Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trip Report ... Couloir du Gros Mollard (Trois Valees)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Scribblings from The Tarentaise .. Couloir du Gros Mollard (Trois Valees) February 4th 2009

With superior conditions predicted in the West – Val Thorens/Les Menuires/St-Martin de Belleville, for today, it seemed churlish not to take advantage of a whole hidden valley of untracked powder .... Very Happy .. but also to reach the ‘Couloir du Gros Mollard’, which has remained elusive for years due to unsuitable weather and snow conditions. Today could change all that .... Madeye-Smiley

Friend David and I set off from Courchevel 1850, together with guide Alex Dunand.

With time constraints we do not hang about, but experience superb snow en-route to the Telecabine de la Masse 1. We quickly drop down and take the Telesiege du Lac Noir. We then descend the Face Ouest de la Gratte to bring the Pointe de Geffriand into view. This is where we are headed ... Very Happy

Soaking up some of the isolated majesty of our surroundings, we fix skins and begin the ascent to Pointe de Geffriand.

... and reach the sommet to a stunning panorama .... Smile

Moving further along the ridge, we reach our destination .... & are presented with a fairly steep pitch of delectable powder, untracked .... which leads to the couloir proper at top right of photo ... Very Happy snowHead

Because of my fine stature, Toofy Grin I am deputised to ‘jump’ on the snow to test its stability and with a cunning plan, (Learnt from the La Grave guides), I have to ski the entire pitch before pronouncing it relatively safe .... Toofy Grin Nevertheless, we ski one at a time to reach ... The Couloir du Gros Mollard ... Very Happy snowHead

It is untracked and hasn’t been skied this season ..... It’s in BEAUTIFUL condition ... Happy Days .... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Instructions on navigating the choke-point chimney .... rolling eyes

The powder in the couloir and out is AWESOME .... Very Happy

.... Gimme a smile .... Laughing

We track out through Le Valee des Encombres, which although is fairly long at nearly 11km, it is absolutely beautiful and a real pleasure – I enjoy every step of the way .... There are however two surprises left .... Some sections of the track are skiable and some are fast skiable ... Having been lulled into a ‘sleepy-short-turning-narrow-track-rhythm’, we get a hell of a fright rounding a corner at some speed into avalanche debris ... Shocked What followed was a ‘fast-forward’ version of The Three Stooges on Skis and although we all remain upright & still maintaining course, our dignity does not .... Toofy Grin We eventually arrive at Chatelard South West of Brides Les Bains, near Le Villard.

The second surprise is a beautiful Ferme Auberge called Chantacoucou (www.ferme-auberge-chantacoucou.com) where we are taking luncheon. It really is in the middle of nowhere and is basically a mixed, organic farm whose owners have opened a superb dining room and serve all their own produce. It’s ‘Plat de Jour’ only & really must be booked in advance by telephone. I mention it here in detail because it's well worth a visit.

We were peckish to say the least & I had to be restrained from attempting to gnaw one of the cured hams hanging from a nearby beam ... Toofy Grin
To commence we had a salad each that would feed a Lardy bus full of Lardys Laughing – and of course being so hungry, pigged out on the bread & cold meats.
Thence followed the very best Diots de Portmonier that I have ever had the privilege to eat. These Diots de Portmonier are the Creme-de-la-creme – Diots for the Gentry .... Toofy Grin Made entirely from their own farm produce. If you’re a fan of real Diots de Portmonier, then this is ‘Graceland’ ... Laughing I assured Madame that hers were the finest in all France and possibly further afield .... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin .... which I’m sure let me to have the biggest plate of fruit crumble, homemade ice cream AND Creme Anglais. Oh and there was a cheese platter afore desert ...What a day .... Laughing

The downside to all this of course is that we are unable to move and have to get home .... Toofy Grin We are assisted into Monsieurs mini-bus and chauffeured in style to L’Olympe where we ascend to Meribel. Time constraints soon work off some of the Lunch Fest and we reach Courchevel before shut-down time, but we don’t have any supper OR breakfast .... rolling eyes

Plus on an entirely different subject .... some reflections on the importance of insurance .... (Circa 1905)

“….Another expedition with Harry Thompson was to Lenk from Adelboden to see the Norwegians jumping. On our way back we stopped at the top of the Hahnenmoos to eat our lunch. We there met Commander Powell and Captain Fitzgerald who were out on their first long ski expedition. They started back just as we arrived and after a leisurely lunch we also started off down this lovely run. There were some miles of perfect snow and when we got to the bottom we found Powell and Fitzgerald poking about in the snow. I asked Fitzgerald what was the matter and he said, “We are looking for Powells teeth.” We helped for a few minutes in the search without result and then Powell complained of a terrible pain in one of his legs. We took off his boot and puttee and found that he had broken his leg. We decided to send Fitzgerald off to the nearest occupied chalet, which was about five miles down the hill and Harry Thompson and I would bring Powell along as best we could. We constructed a sort of sledge of branches and tried to tow Powell along on this, but it was not a success as he kept rolling off one side or the other. We tried carrying him in turns while the other carried three pairs of skis. But this was very slow work and things were getting serious as it was getting quite dark and was very cold. We were able to wrap our coats around Powell, as the exertion kept our circulation going. At a length, to our joy just as it was nearly dark, we heard a hello in the distance and some Swiss arrived with a hay sleigh. We made our way down to Adelboden in the dark. Incidentally, Powell’s teeth which were worth a great deal were never found and he had to get a new set sent out from home. It was altogether an expensive expedition for him.”

Happy Days ..... Very Happy snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Happy days indeed... glad you get the camera out from time to time.. Thanks..Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmmm, think I'd of let a man of fine stature ski it first too. If that goes you've got zero chance of not going with it.

Must of been fantastic adventure though . . .
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
BernardC, Nice trip report, good photos. When you say you arrived at Le Villard, I guess you mean the one to the south-west of St Jean-de-Belleville, rather than the one south-west of Brides? ... just so I know, in case I ever try to re-trace your route wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
*shakes in a fit of jealousy*
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BernardC, fabulous report. Wish I could ski well enough to go to such places. Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BernardC wrote:
It is untracked and hasn’t been skied this season
I'm not bloody surprised.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

It is untracked and hasn’t been skied this season ....

Lets not be too hasty now... wink

Great TR, Chantacoucou is one of the unsung gems of 3V dining...!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I like how BernardC gets the skiing out of the way quickly in his TRs and then gets onto the serious business of describing his lunch wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno, the only day I did a bit of a tour with Bernard we ended up at a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere for a fabulous rustic lunch. When the snow ran out a Land Rover magically appeared to take us to said establishment, then a 20 minute taxi ride to get us to the nearest lift after we'd stuffed ourselves past the point of being able to ski. So maybe it's eating he's passionate about, and the skiing is just the most convenient way to get to his favourite restaurants? Wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, i should have added that I find it hard to criticise his priorities wink

a BIG line followed by a late lunch in the sunshine = a pretty ideal day in my book Cool
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno wrote:
rob@rar, i should have added that I find it hard to criticise his priorities wink

a BIG line followed by a late lunch in the sunshine = a pretty ideal day in my book Cool
Quite. Except that I have to find my skiing in more plebeian areas. Actually, it was amazing in Les Arcs last week - the pistes were utterly and completely deserted between 12 and 2, so even if no beautiful lines, at least no crowds.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno wrote:

Yes, Bernard didn't hear any moaning from me about stopping for a big lunch Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy