Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Early Birds

Poster: A snowHead
I have always done DIY booked well in advance. I quite fancy getting a last minute deal but I'm not convinced they exist flying from Scotland. I've had a half hearted look a couple of years and the headline price is usually quite good but by the time you get through to the booking page its quite often doubled unless you can leave from London or want to sleep 4 to a 1 bed flat. Has anyone had good last minute deals from Scotland?

On a related note I've just come back from what I fear may be my last skiing weekend of the season. I've done 25 days this year for under £2000 (including spending money) which included a weeks instruction with Inspired to Ski. Can anyone beat this for value for money???
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lynseyf, it would appear not.... that's impressive, unless you drove to glenshee every other weekend... wink

What are your cash-saving tips?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've just arranged my DIY Christmas trip Very Happy , using Easyjet from Liverpool to Innsbruck flights which have just been released. Flight out is on Sunday 20th Dec, flight back Thursday 31st Dec. I've never visited Ischgl before, so was glad to be able to arrange (using tiscover.com) single room accomodation there for the first 6 nights, and then for the remaining 5 nights I'll be staying at Zell am Ziller (I know and like the Zillertal very much).
Transfer betwen them should be pretty strightforward - there's a Postbus service from Ischgl to Landeck from where I can catch a train to Zell. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like I'm booking this weekend. All my ski buddies have booked already. It seems crazy to me but it's a very small hotel and I don't want to miss out. La Thuile March 2010 here we come!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
red 27, 12 days in Scotland, 7 in Tignes and 6 in Slovenia so other than Tignes prettty "value" resorts. I have always enjoyed every day I skied though, can't imagine having a bad day on any slope

Do a phd then you don't have any spare money to spend anyway Sad
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Alastair Pink, sounds cracking trip! I'm there myself Jan 9th Very Happy

lynseyf, yes I see, very clever, start off with no money and the thrift comes naturally! snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've got my Christmas and New year holiday requests in at work, but no definite answer yet.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Booked our return to St Anton next Feb/Mar. Did it before we left. Sort of a standing booking. Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Trying to book our Christmas/New Years trip presently. Laax central booking system doesn't seem to be accepting anything for next year yet, though. Annoying.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ami in berlin, it will probably be September before they do I should imagine.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mountainaddict wrote:
After going it entirely DIY for about 8 years, I've just picked up the Inghams & Crystal early bird brochures. Talk about a Shocked. Cheapest B&B in Austria in January £400....a Zermatt 4 star hotel that we paid £450 for (about 7 years ago admittedly!!) now £850 in January.........half term prices that require a second mortgage.......£1200 for a week in North America etc etc.

Does anyone actually book from a brochure these days? And if so, why??

I'm intrigued - have you done an exact like for like with the £ equalling the € on parity - same dates, same airports, same transfers, taxes etc?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mountainaddict wrote:
After going it entirely DIY for about 8 years, I've just picked up the Inghams & Crystal early bird brochures. Talk about a Shocked. Cheapest B&B in Austria in January £400....a Zermatt 4 star hotel that we paid £450 for (about 7 years ago admittedly!!) now £850 in January.........half term prices that require a second mortgage.......£1200 for a week in North America etc etc.

Does anyone actually book from a brochure these days? And if so, why??

The brochure is to get an idea of what is available, not to actually book from.

You then look online relatively close to departure time, and get it for a lot less.

I have used TOs in each of the last 4 years, and the closest I have paid to brochure price was the first of those, at £150 off - that was also the only time I have paid over £400 for flights, transfers, half board hotel, and ski carriage.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Helen Beaumont wrote:
ami in berlin, it will probably be September before they do I should imagine.

Hmm. Based on past experience, everything for Christmas/New Years is normally booked up well before September. We've booked the past two years around this time (La Clusaz and Bad Gastein). The year before in late August we tried to book Mittenwald or Garmisch and literally every apartment was already gone. We ended up in another isolated village nearby. Maybe things are different in Switzerland, but the Germans tend to book their holidays a year in advance (often in Austira) while on their current holiday.

Just emailed their central booking and was told that they are compiling their availabity now. No word on when they will release it, though.

Frustrating, because I'm trying to price different resorts and compare. I'd rather not book flights not knowing what the accomidation will cost. On the other hand, the flights will only get more expensive. So do I hold out on Laax or do I book somewhere in Austria now?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alex_heney, I've pretty much always paid brochure price. I think discounts are only if you book last minute and that's never really an option for me...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
red 27, Stayed, as usual, in the hotel Neder in Iscghl this year. As we paid the owner on our departure we booked for 5th March next year. Its something we've always done and I like the certainty of when and where we are going, something to look forward to during the long summer nights. wink
Axsman, Glad you had a great season in Austria. What a country. Fortunately, mine's not over. Off to Mayrhofen on Saturday.
roga, Completely agree. Considerable saving on hire costs and something to look at and admire when you're fed up with looking at her indoors. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Alastair Pink, I love the Zillertal and Ischgl even more. Both places on the same holiday, it couldn't get any better.
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
alex_heney, I've pretty much always paid brochure price. I think discounts are only if you book last minute and that's never really an option for me...

Why not?

Although I usually book 6-8 weeks away, which is why I said relatively early.

But unless you are tied to going to a specific place, or to the very popular times, there is no reason I can think of why booking late would not be an option. Fixed dates don't matter - there is always something reasonable available a few weeks ahead.
ski holidays
'Cos now I have ski buddies it means I have to book a specific hotel for a specific week in order to have the pleasure of their company. I booked this March's trip back in October and even then I had missed the two single rooms and had to pay extra for a double for sole use. They have already all booked for next March's trip so I will too. No discounts on brochure price available at the moment. It's just too risky to wait...
latest report
queen bodecia wrote:
'Cos now I have ski buddies it means I have to book a specific hotel for a specific week in order to have the pleasure of their company. I booked this March's trip back in October and even then I had missed the two single rooms and had to pay extra for a double for sole use. They have already all booked for next March's trip so I will too. No discounts on brochure price available at the moment. It's just too risky to wait...

OK. You fall into the "tied to a specific place" category in that case. And yes, that does make it difficult to find bargains Sad
latest report
Ouchie! £700 for a week in La Thuile in March in a 2 star hotel!!! They saw me coming. Yikes!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy