Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Urgent: Reprofing Gore-tex Soft Shell

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am heading out to Les Arc 1800 next week, and the weather looks a bit wet!!

I have a Gore tex soft shell jacket, and want to reproof it. The local outdoors shop has sold me Nikwax TX.Direct wash in. Is this appropriate? Is this going to mess up the soft inner wicking layer.

Any advice welcome.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Haglöfs recommended to me, when I asked, to use spray on the outside. The washing will mess up the soft lining. There is a whole chain of discussion here which you might find on a search tool.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some info here, you may find a wash and iron helps?

http://www.gore-tex.co.uk/remote/Satellite?c=fabrics_cont_land_c&childpagename=goretex_en_GB%2Ffabrics_cont_land_c%2FWashingInstructionsLandingSEO&cid=1148660785964&pagename=SessionWrapper

How to Restore Water Repellency

GORE-TEX® outerwear:
Just wash it, rinse it and put it in the dryer, be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions. The washing removes contaminants and the heat from the dryer helps redistribute the DWR treatment on the fabric surface.

If water fails to bead up on the surface of your cleaned and tumble dried garment, its DWR treatment has reached the end of its useful life. But don’t worry y ou can restore the garment’s water repellency by following the manufacturer’s instructions.

and a week is a long way away in weather forecasting terms!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
wash it then tumble dry on low will help...just don't use normal washing detergents...ideally you want nikwax softshell rather then TX.Direct

http://www.nikwax.co.uk/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=4&activityid=-1&itemid=-1&fabricid=-1

http://www.nikwax.co.uk/en-gb/products/productdetail.php?productid=56&activityid=-1&itemid=-1&fabricid=-1
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ringingmaster, I had a bad experience using Nikwax TX.Direct Spray-On (not a wash-in one, though). It did not work on my Regatta coat at all...

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 1-04-09 3:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I thought that you weren't supposed to waterproof Goretex, or is that just hard shells?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
richmond, you just want to do it with the right products.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You need to wash goretex and other similar fabrics (with pores) as the pores get clogged with dirt which causes water ingress by osmosis: ie they will leak if you don't. Wash mine once a year but probably a bit too often TBH unless reallly dirty. CEM pointed out that the wash in stuff bonds to the outer better than the spray on and keeps the DWR fresh for longer
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My experience also: wash-in works better than spray-on (if you have the choice).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
But this is not about a a hardshell, but a softshell jacket with a soft fleece lining. If you use wash in, you will automatically waterproof the lining too. This cannot be good.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have gone for the NIKWAX soft shell spray on. I will Keep my fingers crossed!!! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ringingmaster, well, fortunately you can test it right in your bathroom.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
demos wrote:
But this is not about a a hardshell, but a softshell jacket with a soft fleece lining. If you use wash in, you will automatically waterproof the lining too. This cannot be good.

My Arcteryx Goretex softshell has no lining.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You mean it has absolutely no soft fleece like material inside it? Ok, I didn't know that. However, ringingmaster said that his does - or so I understood.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
demos wrote:
You mean it has absolutely no soft fleece like material inside it? Ok, I didn't know that. However, ringingmaster said that his does - or so I understood.

yup, it's softshell shell Wink
ski holidays
Ahaaa. The reason why I am surprised is that Haglofs, all of the softshells I have seen from them incl. the one I have, have a thin fleecelike lining though they are really shells.
snow conditions
my rab has some fleecey bits, but as I mention above you get specific softshell wash in.
snow report
Yes, mine does have a thin fleecy wicking layer on the inside. I have been in touch with NIKWAX, and they said that the NIKWAX soft shell wash in should NOT be used for soft shell with a wicking layer as it will stop it wicking.
ski holidays
just checked mine, it does indeed have a slightly furry feel inside, it's not what I would call a fleecy layer, but it's not the crisp packet texture from the proshell stuff I looked at!!

What did NIXWAX suggest ringingmaster, ?
snow conditions
richmond wrote:
I thought that you weren't supposed to waterproof Goretex, or is that just hard shells?

I'm with richmond on this. Isn't the idea of Goretex being that the pores in the fabric are big enough to allow wicking but too small to let in water?

Hopefully the outdoor fabric guru that is JT will be along soon to give a definite answer
snow conditions
spyderjon, The waterproofing on Goretex is actually just for the face fabric to encourage water to bead and run off. With aging the fabric becomes a bit dirty and fluffy and once it wets out it tends to block the transmission of vapor though the membrane beneath it. A wash, ironing and reproofing soon sorts this out.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
just checked mine, it does indeed have a slightly furry feel inside, it's not what I would call a fleecy layer, but it's not the crisp packet texture from the proshell stuff I looked at!!

What did NIXWAX suggest ringingmaster, ?

The 'fleecy' layer on my could probably be described as thin and fury - it is nothing like a conventional fleece. NIKWAX suggested the 'Soft Shell spray on'. You wash the jacket, then spray it on, and gentally massage in any beading solution. I did it tonight and it is now drying. I will let you know after next week if it is still breathing. I got some on my hand, and it now appears to be waterproof. Laughing
snow report
I have used NIKWAX PRODUCTS on my Mountain Equipment soft shell Jacket and Guide pants and can vouch for their proofing qualities - everything will be fine Cool
ski holidays
Scarpa wrote:
spyderjon, ......With aging the fabric becomes a bit dirty and fluffy......

I see. I never keep my gear that long wink
snow report
spyderjon, I had the old Berghaus for 18 years before relegating it to 'fishing jacket' Laughing
snow conditions
spyderjon, I'd have thought that you'd just wax yours NehNeh
ski holidays
Well following a warm, and at times wet week in Les Arcs, I can confirm that my GoreTex Soft Shell is still both waterproof and breathable.
snow report
Scarpa, still got my Alpine Extreme...lovely colours.. wink don't use it tho...

That was the time when Berghaus made good stuff... IMV
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT, I use mine for sea fishing Toofy Grin
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
richmond wrote:

I'm with richmond on this. Isn't the idea of Goretex being that the pores in the fabric are big enough to allow wicking but too small to let in water?

Hopefully the outdoor fabric guru that is JT will be along soon to give a definite answer

You are supposed to re-proof Goretex occasionally. After several washes, the outer layer tends to lose some of its beading properties. I use Nikwax products and just follow their recommended washing/proofing instructions:-

Hardshell - Wash with Tech-Wash, proof with TX.direct wash-in
Softshell - Wash with Tech-Wash, proof with Softshell proof wash-in

For insulated jackets it's better to use the spray-on version of proofer so it doesn't affect the lining etc.
You don't have to proof them on every wash, only when you can see areas that are not beading up very well.
latest report
Goretex do at least 2 types of softshell: high and low loft. Arcy T use the low loft stuff on say the Stingray and Haglofs use high loft (thicker and fluffier) on the Couloir.
snow report
Scarpa wrote:
With aging the fabric becomes a bit dirty and fluffy and once it wets out it tends to block the transmission of vapor though the membrane beneath it.

Also an interesting thing is that if you ever find yourself in water with jeans on you can tie knots in the legs and actually inflate them as a make shift flotation aid. The wet fabric will hold air.
ski holidays
I use Nikwax or Grainger's washes and wash thru proofing and have done so with success for over 20 years on various things with varied success (SOS "tea bag" fabrics didn't work too well (SOS, Made for Skiers by Skiers who don't ski unless it's sunny)).

I have just (Nikwax) TX-Washed and TX-Softshell proofed my 5 year old Arc'teryx Gamma AR softshell jacket and not only does it look much better, the DWR seems to have been restored.

AFAIK, there are two (at least) components to a Gore-Tex (or other membraned) garment. The Durable Water Repellant (DWR) of the fabric itself and the water transmission of the membrane (designed so that, at least in principle, internal humidity from sweat makes it's way outside and rain, snowmelt, etc. stay outside). The membrane's the really important element.

AFAIK, use a tech wash as ordinary soap powder kills the DWR and blogs the membrane's pores. Tech wash can partially restore the DWR and unclogs the membrane. The wash through proofer simply restores the DWR so that you don't look as bedraggled, so is partially "optional".

See http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satellite/content/care-center/washing-instructions
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy