Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Route to St Anton

Poster: A snowHead
A few parts to this so bear with me Smile

1/ What is the off piste likely to be like in 3rd/4th week of April in St Anton? Was looking to some courses/guiding there.
2/ If I go, I think I will have to fly into Innsbruck from Bristol. How can I then get into St Anton cheapest possible. I don't really want to rent a car if I don't have to but actually it might work out easier as I can go door to door to hotel with all my kit. What are some good accommodation options for not too much in St Anton?
3/ I then need to get to Amsterdam and think I'm going to have to fly from Zurich for this. What are the connections from St Anton to Zurich like? I know a lot of the buses in some of the ski resorts don't run outside of normal 9to5 working hours. Any trains? Again, I could drop off a rental car at Zurich but then I'll have to pay a charge so not sure what works out best.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GordonFreeman, St Anton to Zurich is best done via the Arlberg Express scheduled bus service - 45€ one way, an excellent service. Take a look at their website arlbergexpress.com
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
GordonFreeman, excellent train service from St Anton to Zurich
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks. What do you think the accommodation options will be like 6th-12 April ?
And connections from Innsbruck? ...or is Zurich a better option for flights?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GordonFreeman wrote:

train from innsbruck is dead easy...station in st. a is right in the middle of town..
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
GordonFreeman, Zurich is much better for flights, BA and Swiss from LHR and LCY, Innsbruck is Orange only and they want £££.

Can't comment on accoms, but St A is a big town and that is very very late in the season so you will be spoiled for choice I would say...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bertie bassett wrote:
GordonFreeman wrote:

train from innsbruck is dead easy...station in st. a is right in the middle of town..

And getting around St Anton, eg to hotel. I don't know how compact the town is or whether taxis are cheapish...

red 27 wrote:
GordonFreeman, Zurich is much better for flights, BA and Swiss from LHR and LCY, Innsbruck is Orange only and they want £££.

Can't comment on accoms, but St A is a big town and that is very very late in the season so you will be spoiled for choice I would say...

Easter though...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
true... I can't offer anything except my good wishes. Enjoy the crowds, enjoy the slush! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Innsbruck to StA by train is about an hour IIRC, but you'll have to get from the airport to the station; there's a bus, I believe. In StA, the station is pretty much in the middle of the town (it used to be right in the middle, but has been moved a bit).

There are plenty of reasonably priced pensions (the Tourist Office is your friend), the further you are from the main lifts, the cheaper. St Anton isn't huge, but it's long and skinny, so you could be half an hour away from the station/lifts, or 5 mins. No idea about taxi costs; probably horrendous.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
StA is a pretty big town - certainly big enough that carrying luggage from the station to the more distant accom places could be quoiet a chore.

Standard taxi fare within StA during the day this is, from memory, about EUR9. After hours is a bit more - cannot remember what I paid to get to the station at 6am (I think I was sobbing too much!). Perhaps EUR15?

Train from Zurich to StA is very convenient. Check www.oebb.at for times. Trip is about 2 1/2 hours.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GordonFreeman, Innsbruck is definitely best airport to get to St Anton from. An hour by taxi - but probably €160 each way and train just over an hour. Have never done via Zurich but based on the fact it's twice the distance that Innsruck is....you do the maths. Friedrichshafen is another alternative (Ryanair) with good bus at weekends (waits for the flight) or train links, but you do need either one or two changes. If you can go to Innsbruck with easyJet easilly enough, then without doubt that would be my choice.
Take a car and the likelihood is that you'll need to pay for parking whilst in St Anton, unless your hotel/guesthouse offers it for free.
This webiste gives you the lowdown on various ascpects of St Anton http://www.st-antonamarlberg.co.uk/
If you can try to stay in Dorf (town centre) or Oberdorf (between centre and Mooserwirt) - you can usually use the filter on the St Anton website under room search. If statying in Nasserein, make sure you're close to the gondola or staying in Dorfstrasse. If you open the interactive village map you can then choose accomodation based on its location/star rating etc - very good for finding rooms close to lifts/slopes.
If you're not bothered about the apres ski you could base yourself in Stuben which is cheaper than St Anton and has better snow and has quieter slopes http://www.stuben.com/index.php?id=3&L=1 Langen train station only a couple of minutes away from Stuben
Good luck
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For Nasserein, I think Boabski means try to be close to Nassereinerstrasse for the Linie 4 ski bus runs along to Alt St Anton. Linie 4 stops at Nassereinbahn (ie the gondola) and West Terminal, where you can hook up with the buses that go to Zurs/Lech and the Rendl shuttle. West Terminal is also within walking distance of the Galzigbahn and Gampenbahn.

A plus for using Zurich is that more airlines service that airport, but I must confess I am not familiar with the UK budget airlines, because I fly in from Australia. There is a train station at Zurich airport, from which you can connect to a mainline train at Zurich HBf. There are many trains that run from Zurich HBf through to StA, ie no train changes. There is also the Arlberg Express bus from Zurich, but I have not used it.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bertie bassett wrote:
it used to be. Since around 8 years ago it is now other side of the main road and a taxi ride to wherever you're staying.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

For Nasserein, I think Boabski means try to be close to Nassereinerstrasse for the Linie 4 ski bus runs along to Alt St Anton. Linie 4 stops at Nassereinbahn (ie the gondola) and West Terminal, where you can hook up with the buses that go to Zurs/Lech and the Rendl shuttle. West Terminal is also within walking distance of the Galzigbahn and Gampenbahn

No I didn't. If you stay in Dorfstrasse either in Dorf or Nasserein, you're staying in the main st, so if staying in Nasserein part of Dorfstrasse, you're a 2 min walk to Nasserein gondola and a 5-10 walk back from the Picadilly, depending of course on how pissed you are wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Okay, I am going to be pedantic - Dorfstrasse does not actually go into Nasserein. See: http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/winter/userfiles/PDFs/OP-StAnton08-09_Winter.pdf That is however very pedantic, so I will apologise now. Madeye-Smiley

Boabski is right, with probably all of Dorfstrasse within 5 - 10 min walk of a lift.

I have not ever stayed in the Dorf, and suspect it might not be all that quiet for those who enjoy some sleep this side of midnight. I started staying in Nasserein with a family many years/trips ago and have never been inclined to change. They look after us too well. It is also quiet for those boring f#rts who like to get an early night (and get the best snow next morning).
ski holidays
3rd 4th week of April is very quiet. There is nothing like the noise,party atmosphere in Dorfstrasse you get in Feb or March. Many of the disocs and bars are shut by then.

FYI nearly all bars shutdown Saturday 18th April
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:
bertie bassett wrote:
it used to be. Since around 8 years ago it is now other side of the main road and a taxi ride to wherever you're staying.

True. And not an improvement for the visitor, IMV.
snow report
The train station in St A isn't that from the main lifts (10 mins walk), so if you're staying reasonably central and don't have a ridiculous amount of luggage, walking's not a problem (it's what we did when we arrived by train). If you're staying in Nasserein, though, it might be a bit far with kit. It's ashame that you no longer have to wait for trains to cross the main street, however, and the old station is much more attractive than the (perfectly inoffensive) new one.
ski holidays
ulmerhutte, I stand corrected. I thought that Nasserein started around about the church but it starts beyond the gondola. Have stayed on Dorfstrasse a few times and noise has never been an issue - probably too 'tired' shall we say after downing 6 pints at Griabli/Mooserwirt followed by same again at Picadilly Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

And getting around St Anton, eg to hotel. I don't know how compact the town is or whether taxis are cheapish...

Nothing ....absolutely nothing is cheap in St Anton!!
snow report
So, the week after Easter is unlikely to be good or have good off piste going? Too warm by then I guess...
latest report
GordonFreeman, you never know.... you'll need fresh snow and an alarm clock
snow conditions
northantsred wrote:
Quote:

Nothing ....absolutely nothing is cheap in St Anton!!

Ahhhh, that is the advantage of coming from Australia. While StA is probably expensive compared to many resorts in Europe, compared to skiing in Australia it feels like a bargain. Accom, lifts, and (good) mountain food are so much cheaper in StA. You would also be horrified at the attitude to service at many Australian resorts, especially at on-mountain cafes, and from resort management and the lift company. Do not want to derail this thread so I will stop there...

Have never skied in StA in April, but I noticed last year that the resort closed with over 4m on the upper mountain. You can get lucky. Yes, it will probably get slushy early, but your chances of skiing on sunny days are probably quite good.

Boabski... yup, 6 pints will do it. wink
snow conditions
Snow in April is often some of the best of the season.

If you come at the end of April its great to watch DER WEISSE RAUSCH - 25. April 2009. A fantastic spectacle.

http://www.sportarena.tv/stage6/tv_video.php?videoId=240
ski holidays
Innsbruck is very convenient to get to St Anton and a bus goes from Innsbruck airport to the Innsbruck train station for five Euros, taxi last year to St Anton from Innsbruck was 160 Euros and train was about 20 Euros one way and took just over an hour. Best to stay in Dorf imv and you can walk to most accom there from the train station. Loads of B&Bs near the church etc.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy