Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trip Report .... Couloir de Breche de Rossets (La Plagne)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Scribblings from The Tarentaise .. Couloir de Breche de Rossets (La Plagne) March 12th 2009

Apologies that these Trip Reports are appearing as a sort of ‘Burst Transmission’, but I just didn’t have the time and I am just sorting them out, on the odd rest day.

This one of the Rosset couloirs has eluded us for a long time – largely due to the need for really good conditions to ensure a high safety margin. It’s steep, narrow and darned dangerous when loaded with snow, or when icy – which seems to be either one or the other most of the time ... An avalanche, or a fall here would be detrimental to continued well-being ... This is our target ... snowHead

Three of us are going to attempt it today, snowHead Sara, friend David and myself, as the conditions are promising to be really excellent & the couloir has not been tracked ... yet ..!
Breche de Rossets .... Very Happy

My heart is thumping .. ! ... almost as fast as in the dying minutes of Ireland’s brilliant, humungous & supercalafraglisticxpaladocious Grand Slam victory at Cardiff ... This is steep ....! Permission for buttocks to wobble ever so slightly ... Toofy Grin

This is the one Sara reckoned wasn’t steep when we did our recce from below. David & I now remind her of this. She doesn’t require a formal invitation, but now voluntarily withdraws her earlier statement, unreservedly .... Laughing

I get to go first .... I double check that there’s nobody in the couloir & give a good old ‘Riverdance Performance’ type jump upon the top to dislodge any nasty bits Toofy Grin

There are many disadvantages in going first ... & at least TWO are flashing in bright lights ... Laughing

A) Endgame

B) As ‘A’ above

However, in my armoury I have my trusty Green skis, which come fitted with ‘Intelligence’ & ‘Liquid Metal’, as standard Toofy Grin AND the one advantage which becomes apparent after the second turn, is that I have absolutely YUMMY powder .... snowHead and it’s all for meee ... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I make a bit of a ‘dogs dinner’ of the top section as I dislodge a hell of LOT of snow ... Toofy Grin desole ... ! Embarassed (High expectations of an audition for a starring role in Riverdance must surely be fading) ... Toofy Grin but it slides down to provide even more beautiful powder for almost the entire length of the couloir,

Observe facial expressions .... mine thankfully hidden behind the lens .. Toofy Grin

.. but I consider my precarious position stopping to take photos and vow to continue diligently about my normal business.

Sara & David wait until I reach the mid-point & pronounce it fairly safe.

Then they descend with great style & poise ... snowHead

This is our full route from the roped-off section on Roche de Mio. My heart is still thumping and I I’m sure I forgot to breathe on the way down, but we are elated & I think that tonight I will have another ‘St. Emilion Moment’ .... Very Happy snowHead

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
tonight I will have another ‘St. Emilion Moment’ ....
Uh oh! Text alert Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My word BernardC - is that as narrow as it looks? Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Crimeny Shocked
I need a drink after just looking at that Shocked

EDIT: tidying up shoddy coding

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 28-03-09 18:51; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BernardC, well done! And glad you survived.
The picture at the top looked insane.
The picture at the bottom looked lovely.
I'll pick up some more St Emilion on the way up on Thursday
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy