Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I'm not allowed to bring my skis on the plane

Poster: A snowHead
I was told today that our tour operator (www.Directski.ie) only have 20 places allocated for ski carriage on our flight next saturday, and as they are all full, I can't bring my skis. There was no option to book ski carriage at any point during the booking, so I assumed it would be fine to just pay at the airport like I usually do.

The airline is Flybe who were charging £1 a minute, so after spending a couple of minutes without talking to anyone I decided it was a no go.

Has this happened to anyone else before? Any ideas on what to do next?

I'm frankly astounded that a ski tour operator would have such a ridiculous lack of foresight.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bad luck! But they always charge more anyway if you pay at the airport rather than with the original booking.
I've no ideas for taking your skis but you could research what skis are available in the resort and pre-book some which suit you.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For a moment I thought you were going to complain that you couldn't get them on as hand luggage!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
element, Sad Bummer. But there must have been some opportunity to book carriage as 20 people seem to have managed it?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
element, not heard that before, i would be getting on to the TO , if there was no option to book what were you supposed to do???
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
element, how about take your ski's in a double ski bag and anyboby who is on your flight with a pair of ski's ask them if you can put them in the double bag!! thats if you have a double ski bag Puzzled Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm sweating on a flight with FlyBE this weekend; I booked ski carriage months ago, but a friend travelling with us booked a couple of weeks ago and they say there is only space on the plane for 10 sets of skis. I'm just hoping that they don't overbook and I'm left with my ski equipment on the runway.

By the way though element, FlyBE have a customer service number which is 10p a minute (from the UK). You may want to give that a try, its an 0870 number available on their website.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
element,

With the demise of Excel Airways, some tour operators have had to find alternative air charter carriers. Some of these alternative carriers are using smaller aircraft and that is why some carriers have a limited capacity to carry skis.

I had the same issue early in the ski season. When I found out that the airline couldn't carry my skis, and hiring skis was going to be expensive, I agreed with the tour operator to cancel the holiday with a full refund.

Now I always check that I can get my skis on the flight before I commit to booking a holiday.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cockofthenorth, I wonder if that would fall foul of "has anyone asked you to carry anything for them?"
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, yeh maybe but I am sure that most people wouldn't be bothered a person who is stranded with there ski's on the runway I would help out. A pair of skis dont look that suspicious do they?? Confused Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
altis wrote:
For a moment I thought you were going to complain that you couldn't get them on as hand luggage!

That's the only reason I'm reading this thread, I was hoping for a good funny story.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
element, Thanks for this info. Another airline to avoid, and another TO who obviously have no real interest in proper skiers...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
element, sympathy. I have flown with my skis using flybe. However, it's worth reading their baggage rules.

Quote:
Skis
Skis may be prebooked within 24 hours of making your flight booking through the Customer Call centre and will be charged at GBP22.50 (EUR35.00, CHF52.00) per set per sector. There is a limit on the amount of skis that can be carried. This is dependant upon the operating aircraft:

* Bombardier Q400 - 10 sets of skis (Max length 1.67m / 5.6ft)
* Embraer 195 - 25 sets of skis (Max length 2.5m / 8.2ft)

In the event that our ski or golf club numbers have already been reached on your flights then you can cancel your booking with no penalty within 24 hours of making your booking.

So I could take my 178 Missions on an Embraer - but not a Bombardier.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles, How do you know which you're getting at the time of booking?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Schuss in Boots, it;s usually listed somewhere as to which aircraft will be used
ski holidays
element, Courier them. Cheaper than paying the airline and then take them back on the flight with you when you return.
snow report
kiwi1, skis sent by courier may not be insured by your holiday insurance if they go astray.
latest report
Megamum wrote:
cockofthenorth, I wonder if that would fall foul of "has anyone asked you to carry anything for them?"

I don't think that there's a prohibition on taking stuff for other people (it wouldn't work as you'd just answer 'No.', even if you were), it's just to make you think and so that the airline/check in agency appear to be doing something.
snow report
richmond, I was taken aside with my hold bag - and re-asked the question at Grenoble airport last year. My bag was then searched in front of me. Clearly had there been something untoward, I could not have blamed someone else.
latest report
Call the hotel and ask if you can send by TNT/? If you have time left, they will be there when you arrive.

Get them collected on your last day and they'll be home a couple of days after you.

Not cheap but cheaper than renting.
snow conditions
If anyone can find a courier that will ship skis internationally for less than a weeks rental I'd like to hear about it - never mind both ways! Over £70 was the last quote I received. Our Post Office will not handle anything over 1.5m in length.
snow report
Thanks for the advice everyone, courier would be a good but I've had them let me down before and there are a few too many risks involved.

Is anyone aware of a good ski hire shop in Meribel Mottaret, or one that will let me pick a pair and pre book them online?
latest report
http://www.ski-republic.com/en/resort/ski-hire-and-rental-in-meribel-mottaret
ski holidays
altis, You'd need to say where. Iternationally can mean France or New Zealand and anywhere in between and the price can very one way from £22 to £150. My courier accepts 2.3m so return parcel (skis/bindings, france and back) is approx £55.00 including surcharge and vat.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 26-03-09 17:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
kiwi1, who is that?
I could almost be tempted to courier skis out in future to save carrying them (esp if I am taking multiple pairs)
latest report
I use a company called Global Express. They've got offices in Manchester, London and Glasgow. PM me if you want their phone number. The secret is not to send them express but rather "Euro Pack Roll". All that means is between hubs they go via truck instead of aircraft keeping the costs down. I've never had a pair go missing (yet) but as Helen Beaumont, rightly said, they wouldn't be covered under your travel insurance.
snow conditions
but would they not be covered under the couriers insurance?
ski holidays
bar shaker wrote:
Call the hotel and ask if you can send by TNT/? If you have time left, they will be there when you arrive.

Get them collected on your last day and they'll be home a couple of days after you.

Not cheap but cheaper than renting.

for a few years i've sent clothing and equipment to hotels via fed ex etc.
works a treat. clear with the hotel and away you go.
btw dont send anything in a case, has to be a box.. saves a lot of messing around
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
element, We flew at New year with Direct Ski and Flybe. I booked ski carriage weeks before hand but was told a couple of days before travel that I couldn't take them. Not much we could do about it so we left them at home. At the airport we were very jealous of the 10 people who had been allowed to take them on board, until we got to Salzburg and the skis didn't. They turned up three days later. We complained to Direct Ski to try and at least get our rental money back. They apologised and said that due to the economic turn down they had had to use a smaller plane but in the future they would think about skiers and their needs when making these decisions. Obviously they are not thinking about it yet ! We got a £100 voucher to use against our next holiday which we obviously won't book with them !
What ever you do now, make sure you complain when you get back and tell them that this problem with Direct Ski is now well know on Snowheads Evil or Very Mad
snow report
I saw the Flybe flight from Belfast landing at Salzburg yesterday while waiting for my homeward flight.

It was one of their small prop-driven planes, so I'm not surprised it doesn't have room for many skis. there was another Flybe flight landed within a few minutes of that one, and while that was a jet, it was much smaller than the ones used by most of the larger airlines.
ski holidays
i travelled to couchevel in feb half term with flybe and they didnt charge me for taking me skis, you might aswell take them just in case Smile
snow report
Just back from VT - flying Flybe from Birmingham to Chambery
Took 2 pairs of skis - 184 K2's & 176 Rossignols
No problems either end - they even accepted my double ski bag as one set of skis
Guess it depends on how full the flight is.
More to the point its a myth that the plane (small Q400) can't take skis over 5ft 6in Puzzled
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy