Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tell me about the Grindelwald please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Next week I will be in Grindelwald. Can you give me any recommendations or tips? I will be on my own. Recommendations for somewhere to stay hostel B&B or hotel, ski hire, people's favourite ski area, decent places to eat, is there a good ski bus system as I will be using public transport.

Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bargainbill, post this question in the 'Jungfrau Region thread' and you might get a reply wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bargainbill, can't say a lot - as my experience of the area has been based at Wengen. However, last week the restaurant at Brandegg was a favourite for lunch - and don't forget you have 2 options to get up the hill. Whether by the train to Kleine Scheidegg, or the bubble to Manlechan (I'll take a hit on the spelling on both of those). If you go up the bubble and have fat skies, you'll have to take them in with you into the gondola. Keep a train timetable in your pocket. The trains are a key part of the lift system if used properly, but they are infrequent, so you have to take into account the times when planning your skiing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Avoid the uphill trains.

They suck.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whitegold, I beg to differ:
Avoid the downhill trains. snowHead

Used well, the trains are an excellent feature of the area. They are probably about the most comfortable ski lifts I've experienced, so great for a rest after a good run.
However, you can't really treat them like chairlifts and just roll up on a whim. So as achilles says, make yourself aware of the time-tables or U may waste a lot of time waiting.
For example, trains from Grund up to Kleine Scheidegg typically run twice an hour. So, turn up at Brandegg (half way up) at xx:04 hoping for a train and you'll wait 29 minutes - which is fine if you want a quick lunch first but not if you're itching to get onto your next run.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Grindelwald has one advantage, you get access to 3 main areas First, Mannlichen and Kleine Scheidegg, the disadvantage is that the three lifts are a fair distance apart but there is a bus (doesn't run very often check timetable) that links the three.

The trains and Gondolas all take a fair amount of time to get to the top of their respective hills but that's because they've a long way to go (something like 7 or 8 km) which mean you can get a nice long run down to the bottom of the slopes or once up you can use the normal lifts at the top to do shorter runs.

Grindelwald is in general busier than Wengen or Murren because you can drive there, this means at the weekends it can be very busy with locals driving into the area, having never stayed in Grindelwald I can't offer any suggestions as to where to stay but suspect that if you contact the local tourist office they may well be able to help.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Stayed in hotel Spinne. Clean comfortable rooms, decent food and service. It also has a lively bar, nightclub, and spa. Would recommend it. 5 minute walk to the train up to Kleine Scheidegg, and 10 min walk to the lift up to the First area.

Trains for KS leave twice on the hour at 0.17 and 0.47 (Off the top of my head)... not a minute earlier or later. I quite enjoyed the train ride in the morning as it gave you a chance to relax after breakfast and sort out your gear.

A day trip to Murren involves getting a couple of trains and a bus which is relatively painless due to the swiss being very strict about keeping to timetables. Or you can ski half the way via Wengen. All the areas had something different to offer so couldnt really recommend one over another.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks to all the snowheads that took the time to give me their suggestions, and useful information.
I`m looking forward to going somewhere new and sort of just turning up and going where the flow takes me Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bargainbill, Grindelwald (pr. Grindelvald) (c. 1883-1998) was the most infamous Dark Wizard of his time. He was schooled at Durmstrang Institute and later took up a friendship with Albus Dumbledore, which fell apart after the two were involved in a three-way duel with Aberforth Dumbledore that resulted in Ariana Dumbledore's death. Dumbledore defeated Grindelwald in a famous duel in 1945, and he was subsequently imprisoned in Nurmengard for decades. Grindelwald was slain there by Lord Voldemort in 1998 when Voldemort was in search of the Elder Wand.
Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kevinrhead, yes very good!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bargainbill, your username worries me... G-Wald is not exactly poundland. Beautiful, atmospheric, classy and unforgetable but tough to do on a budget
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy