Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can I wash my boot liners?

Poster: A snowHead
Phew it was hot in Les Gets last week and we didnt have any boot dryers in our Chalet, the only thing I could moan about.

My boots got wetter each day, I have never removed the liners before but I saw a techie do it in the shop so I bravely pulled them out. I have dried them out but they stink Embarassed

This might sound like a blonde question but can I wash them and if so how?

Thankyou snowHead s
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
you will get loads of people saying Iv'e done it they are fine....take your own decision....the real story is

NO you shouldn't wash them, to remove the smell there are various things you can do, Storm proofing among others make a silver based ouder remover which is very effective and is used by many of the dry slopes/snow centres or you can make your own by putting a wrap of baking soda into each boot this will absorb the smell but needs to be changed every so often

the best thing is to dry them out after every day, thermic make small personal boot dryers or dampire dryzone is a silica gel crystal pack which goes into each boot and sucks the moisture out or the third way is remove the liners as you have now done
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I use Febreze on the lining to my motorcycle leathers. Maybe this is safe for ski boots liners?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
youngeratheart, for future reference massaging your feet and toes twice a day with a little Vicks vapour rub will stop your feet and your boots from stinking. Just a little and rubbed in well, espsh. 'tween the toes.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque, do your boots/socks then stink of Vicks vapour rub, or does it all evaporate?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque, With the added advantage of keeping you breathing freely too. Double whammy!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, firstly, don't stick yer feet into a bucket of the stuff then straight into your boots wink

Just a nice light smear, well rubbed especially around toes and nail beds, then socks over (repeat at night) Your boots will have a very faint menthol smell while you do this but it will disappear a few days after you stop wearing them. Gently drying your boot nightly is just as important.

Basically it kills the flora/fungi that cause the stink (and nail rot, athletes foot etc.) your socks will smell a little stronger of Vicks but won't reek of it.

After a few months your nails will be begin to get better and none of your shoes , boots etc will smell at all. Weirdly now after a day's wear my socks smell faintly floral when I pick them up off the floor in the morning Confused
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque, interesting you should mention Vicks Vapour Rub for feet. Recently went to a local chiropodist with a small problem with a big toe nail that looked a little 'manky'. Was told that it's probably a fungal infection and that the best remedy was Vicks Vapour Rub. Rubbed into the nail/toe every day it may take a while but it'll cure it. Forget all your expensive cures from the chemist, Vicks I'm told works far better and way way cheaper. May take a little longer, but I'm giving it a try

Any idea what it's got in it that kills all the nasties?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I heard that you can freeze shoes and it kills the bacteria and hence the smell. I guess it wouldn't be too far for a ski boot to freeze but I'm going to risk it with my Ugg boots as they certainly honk. Don't see how it could do any damage!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Masque, You should patent the idea, how to Masque smells. wink Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
geepee wrote:
Masque, You should patent the idea, how to Masque smells. wink Toofy Grin

Can't, while the feet are sweet the rest of me's more akin to wet Shetland pony wink

Sleipnir, I've known about it for 35 odd years as a preventative/treatment for jungle footrot. Coconut oil/butter is almost as good, smells very nice and can be used in more . . . ahem . . 'sensitive' areas . . . nice and slippery Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CSki wrote:
I heard that you can freeze shoes and it kills the bacteria and hence the smell. I guess it wouldn't be too far for a ski boot to freeze but I'm going to risk it with my Ugg boots as they certainly honk. Don't see how it could do any damage!

no problem with that approach...... cold kills the bugs
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CEM, don't think it kills fungus? And of course CSki needs to kill the bacteria on his/her feet to avoid re-populating the Uggs Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, the cold will kill the fungus and bacteria so long as it is a proper freezer {-8degrees C} but as you say it will not kill anything that is on the foot...unless of course you can detatch said foot and put it in the freezer

tea tree oil also works a treat
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CEM wrote:
Masque, the cold will kill the fungus and bacteria so long as it is a proper freezer {-8degrees C} but as you say it will not kill anything that is on the foot...unless of course you can detatch said foot and put it in the freezer

tea tree oil also works a treat
Twisted Evil

Undiluted Tea Tree can burn some skin types, so care is needed, mind, the same can be said for Vicks. For those skin-types Coconut is the way to go.
snow conditions
Wow. thanks everyone, My computer was down for a few days, seems you have all been busy Very Happy

CEM, So is it ok to freeze the liners?

Masque, Da**it last time I used vicks it brought me up in a rash. I might do a skin test somewhere I can tolerate a reaction before using it on my toes. Otherwise its coconut for me.

So there will be no smelly boots at the EoSB then Laughing

Wish I could go but no hol or money left Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Freezing doesn't kill the vast majority of bacteria, heat does. Are smelly feet bacteria one of the rare types that is killled by freezing?
snow conditions
Antiperspirant on your feet before skiing. With the anti-fungal/bacterial stuff.

Works for me - no moisture, no bugs.
latest report
I'm off to go but some vicks! Got brand new ski boots that are as warm as toast and it'll be great to avoid getting them smelly to start with... thanks for the tips
snow report
Stick them on a boil wash, but make sure you're wearing them at the time so they don't distort.
snow conditions
The best spray to use on your feet to stop them smelling is the Pitrok spray (unscented). It kills the bacteria but doesn't block your pores so you can still sweat, but the sweat won't turn stinky. I'm not sure whether it will get rid of smells once they are there though!
snow conditions
Quote:

Weirdly now after a day's wear my socks smell faintly floral when I pick them up off the floor in the morning

Toofy Grin Laughing

Er, hate to contradict CEM, but freezing won't kill bacteria or fungi [hence the make sure when you defrost food like chicken that it is throughly defrosted, otherwise you just nicely warm up the beggars that live in the meat that give you the trots]. It might slow them down a bit while they are frozen though Toofy Grin

But I like the Vicks idea...
snow report
curry-queen wrote:
The best spray to use on your feet to stop them smelling is the Pitrok spray (unscented). It kills the bacteria but doesn't block your pores so you can still sweat, but the sweat won't turn stinky. I'm not sure whether it will get rid of smells once they are there though!

The one I used was Scholl Odour Control spray. Antiperspirant/deoderant/antibacterial/antifungal. Small tin too, so easy on the luggage allowance.

I don't use antiperspirant normally - I'd rather sweat and shower - but I figured a week of sprayed feet wasn't going to hurt.

(By way of comparison, others were complaining of damp boots. Mine were dry. ymmv etc but worth a couple of quid to try for yourself?)
latest report
I tried all sorts of suggestions to refresh my liners and nothing worked.

In the end, as a last resort, i washed them on a cold water wash in the washing machine.

Smell went and no damage to the liners.

The liners are designed to get wet, so the water can't hurt them. Its the tumbling in the machine and the detergent that might do them harm but in my case (Salomon) they were fine.
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
kitenski, firstly, don't stick yer feet into a bucket of the stuff then straight into your boots wink

Just a nice light smear, well rubbed especially around toes and nail beds, then socks over (repeat at night) Your boots will have a very faint menthol smell while you do this but it will disappear a few days after you stop wearing them. Gently drying your boot nightly is just as important.

Basically it kills the flora/fungi that cause the stink (and nail rot, athletes foot etc.) your socks will smell a little stronger of Vicks but won't reek of it.

After a few months your nails will be begin to get better and none of your shoes , boots etc will smell at all. Weirdly now after a day's wear my socks smell faintly floral when I pick them up off the floor in the morning Confused

fantastic! good tip for day to day too! your a genius Smile
snow conditions
As CEM, said, some people have washed their liners, I am one of them, my Salomon Xwave 10's were washed at 40 deg C with normal detergent and then hung out for a couple of days to dry, fresh as a daisy afterwards. Kept them for a further 2 seasons. Not too sure I would do my new Intuition liners in my Dalbello's though.
snow report
Personally, for years i've stuffed my boots each night with scrunched up newspaper; works a dream - always dry and not very smelly
latest report
sev112 wrote:
Personally, for years i've stuffed my boots each night with scrunched up newspaper; works a dream - always dry and not very smelly

Read into that what you may.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyderman, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Embarassed
ski holidays
"Bounce" fabric softener sheets work in boots too I've heard. I'm lucky, my feet don't smell. Neh Neh
snow report
When away skiing - Johnson's Baby Powder. (basically talc) Sprinkle some in at night, shake it out in the morning. Keeps them fresh, helps drying, Makes getting the boots on easier too. Good for the feet, and you will be as fresh as a baby's bottom.
snow report
I washed mine in 30 deg C in hand wash cycle and dried in airing cupboard. Use only Woolite or similar 'soft' detergent.

Just skied a week in the Chamonix with my washed liners. No problems at all.
latest report
Boots own 'deodorising foot spray , pump action so perhaps environmentally friendly in more ways than one ! Put on your feet to stop the stink in the first place and i have used on boots of someone else (with permission) whose boots were really really minging - we nearly dies when in a bubble with him it was so bad... and stink gone...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy