Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to the Alps for the First Time, Any Advice Welcome

Poster: A snowHead
So... we have flown, done the snow train (daytime, overnight, sleeper, 1st class, cattle class etc.) this time we are driving from Calais, with an 18 month and a 6 year old.

Will be going via the tunnel on Boxing Day, should we go ultra early getting the first available train out at 1am or wait a couple of hours? Anyone travelled at this time that can tell me what the traffic will be like? We've driven to France a few times before but over to the South-West.

Also is driving round those windy mountain roads as scary as I think it is? I tend to look out of the other window when someone else is driving...

Which make of snowchains are best? Which ones to avoid?

Blah blah blah... Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Beks1969, Welcome to snowHeads. There are loads of threads covering driving and even more on which snowchains are best, use the Forum Search facility and you will be spolit for answers!
Anyway, heres a little advice to be going on with......

ONE Golden Rule when doing the drive.

If you need to fill the car up everyone goes to the loo,
if you need to stop everyone goes to the loo and fill the car up.

Do not stop unless the Golden Rule above applies!

Best for overnight stops in France arrive late, leave early, so clean, en suite and near motorway and cheap is what counts. http://www.hotel-bb.com/
Chains essential practice putting them on etc. Unless you go more than 1 week/season winter tyres outrageously expensive, but if you are going to change your tyres quite often worth looking at.

Hi Vis vest and triangle are legally required now, vest must be within reach of driver. (I got vests in poundshop!)

Common sense checks on car before you go. ALWAYS make sure your washer bottle is full and with stronger than usual mixture.

Worth investing in DVD player for back seat passengers

Cushions from home always used by my lot to get cosy!

Have driven overnight once never again! The €40 for some hours in a hotel is worth every penny in comparison!

The route, see this thread
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1090692&highlight=route#1090692

Moneysavers

Take a packed lunch picnic. Don’t buy motorway food!
Don’t fill up on the motorway unless mid journey there are supermarkets near the motorway!
Channel Tunnel frequent traveller tickets. Cost is for 5 basic return journeys, my Bruv in Law saves money with only 3 trips a year because peak dates are so expensive!
Some snowHeads swear by using Tesco vouchers which can make the crossing free!
Sometimes ferry is cheaper but the time spent on it you could be closer to the snow!

Right now petrol is cheaper in the UK because of the exchange rate. (This changes quite regularly) So fill right up at Tesco's near Ashford, just off junction 10 of the M20

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 25-03-09 12:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Beks1969, hi. You could get the 1am train then send up a few zzz in a cheapo chain hotel, kick off pretty early in the am (assuming you aim to reach your resort on Boxing Day). Where do you start from here? Where are you heading? I prefer to take two days over a journey like that, but the train may not run on Xmas day.

Driving on mountain roads is easy enough, provided that you have adequate tyres/chains for the conditions. The trick is to drive the car where the road goes, not over the edge. Your snow chain question will no doubt attract much advice, some good, some bad, but you won't know which is which. Make sure you get the right size for your tyres/wheels and car (some can't take regular chains), practise putting them on before you go, take a decent torch and some stout gloves. Consider 'quick fit' chains like Spikes Spiders; a doddle to fit at the roadside, but pricey (you can hire) and apparently not as good as regular chains when the going gets properly tough.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Beks1969, with regard to timings, we usually get the 08:00 train and are in resort for tea time... that's driving quite sedately and having to stop every couple of hours to walk a dog............
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

The €40 for some hours in a hotel is worth every penny in comparison!

For 4 people you won't even get a Formule 1 for 40 euros. However, the cheap hotels, including Formule 1 unless you're precious about having your very own shower and loo, are adequate for a quick overnight stop. Presumably you'll both drive, in which case an overnighter is not a big problem if the weather is OK - we've done both. I have sometimes stopped for the night then slept badly, lying awake at 2 am wishing I was out on the road making headway to the south. I don't think Eurotunnel runs on Christmas Day. Boxing Day is going to be a BIG day for driving into the French resorts - probably the busiest week of the year and the afternoon will probably be busiest going up the hill (morning might be busier coming down). Depending on the nature of your accommodation you might do better to take it easy, have plenty of stops, and aim to arrive just in time for bed. If the weather is bad (bad enough for chains to be needed) the last few miles to resort could take some hours - have plenty of drinks, snacks, treats, DVD's never seen before.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Beks1969, Baby Advice

It is easily possible to change most nappies whilst the car is doing 130kph !
It is also easy to bottle feed a baby at 130kph !!
Do not feed a baby with a bottle on the way down the mountain, the change in air pressure results in projectile milk vomiting! (not us, some friends in a brand new Audi A8, how we laughed!)
Nappies were cheaper in France not sure now with ex rate etc.

Major piece of advice! Babys NEED sunglasses when outside in the snow! They do little strap on ones for them.

Just realised your 18 month old will be over 2 by Christmas so maybe none of the above applicable Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 25-03-09 13:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just over €50 for a Hotel B&B family room for 4 (it varies a little from hotel to hotel).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Quote:

The €40 for some hours in a hotel is worth every penny in comparison!

For 4 people you won't even get a Formule 1 for 40 euros. .

Confused You need to shop around and negociate a little more Toofy Grin
Even less than €40 http://www.hotel-bb.com/offresspeciales.phtml
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing, You kept that quiet wink My next bookings unfortunately are in April for Easter, nothing available. Accor often have deals available too.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Colin B, Those family rooms for four get snapped up very quickly and some of their hotels have more than others, the one we used at half term seemed to have quite a few, but it was a 20 min drive of the motorway Toofy Grin
Camapnile had rooms for 4 up until 3or 4 years ago but only have a double bed and a fold up in each room now Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Premiere Class tend to be about the same price as F1, and are ensuite. Quite possible to fit 2 adults + 2 kids in a nominally 3-bed room.
http://www.premiereclasse.com/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boredsurfing, I've got mine booked, some time ago, but not at special offer prices.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boredsurfing, and that fold up bed is bloody small and uncomfortable. I had to let 6ft teenager share with his Dad, and sleep on campbed. We used to use Campanile's when kids were younger, and we always had a room for four. Food in their restaurants has gone downill too. We always head for a Logis hotel now, too many bad experiences of chain hotels, although I was quite impressed with the Ibis I stayed in in Grenoble when hubby was in hospital there.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boredsurfing: the baby will be 18 months old when we go!! So unless we are really lucky she'll still be in nappies. Don't worry she's also got glasses, lucky little girl has already been on a skiing holiday!!

I think we're just going to get over to Calais and drive drive drive, no staying in B&Bs. We have done a 12 drive with our older daughter so we should be ok. Just discovered that there's a company near us that rents chains, roof boxes etc. was going to borrow from someone but was worried that "one size doesn't fit all" so thanks for that advice Richmond, will check to see what we need.

But we will be driving and stopping lots for breaks.

Cant believe I'm discussing this already and its only March!! I guess I'm excited... Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
marcellus wrote:
Beks1969, with regard to timings, we usually get the 08:00 train and are in resort for tea time... that's driving quite sedately and having to stop every couple of hours to walk a dog............

This sounds like good advice
snow conditions
pam w,
Quote:

For 4 people you won't even get a Formule 1 for 40 euros

We were quite comfy in a Formula 1 with four of us. Hubby takes the top bunk, me plus 5 and 3 year olds in the bottom. When youngest was 11 months old she had the travel cot next to the bed. 29 euros for the one we stayed in - no ensuite but we were there to sleep. snowHead
snow report
Colin B wrote:
Boredsurfing, I've got mine booked, some time ago, but not at special offer prices.

Check out availability first, if there is some, cancel your existing booking and then re-book through the special offer Toofy Grin
latest report
Quote:

Common sense checks on car before you go. ALWAYS make sure your washer bottle is full and with stronger than usual mixture.

and even more importantly check the antifreeze. Halfords sell http://tinyurl.com/dzsvxs
latest report
And if you drive a diesel, make sure you fill it up with proper winter diesel before parking up overnight in resort. "Normal" diesel, as sold in the UK, and across France away from the mountains can jellify in the pipes and filters making it difficult to get going again if it is cold.
snow report
when we stay (two of us) in a Formule 1, I put the mattress off the top bunk on the floor and sleep on that, which is far easier and more comfortable, and OH has the double - I can't stand titchy little hotel double beds! In the summer I'd prefer to sleep in the back of the car in an "aire" but that's not a very practical option on a ski holiday!
snow report
RobinS wrote:
And if you drive a diesel, make sure you fill it up with proper winter diesel before parking up overnight in resort. "Normal" diesel, as sold in the UK, and across France away from the mountains can jellify in the pipes and filters making it difficult to get going again if it is cold.

Tell me about it................ rolling eyes . We've had no more problems since our first trip when we had to pick friends up from Turin,and filled up there before we came back to Serre Chevalier. Temps were very low, and we had to fork out 120€ for a new fuel filter for a 1 month old car.
ski holidays
RobinS, can't you get an additive? My Finnish isn't very good but I'm sure I saw something in shops there that looked as though it did this. Although, I've no idea whether Alpine shops would stock such a thing. You'd have hoped they might.
latest report
peura, yes you can!
latest report
I bought a little pot of additive from a fuel station in Albertville, but they assured me their diesel was OK to minus 15. We do put ours in the garage if it looks like being very cold, but so far the little pot of additive has stayed in the spares box. It probably has a limited shelf life. We generally try to arrive somewhere like Albertville with a relatively empty tank, and then we're only using local diesel (alerted by Helen Beaumont's very annoying experience some years ago; I had never realised that there could be a problem, not being any kind of petrol head. Or diesel head. )
snow conditions
Share the driving ! My wife was happy to do 2 x 2 hour stints during the 9 hour drive which really helped. Wouldn't like to do the 9 hours all myself - infact think it would be dangerous.
snow report
Having just driven back solo yesterday i would strongly suggest daytime driving over night.
I'd also STRONGLY advise an audio book (and make it a long one) that will hold your attention.
Take sanwiches and plenty of snacks.
Stop every two hours for a short walk around and a stretch.
snow conditions
marcellus, thanks. I thought it might be a useful option for some people and/or circumstances but I've never seen much talk of it on threads like these. Could even be handy in parts of the UK if we get a cold winter.
latest report
I had no idea that UK diesel was nbg in the Alps in winter; I thought that the days of diesel thickening up too much in the cold were past. You live and learn (I don't drive a diesel).

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 26-03-09 10:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did the drive from Calais to Les Arcs (9.5 hours) solo without any excessive tiredness. My partner could have driven if I became tired, but the traffic was light, we did the drive during the day and the weather was good so I didn't feel tired at all. The audiobook idea is a good one (we listened to the BBC Lord of the Rings adaption). However, on a previous journey we drove through such foul weather, mostly heavy snow, that my girlfriend wouldn't drive so by the time we arrived at Calais (13+ hour drive) I was more mentally exhausted than I'd ever been.
ski holidays
peura, interestingly enough even at the Carrefour they only sell it down to minus 15 and suggest you add the additive to take it further!!
latest report
Quote:

but so far the little pot of additive has stayed in the spares box.

Unfortunately it won't do much good there - when you have trouble it will be the diesel in the fuel pipe and filter that jellifies, putting additive in the tank at that point won't make much difference.

Using ordinary diesel have encountered issues (poor starting in one vehicle - thought the glow plugs were going, and filter clogging in another) when overnight temperatures have been below minus 10, but with winterised stuff, no issues down to minus 20 or so in Livigno in January.
snow report
We'll definitely be sharing the driving. Can't let Mr R have all the fun. Audiobook sounds like a good idea.

Interesting about the diesel... don't drive a diesel but that's interesting to know for future reference.

Probably will drive in daylight hours, would be nice to be able to see where the edge is!! I think we'll be staying with family outside Ashford the night before so we'll not have too far to go at the start of our journey.
ski holidays
marcellus wrote:
peura, interestingly enough even at the Carrefour they only sell it down to minus 15 and suggest you add the additive to take it further!!
Shocked that sort of temperatures even reached in the UK. I'd have hoped the UK stuff ought to be good down to that sort of temp and only needing "Alpine diesel" for below that.
snow report
I was told/read/heard (possibly on here) during the recent cold spell that ALL European Diesel is brewed to be OK down to -15c.
In Alpine areas an additive is added to take it down to -25c.
In the past I recall seeing signs at the Filling staions from Chambery into the mountains advertising 'Winter diesel available, haven't seen those signs for at least the last 3 years possibly more.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy