Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne, France

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all!

I have been searching for ski deals/ packages for easter holiday with a family of 3 adults.

Saw a package for Le Plagne, France in Lastminute.com, has Anyone been there?

Would be grateful if anyone can recommend us with some good deals, places to go... as march is almost over!

THANKS!!!!!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nl28, it's a dump... but not a bad place to be late in the season as it's high and has had plenty of snow this year. I went there in '94, never again...

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 29-03-09 19:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We stayed in Plagne Villages earlier this year. Great resort. Would definitely go again.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nl28, I've been there twice, so I obviously didn't see it in the same light as red 27. Many of the resorts are very ugly i.e Plagne Centre, Aime La Plagne etc. I stayed in Belle Plagne both times which is much nicer on the eye and handily placed for all the skiing. It has a great ski area and is now linked with Les Arc if you get the Paradiski lift pass. Don't expect too much from the apres ski though, but if that's not an issue, then go for it.

I would go back there if the deal was right.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nl28, fairly bog standard French high level resort. Been twice both times to Plagne 1800 (back in the 90's), thought OK but Plagne 1800 was then underdeveloped. Pick your base with care P Centre is a 60's dump, P Aime a big office block, P Villages looked OK, P Bellcotte 70's dump. Outlying villages from my memory looked OK, but probably not good this late in the season. Not meant to be good for advanced / off piste but to be honest when I went wasn't looking for that! Now it's linked to Les Arcs it's big. Hope this helps Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Plagne 1800 doesn't have great links - only been there once, but a slight hassle getting into the main area. For choice, I'd stay at Belle Plagne.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nl28, La Plagne? Wonderful place.
Have you got any more details of your Lastminute.com deal?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
La Plagne some of the best off piste in the Alps, for example see BernardC's recent trip reports

La Plagne is now part of Paradiski, I'll be back there again on Friday Laughing

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 29-03-09 19:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stayed in plagne 1800 twice. Loads of skiing in la plagne. I don't think any of the villages are nice but theres plenty of skiing. And you can go over to les arcs too.

Stay away from Bellecote at about 3pm-4pm as the quese will be interminable.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fleetelise, You obviously didn't get down to Montalbert, Champagny, La Roche, Les Coches etc etc Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jonpim wrote:
Have you got any more details of your Lastminute.com deal?

not sure if it will work, but this is the deal i'm talkin about

http://www.lastminute.com/site/travel/holidays/holiday-details.html?skin=engb.lastminute.com&DCABT=3&dim46=2&dimension45=All+London+%3A%3A+London+Gatwick+Apt&destText=&sId=3&maxOffset=10&children=0&adults=3&searchType=basic&departureAirport=LGW&dim14=16%2C6-9+nights&depDay=2&expandThreshold=5&productId=110369&sourceType=2&minChildAge=-1&maxResults=10&childAge0=-1&childAge1=-1&childAge2=-1&childAge3=-1&childAge4=-1&childAge5=-1&childAge6=-1&childAge7=-1&maxChildAge=-1&dimension5=-1&dimension0=Ski+%26+winter+sports&discount=0.0&dateRange=20090331-20090504&depMonth=4&dimension23=-1&durationRange=6-9&sortBy=0%2C1
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Try direct with SkiWorld:

http://www.skiworld.ltd.uk/ski/chalet-holiday/skiing-La-Plagne/Fend-L-Air/74
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nl28, your link worked fine. Seems ok on first impression, but I would need more details.
1. Just what does this "70 metres (approx) walk along the track in front of the chalet" involve?
And how snowsure is this "snowy path" for skiing back?
Request a map showing exactly where the chalet is,
2. Exactly how big is this place? Get at least some details of area in square metres.
A plan of the chalet should be requested.
3. You have one bathroom and one shower room, and two toilets (one in the bathroom). Is this OK?
This would be ok for me if had taken over whole chalet with friends.
Not so good with strangers.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well done altis.

nl28, I suggest you phone skiworld for details.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jonpim wrote:
nl28, your link worked fine. Seems ok on first impression, but I would need more details.
1. Just what does this "70 metres (approx) walk along the track in front of the chalet" involve?
And how snowsure is this "snowy path" for skiing back?

If it's where i think it might well be then at the bottom of the nursery slope in PC there's a bridge that takes you over a road and then down a blue run (les mines) which then runs into 1800 village. As you go down this run there are a few right turns that you can take that are paths that access the chalets. It's likely that in april those paths will be walking only, so you might have to walk along to the piste prior to taking skis on / off. Note also that the snow on les mines is generally of poor quality, and it's not the easiest run for a one week skier.

Also note that currently the only lift out of 1800 takes you up to Aime La plagne, whereupon you would have to take a second lift and run to plagne centre, therefore you might struggle to make 1st lessons in plagne centre unless you take the bus up the hilll
ski holidays
nl28, Good skiing, not nice on eye, quite expensive for drinks and food and few queues at some bottlenecks. Although I enjoyed my holiday at Belle Plagne a few years ago doubt I would return
latest report
nl28, note that those saying that they probably won't go back are qualifying their comments with
Quote:

a few years ago
and
Quote:

I went there in '94

but this quote is based on this season
Quote:

There's a moral in there somewhere Toofy Grin
snow report
Jonpim is La Plagne Man. Tidy skier, so I think his view worth taking note of.
ski holidays
Hi,
Don't go for the architecture but together with Les Arcs is the second biggest ski area in the world-can't be all bad huh? Great skiing. It is expensive so make use of happy hours!
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, 2006 Belle Plagne - and it was supposed to be the nicest of the 'villages' Puzzled . As I said skiing good, but Austria for me every time
latest report
The best website for La Plagne is here
http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/index_ENG.html

boabski, hmm, Village has may interpretations. Laughing The original villages are down at Montalbert Champagny etc anything above La Roche is purpose built, (so high that no one lived up there) Toofy Grin
ski holidays
nl28, I've just come back from La Plagne staying in Plagne 1800. As a snowboarder I was pleasantly surprised given some of the comments about it being an intermediates resort with a lot of flat sections on many of the pistes. Although the latter is true it wasn't much of a problem as you get plenty of warning that they are coming. Plus in at least two places there are rope tows to help you along. There is tons of off-piste and a surprising variety between runs as well as on the fringes so you can get a taste of what it is like in powder. The snow cover was pretty good above 1500m and we had about 20 cms in one dump during the week. If you can get down to the lower villages e.g. Montalbert, Montchavin, Les Coches or even over the back to Champagny-en-Vanoise you will be rewarded with quieter slopes as many people seem to stay around Plagne Centre, Belle Plagne and Plagne Bellecote. We tended to avoid those three places until the end of the day as the runs get congested with learners and speed merchants - not a good combination. Go too low however and it will get slushy.
One of the ski instructor orgs (ESF I think) came and picked up the beginners from Plagne 1800 in their own minibus so there was no scrambling up to Aime and poleing across to Centre to make an early lesson.
Plagne 1800 is pretty small so you won't be too far from the pistes. There are only two bars there only one of which (La Mine) we went to as it was conveniently situated right next door to our chalet. Further up on the loop road less than 5 mins stroll is the other bar, a Spar, Tabac and Ski hire shop. If you don't like the beer prices in La Mine there are the usual cheap supermarket deals in Spar. It's also severely limited for restaurants so a trip on the bus up to one of the other villages will probably be necessary on the hosts night off. Pretty much everywhere on the mountain is expensive apart from Croq Neige in Plagne Centre. It's a burger bar cafe next to La Grolle restaurant which is also supposed to be good. Both are adjacent to the slopes not far from the Grand Rochette gondola.
I agree that it's not the prettiest resort I've ever been to, but is that really an issue? Isn't the snow more important? And as has been pointed out you can get over to Les Arcs too if you really feel the need.
snow report
Good post ajl. And excellent point about "architecture". Who cares?
I want good snow, comfortable accomodation, and a friendly bar (one is quite enough).
If you want fancy architecture, try Barcelona or Venice.
snow report
I have skied both La Plagne and Les Arcs, but not since the nineties. They each have a huge skiing area, and now that they are joined together it's even better. We're going to Wengen for our "main" skiing holiday next year but almost certainly going to Le Paradiski for our "secondary" week.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 30-03-09 14:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Jonpim,
Quote:

Who cares?
Me.
latest report
Jonpim wrote:

I care! Smile Four words that I associte with my love of skiing are Adventure, Beauty, Peace and Freedom. I don't want 'fancy architecture' - Alpine Vernacular suits me fine - but some resorts, and I count La Plagne and Les Deux Alpes among them, are so ugly and the development so ingongruous (sp?) that they actually make me wish they didn't exist and and such I feel wrong being there.

(BTW I have tried both the places you mention but conditions were poor, even on the Upper Slopes)
latest report
Quote:

I want good snow, comfortable accomodation, and a friendly bar (one is quite enough).

SorryJonpim, but I'm with Hurtle, and red 27, on this one. La Plagne is like dropping some of Glasgow's housing schemes onto some lovely scenery and is butt ugly - it really detracts from the scenery. Loads of Austrian resorts have loads of buildings that are 20-40 years old but have been built in a very tradtional way - the result being that the village retains it's feel and is therefore very appealing to the eye. Val d'Isere for example has been done quiet nicely using traditional building materials (La Daille??? excluded), so the French can do it, but clearly in the 70's etc they totally f***ed up.
latest report
I have been to La Plagne twice and I would recommend it to anyone, unless they want a bit of Austria in France! Both times I have stayed in Belle Plagne, which is quite nice in my opinion. Fantastic area to ski, which is why we go.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boabski wrote:
Quote:

SorryJonpim, but I'm with Hurtle, and red 27, on this one. La Plagne is like dropping some of Glasgow's housing schemes onto some lovely scenery and is butt ugly - it really detracts from the scenery. Loads of Austrian resorts have loads of buildings that are 20-40 years old but have been built in a very tradtional way - the result being that the village retains it's feel and is therefore very appealing to the eye. Val d'Isere for example has been done quiet nicely using traditional building materials (La Daille??? excluded), so the French can do it, but clearly in the 70's etc they totally f***ed up.

Sure and when were you last in la plagne?

I think you'll find they're doing a pretty decent job in most places of 'prettifying' the resort. Ok so they need to blowup the 'battleship' of Aime 2000 and the towerblocks in PC aren't that great but most of the rest is reasonably inoffensive / getting better..
snow conditions
bertie bassett, 2006, for the second time on this post. Pay attention wink
ski holidays
I have a lot of sympathy with the ugly architecture line of thought. But apart from it's great variety of off-piste skiing it has a hugely redeeming feature for those poeple for whom aesthetics are important in that the views from the ski area are superb. Much better than many other Tarentaise resorts whose immediate surroundings are a little bland by Alpine standards.
Has anyone seen a more boring alpine valley then the Belleville valley?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 30-03-09 18:54; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I was there last week, staying in La Plagne Centre, and enjoyed it. The buildings there arne't pretty but the view from our piste side appartment was great.
ski holidays
bertie bassett, The battleship of Aime 2000 is now a French listed building of national importance Very Happy The interior but still reminds me of a sea link ferry c.1978 Very Happy
After all is said and done La Plagne is prettier than Les Menuires which in turn leaves Avoriaz standing in the 'pretty' league Laughing
snow conditions
Who says it ain't pretty:

View from chalet door by night:

Wallace and Gromit Land above Plagne Centre:
ski holidays
Even looks good in the Summer Very Happy
snow report
Even the 'ugly' bit Very Happy
ski holidays
The 'proper' villages look pretty good Very Happy
snow conditions
rich.ll, you are like me (and one or two others here):
You look out from your apartment/hotel-room and admire the view.
Snow covered mountains always look lovely.
It would seem others here stand on the piste and stare at their apartment/hotel-room.
Hey ho. It takes all sorts.
I think we've got it right. snowHead
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
Jonpim wrote:

I care! Smile Four words that I associte with my love of skiing are Adventure, Beauty, Peace and Freedom. I don't want 'fancy architecture' - Alpine Vernacular suits me fine - but some resorts, and I count La Plagne and Les Deux Alpes among them, are so ugly and the development so ingongruous (sp?) that they actually make me wish they didn't exist and and such I feel wrong being there.

(BTW I have tried both the places you mention but conditions were poor, even on the Upper Slopes)

Is that why you like Cervinia so much? Puzzled
snow report
my OH is going tomorrow, I am so jealous, it's got snow! I do agree that it is nice to be in a pretty resort, but at the top of the mountain, no buildings in sight...who cares...not me. OH is going on a lads short break and staying in the club med hotel in PC, probably the worst offender in the ugly building competition!! Still wish it was me though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy