Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flying with an avalance probe

Poster: A snowHead
Hello All

I can anticipate what the answer to my (slightly odd!) question will be...but I will ask it anyway...

Does anyone have experience of trying to fly with an avalance probe in their hand-luggage as opposed to hold luggage? All my 'hardware' is going out in the car with friends this week but I am following them out later & am taking hand-luggage only. Unfortunately I have won't get my probe back in time.

I have rung EasyJet who have said I can't carry it - and I suspect that is the correct answer - but the member of staff I spoke to clearly had absolutely no idea what it was I meant even when I explained it!

Has anyone tried this & if so how did you fare?

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I have rung EasyJet who have said I can't carry it - and I suspect that is the correct answer

think you answered that one for yourself Little Angel
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
flew BA with some other snowheads recently, had probe and shovel handle in hand luggage, shovel head went in hold.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think I probably have (!) - but as I say, I didn't have much faith in the member of staff since despite doing my level best to describe what a probe is etc, all she would say was that anything made of metal is not allowed in through airport security.

Presumably that means your camera, belt, jewellery are all now contraband according to EasyJet. I had better leave my leg and thumb at home as well since there is metal in both of those!

ps. apologies for spelling avalanche especially badly.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I always bung mine in the hold luggage. If an old lady's knitting needles are a threat, it is quite likely airport security staff will see a probe as a Weapon of Mass Destruction.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bootsy, I've never tried to carry a probe as hand luggage, but did check-in an ice axe at Dublin airport a few months ago, and rather surprised the young lady at the check-in desk.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you were to sit very still and lean the seat back, would it be possible to conceal it in one's person. Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mine is carbon and I always carry it as hand-luggage... and the metal shovel handle and extention tube..
I put the metal blade in the hold tho...

I have been with BA and EJ this season with no problems
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bootsy, if you're not far from the airport your best option might be to pop in and ask someone at the security desk, in the end they're the people who will determine weather or not to let you take the probe onto the aircraft, so long as it fits into the required dimensions for easyjet they really don't care
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski, my shovel handle has a 1 ft long snow saw inside it... love to see that get through Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
slip it into someone else's hand luggage in the check-in queue??

put it together and pretend to be blind??
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
you could say that your missing a piece of your tent and had to fly back to get it as your wife and kids are in a half pitched tent in the alps!! Toofy Grin Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
One of my friends lives in Amsterdam and travelled this season from Schipol to Geneva with shovel and probe in hang luggage and on the return journey and no one picked her up on it - unbelievable, quite worrying actually.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gsyfreerider, knowing that makes it even more annoying that Gatwick security made me empty all the port out of my hip flask... well it was 4oz which is just slightly over 100ml so obviously very dangerous port...
wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
WayneC wrote:
Gsyfreerider, knowing that makes it even more annoying that Gatwick security made me empty all the port out of my hip flask... well it was 4oz which is just slightly over 100ml so obviously very dangerous port...
wink
Couldn't you have just taken a few sips until only the allowed amount remained in the flask? Toofy Grin
snow report
No. If the container is over 100ml then it has to be empty. Quite how they deal with drips I don't know.
ski holidays
Thank you all for the advice / thoughts - much appreciated.

I had a chat with a guy at BAA yesterday & he said it would come down to the discretion of the security supervisor on the day, so it was up to me if I wanted to chance it. He did say that if it "could be used as a weapon" then it wouldn't be allowed. When I described it for him he said "they [security] might think you could use it as a lance!" Strikes me that having a jousting match down the aisle of a 737 could make up for the lack of inflight entertainment on EasyJet...
snow report
or as a blow pipe? Or as an extra long cigarette holder - you could have crafty fag and blame the people 8 rows back
latest report
You want to try it with an ABS bag - now that's good fun!
snow report
Top tip.
Wear a pair of very dark sun glasses, wave your probe side to side taping things as you go and inform people you are blind.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy