Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do easyjet check how many Skis you have in one bag?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

We are just wondering whether to risks 2 pairs in one pre booked ski bag.

Does anyone know if they open and check?

Thanks

Nikki
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't see a problem provided your overall baggage weight does not exceed 32 Kg. Skis are sometimes weighed.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NIKKIWHITE, I've never seen them check inside, but they do weight them these days. Paying for ski carriage give syou and extra 12kgs of luggage allowance, bearly enough for one pair of skis and boots!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hi nikkiwhite,we have a multiple ski bag which has separate compartments for 4 set of skis..we went to chamonix on the 21 mar for a week..on the way out in belfast the girl at the easyjet checkin desk advised us that our bag was close to the limit of 32kg..it weighed 30kg..but that is all she said..on the way back,the guy on the checkin in geneva(obviouly these guys know more about skis and ski bags than at the british airports) looked at the bag and seemed very suspicious..he weighed it and lifted it up but because it was very busy he didnt bother opening it up or even asking us how many pairs were in it although i am positive he knew we were pulling a fast one!!..i wouldnt worry at all about taking 2 in 1 bag..just make sure you wrap the bindings with a towel for protection..cheers
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just used EasyJet to/from Salzburg. My reading is that if you book a ski bag you get an extra 12 kg bringing the total allowance to 32 kg but you can split across the bags of each traveller. So we had 1 hold bag weighing 16 kg and a snowboard bag weighing 16kg.
No problems either end. Snowboard bag weighed at Gatwick but not opened. Snowboard bag not weighed or opened at Salzburg.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We were going to put the ski boots inside the hold luggage.

We have booked 4 flights for 2 adults and 2 children.

We have paid for 2 hold bags so far and I was going to book 2 ski bags.

we are taking 2 adults skis and 2 childrens skis so as long as our weight goes not go over I could see if all 4 fitted in 1 bag and only book 1 ski bag. Smile

Thank you.

Nikki
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I highly doubt they'll open anything - too much faff when there is a long queue of people waiting to check-in behind you.

If you're worried about weight, take your boots hand luggage, that'll easily leave weight in your ski bag for multiple pairs of skis.

Actually my wife and I always take our boots hand luggage anyway. With socks and thermals crammed inside them, than also my trousers and fleece, some spare pants, and padded shorts + wrist guards, all in the same bag. I wear my ski jacket to the airport with goggles, gloves, hat, sunglassess in the various pockets. It is possible to get all your day 1 riding stuff in a rucksack that fits the hand luggage sizes.

At least if hold luggage goes missing or gets delayed (I've had my luggage go missing for 4 days before it got delivered, fortunately it was on the way home!), then at least I've got everything I need to ride on day 1, other hiring a board or ski's, and I can enjoy them mountain.

I'm always surprised more people don't do this.
Afterall what else is more important on a snow holiday than your boots and snow wear ?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This has been said so many times but I'll say it again - some airports (and in the past some airlines - not sure if this is still so) ban ski-boots in hand luggage - so check first. (You could use the search function here - the subject has been done to death.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I got two pairs of skis and a pair of boots in my ski
Bag on ryanair stanstead to Salzburg two weeks ago.
No one asked or bothered to look. I did remove the bindings
On one pair skis though and put them in my hand luggage.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Flew easyjet a couple of weeks ago - liverpool to Innsbruck.
2 pairs skis in one bag. Boots in hand luggage.

A while ago i suggested a sticky message to store info on all airport/airlines and the position in the "boots as hand luggage" debate. Still think it's a good idea as it affects all of us and gets done to death on the forum. I have emails from both easyJet and Liverpool security confirming that my boots would be accepted as hand luggage.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have emailed Liverpool airport and got this reply.

You will need to check on your airline website as to which articles they permt to be taken as hand luggage. This varies airline to airline.
Regards
Christina
Christina Smith
Customer Services Coordinator
Liverpool John Lennon Airport, L24 1YD
'Above us only sky'

I have replied stated I need to know the airports rules as easyjet say its not a problem.

I have also just telephoned the airport to ask and have been told no you can not.

Just for info.

Nikki
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Grenoble has an absolute no-no on boots & helmets in handluggage, though it was no bother going EMids/Geneva last year. As regards weight I clarified with Ryanair that their ski carriage charge includes an extra 32Kg of luggage between up to 3 bags (for skis/boots/poles). I took my skis/boots/poles in one large bag (Dakine Low Roller) and filled it up with loads of stuff belonging to my friend so her boots wouldn't take her suitcase over 15Kg. In the end the ski bag only weighed 20kg and nobody was remotely interested in its precise contents.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well I always pack boots in hand luggage and have never had a problem and in recent years this has included:

BA - heathrow geneva, heathorow lyon, both numerous occassions
Ryanair - stanstead salzburg
Astreus - gatwick chambery

Having said this if I book with anyone else i'll make sure I double check as I'd never heard of this being a problem before now.

Will search the forums as now I am intrigued as to where/when/with who this has been a problem.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gazzza,
Quote:

Will search the forums as now I am intrigued as to where/when/with who this has been a problem
Hope you've got plenty of time on your hands. There have been more 'boots in hand luggage' threads than I've had hot dinners.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well.... I just searched for "boots hand luggage" and most the hits on the first page of search results I get relate to this thread !
Then I get 3 hits relating to one very brief thread on easy jet. All the other results are non-relevent.

Then clicking on next, or page 2, for the 2nd page of search results simply returns the comment "no more articles found".
snow conditions
Gazzza, maybe try changing your search terms - the threads are definitely out there!

To recap what I've seen, Grenoble will not allow boots or helmets in hand luggage (apparently neither will Chambery).
snow report
Gazzza wrote:

Then clicking on next, or page 2, for the 2nd page of search results simply returns the comment "no more articles found".

That is what happens when there are a large number of results. You can only get at the first page of them.

You can get what would usually be the last page by reversing the sort, otherwise you can only see other parts of what would be returned by refining the search (say by looking for posts withuin certain date ranges).

I'm not sure what the limit of returned posts is for theios "feature" kicking in.
ski holidays
Ah ok thanks. Sorry - snowhead virgin here.

Funnily enough I just googled it instead and found a bunch of those old snowheads threads on the subject.
latest report
Quote:

I clarified with Ryanair that their ski carriage charge includes an extra 32Kg of luggage between up to 3 bags (for skis/boots/poles). I took my skis/boots/poles in one large bag (Dakine Low Roller) and filled it up with loads of stuff belonging to my friend so her boots wouldn't take her suitcase over 15Kg. In the end the ski bag only weighed 20kg and nobody was remotely interested in its precise contents.

Hi Butterfly

I have been trying in vain to get this confirmation from Ryanair, did you get email confirmation, or what number did you ring to get the confirmation
snow conditions
I have been on Ryanair, Jet2 and Easyjet this year with 2 pairs of skis in one sportube. Never been questioned.
You could always claim they are both your skis if anyone ever said anything.
ski holidays
Easyjet Gatwick to Lyon and back.... 4 board bags... each with two boards in each, some with boots as well.... no questions asked... Security (not Easyjet) asked us to open the bags at Lyon, but that was all...
ski holidays
kendub, I got a brief response from Ryanair telling me to get hold of the ground agent ServisAir at Birmingham, where we were flying from - I finally got a very helpful and detailed response when I found an email address for the Ground Ops manager there and contacted him. A roundabout route, but effective.

Gazzza welcome to the madhouse AKA Snowheads!! The ruling at Grenoble is totally non-negotiable. They have large signs on the tv screens at checkin and on every checkin desk telling you no helmets/boots in handluggage and that any found in handluggage at security will be removed and destroyed. Shocked
snow report
Not usually and the only time they did (lyon airport) they did not care that i had 2 pairs. Weight was within their guidelines.
snow report
Had Easyjet checked my skibag yesterday they might have wondered why there were no ski poles in it. Embarassed Embarassed

Off to the shops this morning rolling eyes
snow conditions
I nearly got caught out at Stansted last weekend. I booked EJ to GVA with one hold bag and a few weeks later booked my son's flight with one ski bag. My bag weighed 15 kg, went down chute, my son's weighed 17kg. EJ asked for XS baggage charge. I asked them to retrieve my bag (45 minutes to do this) and we rearraanged the packing to get mine up to 20kg and my son's down to 12kg. If sports bag only booked then there is a 12kg limit. If on same booking then get 32kg in total, irrespective of how it is packed. You have been warned!
latest report
A mate just flew Easyjet Edinburgh - Munich with a 25kg board bag and a 15kg checked bag. No problem either way!!
snow report
NIKKIWHITE wrote:
Hi,

We are just wondering whether to risks 2 pairs in one pre booked ski bag.

Does anyone know if they open and check?

I've never had to open our double ski bag at Easyjet UK. Some of the comments already left are true. In England we have never had a problem getting through the check in. However the sharks at GVA are switched on. We've been 'had' once. Had to pay excess baggage. This wasn't a problem as the extra cost was less than what it would have been had we pre-booked an extra pair of skis.

We have two pairs of skis & poles plus the two ski jackets and trousers in our bag and the total weight is around 18kg.

We put our boots in purpose made hold baggage which has compartments at each end with the middle section for clothes. We are usually well within the limits if we are going catered. But if S/C and we take food we tend to also take two cabin cases which are not weighed and cram those with stuff!
snow conditions
With easyJet you pay for the bag, not the amount of skis/boards inside.

Mine was 28kg in Feb and they didn't bat an eyelid.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just returned from Gatwick to Innsbruck with EasyJet and on the way out, checked in with one hold back and one pair of skis in my sportube. Couldn't resist buying some fat Head Monster 95 skis in Obergurgl (150 Euros with bindings!) but then had the problem of getting them back. I bought a big two ski bag and put my tube with my old skis inside into it and placed the new skis alongside with some laundry around the binding. Check-in didn't bat an eyelid, guess I was lucky, as each bag weighed about 23kg

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 6-04-09 20:41; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Went Liverpool to GVA with Easyjet at the end of January and caused confusion by paying for 4 sets of skis and taking them in 3 bags - obviously including a double. Won't do that again.

snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy