Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets facts and fiction or Myths? (Now including Ski Club 'facts')

Poster: A snowHead
For the sake of clarity and perhaps to save further argument threads Toofy Grin can anyone back up the following - all culled from recent threads.

Fact
In a high speed collision, a helmet is of no help.
Skiing is safer than ballroom dancing.
Helmets make your head overheat.
Children must wear a helmet by law in Italy parts of Austria and in ESF lessons in France.
There is a higher risk of head impact whilst skiing off piste.
Free skiing requires a full face helmet.
Helmets restrict your sight.
Helmets restict your hearing.

Fiction
Beginners are more likely to fall and therefore must wear a helmet.
There is no cure for Helmet Hair.
Modern helmets are lightweight.
Modern helmets have good ventilation systems.
1 in 3000 skiers has an accident that requires a Doctor.
Large resorts are safer than small resorts.

Ski club facts are here (page2)
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=51016&start=40#1199136

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 26-03-09 11:31; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boredsurfing wrote:
For the sake of clarity and perhaps to save further argument threads Toofy Grin can anyone back up the following - all culled from recent threads.

Fact
In a high speed collision, a helmet is of no help.

Hate to quibble with your first "fact" but is there a reference for that assertion? No help whatsoever, or not guaranteed to save your life if you hit a tree at 45mph?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AFAIAA a ski helmet offers good protection for impacts up to 12mph, over that it's going to help, but injury will be likely.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes that one gets trotted out a lot. An urban myth that developed as the test procedures used for all helmets only involve low speed, high G simulations of crashes. The anti helmet people use this to say that the helmet is only tested to Xmph so is somehow useless over that speed.

Should be in the Fiction side of the arguement.

Not sure full face is needed for free skiing but perhaps suitable for those free skiers who like jumping off things... Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret, The full face was Parlor's recent comment wink (after his knee joined his face IIRC)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 25-03-09 10:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
why is "Modern helmets are lightweight" in the fiction list? I'd have thought it was one of the few uncontested facts? (unless there is debate over how light is lightweight) Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Axsman, The light weight was deemed to be less safe in a recent thread IIRC!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boredsurfing wrote:
Axsman, The light weight was deemed to be less safe in a recent thread IIRC!

Deemed by who?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing, looks from the photos that he is definitely a jump off of things kinda guy, who would and has benefited greatly from a full face Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boredsurfing, I'm not making any assertions about the saftey of helmets, just asking why 'light weight' is in the fictional list when clearly modern helmets don't weigh much. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wearing a helmet gives you the right, shoudl you so choose, to adopt a 'holier than thou' attitude, and tut condescendingly at non-wearers, and also means that in the event of any collision with a non-helmet wearer, you were automatically not to blame......or at least that is what I have picked up from the numerous debate threads Twisted Evil
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, Deemed was a bit strong 'suggested' would have been a better word in retrospect Toofy Grin

Guvnor, thank you ....all other facts and fiction contributions most welcome please!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boredsurfing wrote:
rob@rar, Deemed was a bit strong 'suggested' would have been a better word in retrospect Toofy Grin

OK. I'd suggest that a good lightweight helmet is better than a bad lightweight helmet, and that in some circumstances you could happily do without either a good one or a bad one Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My version:

Fact
In a high speed collision, a helmet may not have much effect on the outcome.
Skiing is infinitely less boring than ballroom dancing.
Helmets like woolly hats can be hot when it's sunny.
Children must wear a helmet by law in Italy parts of Austria and in ESF lessons in France.
There is a higher risk of falling over whilst skiing off piste.
Free skiing is almost impossible to find anywhere, mostly it's damned expensive.
Helmets restrict your sight, particularly when worn back to front.
Helmets restrict your hearing which is a major benefit when surrounded by loud hoorays.
People skiing beyond their skill level are more likely to fall.
There is no cure for Helmet Hair other than alopetia.
Modern helmets are lightweight compared to heavy ones.
Modern helmets have good ventilation systems but when it's sunny you'll still sweat like a fitzwilliam.
1 in 3000 skiers has an accident that requires a Doctor. The other 2999 just need beer.
Large resorts are bigger than small resorts.

Fiction
Anyone not wearing a helmet is a brainless fool
Helmets should be worn during flights to save weight in the carry on bag
Helmet threads are boring and pointless as no-oner ever contributes anyway

Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Axsman, spot on!
ski holidays
Quote:

Helmets restrict your sight.

When wearing goggles I haven't found any difference in vision between wearing a helmet or not and I've never tried wearing one with sunglasses
ski holidays
Fiction - Seeing a poo-poo hot skier nail a burly technical line without a helmet seems rare these days. I wear a helmet therefore I am poo-poo hot. wink
latest report
Boredsurfing wrote:

Fact
Helmets make your head overheat.

disagree 100%, keeps the sun off your head during hot spring days, and a decent helmet with good ventilation is fine. I have worn mine in 15+ degrees during Easter skiing.
snow conditions
Guvnor wrote:
Wearing a helmet gives you the right, shoudl you so choose, to adopt a 'holier than thou' attitude, and tut condescendingly at non-wearers, and also means that in the event of any collision with a non-helmet wearer, you were automatically not to blame
I had no idea they offer so many benefits; money well spent, then.
ski holidays
richmond, It's a bit like SCGB membership in that respect wink
snow conditions
Fact - my helmet is more comfortable and offers more protection than a woolly hat
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:

Fact
In a high speed collision, a helmet is of no help........

For practical purposes yes.

Quote:
Unfortunately, in the event of a high speed collision, the forces involved usually far exceed the protective capabilities of even the best ski helmet.

Another helmet thread? This is getting close to trolling.
ski holidays
Axsman, Excellent list Laughing Do I sense a skiing ability/style type chart coming on? Toofy Grin
latest report
Schuss in Boots, Could be one brewing. (although horizon is really the chartmeister Madeye-Smiley ) Laughing
latest report
Some of your facts are wrong, and some of your fictions are actually facts Wink
Facts:
Good helmets don't make your head overheat. I probably ski faster and harder then huge majority of people here, and never have problems with my head overheating... even when it's sunny and +5c.
Helmets also don't restrict your sight... ski goggles does. If you put helmet on without ski goggles, you won't really be able to see edges of helmet around face. Of course if you have proper helmet and it's put on your head properly.
Free skiing requires full face helmet? Free skiing like skiing on groomed tracks without gates set, or free skiing in middle of nowhere through virgin powder? I actually agree, that mostly likely full face helmet would do better for both types, but even non full face does its job better then no helmet.

Fiction:
Modern helmets are lightweight. I never really noticed any difference with my neck, shoulder or back if skiing with helmet or just cap.
I don't know if helmets have good ventilation system or not, but it does its job good enough, that it's not hot under helmet... even on warm days.
latest report
achilles wrote:
Boredsurfing wrote:

Fact

Someone should tell Scott McCartney that. I'd argue his helmet saved his life.
ski holidays
My perspective;

Boredsurfing wrote:

Fact
In a high speed collision, a helmet is of no help. - but not detrimental to overall safety
Skiing is safer than ballroom dancing. - didn't know that, if true why aren't helicopters on standby to airlift dancers away from the dance floor when injured
Helmets make your head overheat. - disagree, good ventilation helmets are available which are actually cooler than wooly hats
Children must wear a helmet by law in Italy parts of Austria and in ESF lessons in France. - I'm not sure ESF require helmets to be worn, recommend yes enforce no.
Helmets restrict your sight. - disgree, goggles do but no more so when worn with helmet than when worn on their own.
Helmets restict your hearing. - can be true in certain circumstances, but restricts hearing less than head bands

Fiction
Beginners are more likely to fall and therefore must wear a helmet. - not must but more advised, with the exception of children in Italy no one must
There is no cure for Helmet Hair. - disagree a large proportion of the male population never suffer from helmet hair.
Modern helmets are lightweight. - disagree - there are a lot of modern light weight helmets out there
Modern helmets have good ventilation systems. - disagree a lot of modern helmets have very good ventilation, but you need to be moving not standing around.

Plus;

Fact
In certain circumstances the wearing of a helmet may save your life.
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
achilles wrote:
Boredsurfing wrote:

Fact

Someone should tell Scott McCartney that. I'd argue his helmet saved his life.

Indeed. I wear the same helmet that he does. Actually, I wear the same model as the helmet he wore in that terrible accident as his is in at least two different bits...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wore my helmet everyday skiing last weekend and did not have one fall
I then twatted my head on the door getting into my campervan on the ferry, large bruise, cuts and slight concussion

There's a moral there somewhere Puzzled Puzzled
snow conditions
Can we have a seperate Helmet section..? fed up with seeing these gum up 'Equipment'

or anywhere else for that matter...

The subject is becoming anal...

Laughing Laughing

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 25-03-09 14:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
JT, Good idea, there's plenty of unread sections wink
latest report
and also, OP did not actually say they WERE facts or fictions, just that they were being mooted as facts/fictions....
snow conditions
Fact: Roughly 95% of motorcyclists in civilized countries wear helmets.

Fact: Skiing will soon follow the same trend.
ski holidays
Well, someone's got to do it:

Fact: Whitegold is a loser.
ski holidays
primoz wrote:
I probably ski faster and harder then huge majority of people here, and never have problems with my head overheating...
Laughing
ski holidays
should smileys also where helmets?

ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
primoz wrote:
I probably ski faster and harder then huge majority of people here, and never have problems with my head overheating...
Laughing

Yeah but his ass is over heating with the fiery pants
snow report
Sideshow_Bob, Emotional stuff. But I think Dr Langran is a teensy bit more qualified than you to say how effective helmets are.
latest report
achilles wrote:
Sideshow_Bob, Emotional stuff. But I think Dr Langran is a teensy bit more qualified than you to say how effective helmets are.

What did he say about the Macartney crash?
snow conditions
fact: helmets make me look pretty
fact: my wife says I'm full of cr*p
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy