Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shane McConkey, 1969-2009

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
McConkey, 39, of Olympic Valley, CA, is survived with his wife, Sherry, and their three-and-a-half year-old daughter, Ayla.

http://espn.go.com/action/freeskiing/blog?post=4018726

I almost don't know what to say about this, I am gutted like I never thought I could be about someone I didn't even know.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
terrible news, very sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I guess gravity doesn't know your an expert. Sad Sad Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Aww, sh*t. Seemed like a lovely guy. I've always been in awe at some of the stuff he did.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Condolences to family and friends.

RIP Shane.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I guess that is the downside of extreme. Thanks for the entertainment Shane RIP
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
3 1/2 year old daughter and wife and the rest of his family. God that's sad Sad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Must admit I've never really understood the "jump off a mountain, release skis and parachute to earth" thing. This accident makes it clear that McConkey had made what is clearly a difficult and dangerous stunt look easy.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
R.I.P.... still cant quite believe it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bummer. Now thats really put a downer on my day. A genuinely nice guy...and inspirational skier.. Sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Damn. Heart with his family.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Crying or Very sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Very sad news.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lost for words. A hero for many.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

The ski world will never be the same.

One of the pioneers of freeski, the man to follow.....sad day

RIP
ski holidays
Sad news indeed Sad
snow report
This is the image that we keep in our minds:

http://youtube.com/v/KUfF-kyKdGU
snow conditions
Very sad. Especially for his young family.
ski holidays
A great loss Sad

RIP Shane
latest report
Just read the article. Not being into the extreme stuff, I'd only vaguely heard the name before, but it sounds like he was a great guy.

A wife and three and a half year old daughter - wow, what can you say. Really sad news and all sympathies go to his young family. RIP.
snow report
Never normally post in these RIP threads but that guy was one of the few who could actually get a personality across in a ski movie. I think it's at the start of Push there's a monologue about how far things are getting pushed and how lot's of people are getting injured. This is a logical end point to that continual extension of what people are prepared to try.

A sad conclusion.
ski holidays
metalhead posted McConkeys segment ^^^
snow conditions
This is terrible news. He was incredible.
latest report
Sad Sad Sad
snow report
Legend and inspiration it always used to make me chuckle seeing him on film you just knew he was always having fun. Condolences to family and friends.
snow conditions
A sad day for skiing. This is one of the guys that helped pioneer the fat skis and his tricks and style where amazing. RIP
snow conditions
McConkey, McConkey, there's no one quite like McConkey. Isn't that in one of his film segments, or is that just me ?

666, nor do I.... I'm 39 this year, I have a 3 yr 4 month old.... so this seemed unusually poignant to me. How sad. Crying or Very sad
snow report
The Matchstick Productions' official statement makes for painful reading:
http://www.mspfilms.com/news/1354

Happier days:
http://www.mspfilms.com/athletes/mcconkey

Had a little cry over this. I didn't know the guy but it's sad day for the world when we lose someone with so much talent and energy.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What!!!! no sick jokes? Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
What!!!! no sick jokes? Evil or Very Mad

Bumping an old thread to make a point (which doesn't even need to be made) is equally distasteful IMO.

There was really no need.
latest report
arv, "equally" is fine by me. It seems perfectly acceptable to be, obviously in my opinion, exponentially more distasteful elsewhere in the forum. Talk about double standards.

Perhaps you would be proud to point the fans and members of Workinton Town RLFC in the direction of the other thread http://www.townrlfc.com/index.php and perhaps supply your name and address.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
arv, "equally" is fine by me. It seems perfectly acceptable to be, obviously in my opinion, exponentially more distasteful elsewhere in the forum. Talk about double standards.

Perhaps you would be proud to point the fans and members of Workinton Town RLFC in the direction of the other thread http://www.townrlfc.com/index.php and perhaps supply your name and address.

Double standards on whose part? I disagree with the comments on the other thread but others were already doing my disagreeing. Dragging this thread back was needless.

Your second comment is a gross overreaction rolling eyes
latest report
You don't need to write any jokes with a name as stupid as 'McConkey'.
latest report
arv, double standards on the part of the forum. I am sorry if you found this offensive and my anger should not have been directed at you. Time and celebrity status often allow for balck humour to shine through but the contents of the other thread are just too fresh and too tragic. Had a simialr proportion of the local population been murdered in a major conurbation then we would have been talking many thousands of deaths and I think we have to draw the taste line somewhere. We have plenty of skiers that visit these pages from the Cumbria area and there is a good chance that with so many dead, maimed, or injured that someone will no one of them.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, not offended but I felt it was unnecessary to bump an old thread to prove your (valid) point.
latest report
arv, point taken

OH MY GOD He's Dead?

Thanks for the BUMP I did not know. Crying or Very sad
latest report
Dwarf Vader wrote:
Thanks for the BUMP

That's what he said to God afterwards.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, ok - I absolutely see your point. I don't think anyone will be offended if you post a joke.

I suspect Shane would not have minded...

[from Scott Gaffney, a ski filmmaker and friend in Squaw].

Quote:
Gaffney, who was soon working for MSP, cited McConkey's 1995 appearance in The Tribe as the turning point. "He did a double back off a cliff, a huge spread eagle off a cliff naked, and he just kind of said, I'm Shane McConkey, and I'm here to entertain you guys." It was his performance in that new breed of ski films—he'd go on to star in two dozen—that put him on the map, captivating audiences with his skiing feats and an often sophomoric sense of humor that tended toward pratfalls, nudity, farts, and practical jokes. All of those came together in the 1997 creation of his on-screen alter ego, Saucer Boy, a whiskey-drinking, saucer-sledding, neon-clad takedown of the self-serious ski industry.

and here is a Shane death cartoon
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, pretty petty and pathetic, but whatever. Definitely not offensive here either, it's just amusingly worse form than the black humour and satire that's irked you so much. It's not hard to work out why Shane's death got treated with respect - or anyone else linked to the community and sport that bonds this forum.

"Go take the piss out of the people affected" is missing the point by galatic proportions. I'm sure no-one thinks the situation itself in Cumbria is funny, but dealing with a national tragedy without personal bonds is obviously going to evoke a different kind of reaction to one that's easily emphathised with.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy