Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hemel's Snow Centre to open on May 6

Poster: A snowHead
skimottaret, Suppose I've got to do a bit of teaching too. wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Boredsurfing, Free admission for me, all of the time.

my understanding from a couple of friends that are working up there i believe there is no "carte blanche" to go on the slope for any employees. They have told me it is very much realtive to how much teaching they do and paying customers will always get priority
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Andy_T, Gloucester is an excellent slope, but as you say Dendix isn't the nicest of surfaces to fall on (and I've done extensive research on the subject Wink ). If you're very risk averse, then maybe it's not for you, but if you're relatively careful then it's no problem. As RobW said, wear sturdy clothes - and not your best ski gear, I wear the oldest and hardest wearing stuff I can find (actually padded stretch Rodeo ski pants from about 15 years ago Cool Laughing , and an old college sweatshirt from umpty-ump years ago!). The surface is not easy to ski on, but that just makes it an even better surface for technique refinement - you have to do it right to do it remotely well. But the best thing for you is that it's right on your doorstep so you can do it whenever you want - it takes less time for me from doorstep to be skiing than it would take if I were in most of the resorts I go to, so I go (to Aldershot) at least twice a week all year round. If you sign up for an adult improvers' class the instructor will take you through exercises that will improve your skiing hugely without over-extending you, so falling should be pretty rare. And then when you get back on snow, after a couple of runs to readjust to the surface, you'll be staggered at how easy it is! If you lived closer to a snowdome I'd say go to that, but as you're so close to Matson, make use of it. It's a lot cheaper than a Dome as well.

I fall a lot as I race on plastic and I'm always pushing myself to ski faster - so I've broken a few bones recently, but skied very hard (and had a fair few falls) for a few years with nothing more than a bit of a bruise. If you want to push it a bit harder (or are particularly fragile) and have any knee and elbow pads (e.g. from skateboarding) then wear them, as those are the areas that suffer the biggest hits. Oh, and use Matson's skis, not your own (at least until you start getting to high performance carving).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Andy_T
Easy way to avoid injuries is to not fall. Smile Plastic isn't nice to fall on, but it's no worst than falling off a bike or taking a hard tackle on a football pitch. I'm at a plastic slope at least twice a week and it's only the beginners groups who fall that much - in the intermediate sessions it's pretty rare to see a faller, but sometime in the racing sessions someone overcooks it and goes flying - but even it's usually only a bruise at most and they are rarely seriously hurt.

My only connection with Gloucester is racing there once a month in the summer months.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alpinequeen wrote:
Quote:

Boredsurfing, Free admission for me, all of the time.

my understanding from a couple of friends that are working up there i believe there is no "carte blanche" to go on the slope for any employees. They have told me it is very much realtive to how much teaching they do and paying customers will always get priority

That's right, especially at peak times. My remark was in response to a quip by Boredsurfing.
I do have a full time job, plus I have to keep my post count up, so have no intention of moving to Hemel to live in a Fridge.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

That's right, especially at peak times. My remark was in response to a quip by Boredsurfing.
I do have a full time job, plus I have to keep my post count up, so have no intention of moving to Hemel to live in a Fridge.

The only reson i picked up on it was that i have skied at MK and it was mainly full of instructors "free skiing". I then went to buy my son a snowboard from Brighams only to give up as none of the TSA guys would move from their comfy sofa to serve me.

I will be skiing in hemel and probably keep my fidelity with snow and rock but i would not like to return to a culture where people only work there for free snow time!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alpinequeen, the vast majority of the instructors at MK do it because they like it, not just because they need the money or they're wanting to freeload. MK has only a relatively small number of instructors and few if any of them could be regarded as not earning their privileges. How much free skiing staff avail themselves of is monitored. People who are not contributing quite correctly do not have their contracts renewed. FWIW most of the time there are NO instructors free skiing and the only times I have ever seen more than a handful are during instructor training - ie not free skiing. Also my experience of Ellis Brigham and TSA over several years has always been very good. BTW are/were you a Hemel instructor?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 3-04-09 15:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

BTW are/were you a Hemel instructor?

No, i'd love to be but i am not blessed with the patience!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alpinequeen, really? Never before, when it was still a dry slope?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

REALLY,NEVER BEFORE. NOT ON SNOW,DENDIX,TARMAC,GRASS. I HAVE NEVER BEEN A SKI INSTRUCTOR. IS THIS CLEAR ENOUGH
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Shocked

I think that's a no, then

Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
alpinequeen wrote:
Quote:

REALLY,NEVER BEFORE. NOT ON SNOW,DENDIX,TARMAC,GRASS. I HAVE NEVER BEEN A SKI INSTRUCTOR. IS THIS CLEAR ENOUGH?
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Yes. I apologize.

Guvnor, no, it's a yes.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I think that's a no, then

It's a definite no!! If peoprle do not want to believe your answer why do they ask a question?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alpinequeen, Are you really sure? wink Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

alpinequeen, Are you really sure?

Keep the post count up!
snow report
altis wrote:
Errm....

There is at least one other Centre of Excellence:

http://www.chillfactore.com/main/Snow_Activities/Snowboard_Lessons-Prices
http://www.basi.org.uk/venue_info.aspx?vid=127

Just to clear up the confusion… at the time going to press, this info was correct, it seems like Manchester lost its BASI Centre of Excellence status but has just recently regained it. The Snow Centre is now the only one in the south!! Laughing
ski holidays
Snow sarah, There was no confusion in the original post, apart from altis's interpretation. I didn't know that Chill had lost it's status though, even if it has regained it. Puzzled

Welcome to snowHeads BTW snowHead
snow report
alpinequeen, sorry but I tweaked your post to bring the page width back to normal levels
snow report
D G Orf, Thanks Smile
ski holidays
Andy_T, Regarding the plateaux you have reached in your skiing (sorry I know this is getting away from The OP). Do you have your own (properly fitting) boots??? I have been through an epic search for the right boot this year and every time I get closer my skiing jumps a level. Similarly with skis I shyed away from stiff skis as I was under the impression Id not be able to turn them. I'm naturally agressive (only when skiing I'm very laid back the rest of the time NehNeh Very Happy) When I hired skis that I thought may be above my level they made me good enough to use them so I bought an even stiffer pair they were even better and added control to the agression and resulted in me making turns I thought were beyond me to the extent I can now ski very varied terrain well. A bad workman blames his tools but the right tools do make the job easier.
I'm not a fan of dry slopes the indoor runs are great for learning and practising new skills with out the distraction of higher steeper powder moguls. The runs are a bit short for some stuff but using them off season improved my skiing too so cant knock em. They are handy for demoing skis too you wont be able to put any ski fully through its paces in a variety of conditions but you'll at least be able to make some comparisons with other skis.
snow report
good luck for your opening day at hemel guys. hope it goes as smoothly as my experience on the weekend.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy