pointed out. Whilst I might enjoy something like that, I do foresee a considerable amount of hardship and whilst I've never been one for a beach and booze up, I wouldn't quite call it a holiday!

James the Last, certainly not and I'm not a boy thanks!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cski, I quite agree. James the Last has posted a naive and very simplistic viewpoint. What you are proposing is very different to these charity 'holidays' one frequently sees advertised as you will be presumably paying for it yourself and your friends colleagues will be paying the charity for you to do it. You could just do it and not have a charity appeal, not quite as satisfactory for the charity I'm sure even James the Last would agree.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sponsored swim; sponsored marathon, sponsored cycle ride - all fine. But sponsored skiing just isn't really the same is it...

dsoutar, you obviously haven't read a word I wrote. I'm not pam w...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Charity gets money that it wouldn't have got otherwise AND people do something enjoyable, terrible state of affairs...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
James the Last wrote:
Sponsored swim; sponsored marathon, sponsored cycle ride - all fine. But sponsored skiing just isn't really the same is it...

dsoutar, you obviously haven't read a word I wrote. I'm not pam w...

i'm assuming these guys aren't using lifts and are doing a continual traverse. if so, that is something which is quite a physical achievement, requires considerable mental and physical skill and probably doesn't get done very often. well worth sponsoring IMO
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ah, the righteous thread..... rolling eyes
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Guvnor, I didn't mean to start all this!
snow report
Back to the first post. I don't "see" a lot of skiing (can't read german Sad ). All the photos are just walking on skis (or ski boots). Is that what the project is about, suffering in ski (boots)? Wink

I like the link by RobW better. The photos there are spectacular.
snow report
abc wrote:
I don't "see" a lot of skiing (can't read german Sad ). All the photos are just walking on skis (or ski boots). Is that what the project is about, suffering in ski (boots)? Wink

Welcome to ski touring
snow report
Can't believe how miserable people are being with someone who wants to raise money - even if it is doing something they enjoy. I did the SCOPE ski challenge a couple of years ago. I would never have found out about SCOPE if it wasnt for the ski connection, and neither would many of my friends who sponsored me. The trip cost the charity about £600 per person if memory serves me right. The minimum sponsorship to take part was £1500 at the time. I made it my goal to raise at least as much more than the minimum to cover the cost - and in the end raised over £2500 including me giving more than the trip cost scope.

Yes - I had a great time. Would I (and many others who sponsored me) given my money to scope without that connection - NO. Stop moaning - this is exactly why charities organise things like this.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy