Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss 'VALAIS' Wines

Poster: A snowHead
Having been to the Valais region of Switzerland a few times,I have developed a penchant for the local Red tipple,namely 'Dole'.
A mixture of grape varieties 90% Pinot Noir and 10% Gamay IIRC?
I am not usually a huge fan of reds unless they are very good but these 'Dole' reds are very nice and at a reasonable price,locally anyway.
Somebody told me that Swiss wines are drunk locally and very rarely exported and consequently are very difficult to source outside of Switzerland?
Has anyone managed to source these wines in the UK?
Any pointers greatfully received Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You like Dole? Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hedley, I've looked for Swiss wines here (not Dole, oddly) and the only place I've found them is the Swiss centre, which had a small selection at high prices and not the wines I wanted.
If you like Dole, try Beaujolais.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 27-03-09 13:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maybe it was the the 2+ metre snowbase, the wall to wall hot sunshine, the far reaching views across snow capped peaks,the long lazy lunches,the good company or the fact that I was on holiday and not at work wink ,but at that particular moment yes I liked Dole.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 27-03-09 13:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hedley, A quick google found this : http://www.nickdobsonwines.co.uk/acatalog/Swiss_Wines.html
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Motorway wine.... Laughing

but agree Dole can be drinkable
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
geepee, many thanks Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hedley, The high cost of living and high cost of production and the generally smaller scale of the Swiss wine industry mean you do have to spend a bit more to buy swiss. Most of the production is drunk locally. Probably the biggest range available is through http://www.nickdobsonwines.co.uk/index.html (no commercial involvement etc).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've enjoyed the Dole I've had in Switzerland as well (oh no, the shame). I drink a fair bit of Beaujolais and Gamay as well, so clearly there's no hope for me!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
alan empty, ditto, even though I'm not that keen on Beaujolais or Gamay. And I've even enjoyed the odd bottle of Fendant. I'm pretty sure it's the local ambience that does it!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I can certainly see that you all know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret.
John Cleese (Basil Fawlty)
Fawlty Towers

wink Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Retsina must be the ultimate 'local ambience' wine. In Greece, in the sun, a cold bott goes down a treat. Back in the UK, you'd think twice before using it to unblock the drains.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
richmond, nah, can't drink that stuff even in Greece!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There's plenty of decent swiss wine. As a country, they drink more wine than they produce, so are a net importer, so you rarely see their stuff outside Switzerland. It doesn't necessarily follow that there is anything wrong with it becoz of that.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
the ice perv, absolutely not. They make some brilliant wines, but they hang onto them. The best are made in small quantities which makes export unlikely.
ski holidays
I usually drink Dole and Gamay when in Switzerland and have always found them very enjoyable Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy