Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: (Lunch report?) Restaurant recommendations in Courmayeur

Poster: A snowHead
No particular requirements as have no idea what I'll feel like - just recommendations (or warnings!) please.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 29-03-09 19:20; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You must go to Bar Roma for apres ski - about 5pm they have a great spread of free food!

Also try the Tunnel pizzaeria, it's great and very raesonably priced.

http://www.emmeti.it/Welcome/Valdaosta/Valdigne/Courmayeur/Ristoranti/Tunnel/index.uk.html
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very nice restaurant in town, cant remember the name, so here goes with some basic directions
Oppossite end of pedestrian area from Bar Roma down the steps and on to the main road quite near the pharmacy
Traditional tratorria type, very good food.
Sorry cant remember the name but do remember the food......
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agree with beanie1 about Bar Roma - excellent spread of nibbles and food. Toofy Grin Though admittedly not a 'restaurant'.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sadly Bar Roma is closed at the moment. Someone (probably a rival bar owner) complained about the noise, so it's being soundproofed and refitted. I only got the chance to go there twice two weeks ago in Courmayeur and it really was the best bar with a lovely FREE après ski buffet...

I stayed in a half board hotel so only ate out one evening and I can heartily recommend the pizzas at the Tunnel. Very large, delicious and good value for money...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Does no-one check the alphabetical list of resort reviews?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's a really really good one on the piste, on the way home - you'll see it, a little stone place on its own. they do the BEST polenta!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
firebug, if it's the one I'm thinking of it's on the right as you ski down towards the top of the big cable car, a few hundred metres up from the villagey bit at the top of the cable car...... really nice rustic hut run by a crazy italian woman called Anna... fantastic food and an excellent Barolo in the cellar too.... we had the misfortune be forced to stay in there from 10am to 3pm one day as the weather was so bad... oh shame wink ... I seem to recall that the bill was a little on the high side courtesy of 500 Euros worth of the Barolo but we did have a good day, and thankfully we all managed to get down to the cable car in one piece as well!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SnowGod, is that the Michelin starred one? I think there is one of those on the slopes somewhere but I'm not sure which one it is.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
firebug, polenta. Ugh. Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name, polenta, mmmmm!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On the mountain La Maison Vieille, go up and down on a night by snowmobile. It is up by the nursery slope. Old stone built restaurant
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
beanie1, not sure it was michelin starred.... having said that I wouldn't expect it to be so wouldn't have payed attention on the way in as I was more interested in getting out of the bad weather.... and on the way out I couldn't have read it anyway due to the Barolo!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name, it will change your view of polenta!!!

SnowGod, sounds like the same one to me Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OK, so we stayed at the Hotel-Club Mont Blanc which was OK in general, ridiculously tight parking garage and they really could have not charged us €12 to park there. Michele the barman was absolutely charming.

We ate (tired and fractious) in the Pizzeria du Tunnel on Friday - disappointed as we expected awesome fare - and although it was good, it wasn't awesome. Nor particularly cheap. Very large pizzas though and certainly acceptable.

Saturday dawned, vaguely, in a rainy below 1,300m sort of way. Without a great deal of enthusiasm we negotiated the dodgy Italian signage to eventually find the Dolonne gondola.

Well.

What an eye opener that was.

A thing of beauty.

How ski lifts should be (and often aren't).

Helped by the lack of competition (no one about) we charged our Mont Blanc passes (and they even checked that they worked before returning them) and headed up.

Yuck. Yuck. Yuck.

Snowing very wetly and very heavily we did a few runs. Her ladyship found her excellently sharpened skis too sharp and had to blunt them. I had my first collision ever (other person's fault). No damage (snow too heavy to ski quickly). And we decided to retire for lunch.

Tried twice (2 runs) to find Maison Vieille. Not a chance (couldn't see hand in front of face). So I went in to investigate menu at the highest of the cluster of restos. Good jazz playing, waiter brushed off the snow, wouldn't let me in without brushing my feet, magnums, jeroboams and methuselahs of fine wine outside, ... forget about checking the menu, it looked great.

And it was.

It really, really was.

Shared some Lingurian anchovies to start, lovely, sweet and light.

She had fabulous rack of lamb, I had a good fillet steak. We both wished we'd had the suckling pig. Washed down with a delightful Barbera. And too, too many genepis and a fine liquorice and onion liquor. (haven't had that before).

Truly splendid. May have to go back next week.

Ruined us however for dinner. Retired for a nap, had an apero in the American Bar and hit (once we found it) the Terrazia for supper. Was very good, but we didn't do it justice.

Conclusion? Just what we needed, a fun weekend away, and a new favourite lunch spot.

Huzzah!
snow conditions
under a new name, sorry you didn't enjoy the Tunnel, it's certainly my favourite pizzeria type restaurant in Courmayeur - and a lot cheaper than many other restaurants! Although that is comparative, exchange rate may mean it is not that cheap now.
latest report
beanie1, not a problem, it was good, but we are slightly spoiled I think, and thus fussy. We did enjoy it!

Ddin't seem to be that many good places for a town that size? Forgotten how good the skiing could be (if you knew where you were going...)
ski holidays
under a new name, I think most of the better restaurants are in the hotels.
snow report
SnowGod wrote:
firebug, if it's the one I'm thinking of it's on the right as you ski down towards the top of the big cable car, a few hundred metres up from the villagey bit at the top of the cable car...... really nice rustic hut run by a crazy italian woman called Anna... fantastic food and an excellent Barolo in the cellar too.... we had the misfortune be forced to stay in there from 10am to 3pm one day as the weather was so bad... oh shame wink ... I seem to recall that the bill was a little on the high side courtesy of 500 Euros worth of the Barolo but we did have a good day, and thankfully we all managed to get down to the cable car in one piece as well!

Had the pleasure of eating there on 2 occasions.

I`ve eaten in quite a few alpine (and other) restaurants. Would say this was one of the best - if not the best.

The food is beauthifully prepared. The wine list is wonderful.

The `Ana` experience is not to be missed. Warm, loud, hospitable (and rather sexy, it has to be said).

If you get a chance - go for it.
snow conditions
Quote:

The `Ana` experience is not to be missed. Warm, loud, hospitable (and rather sexy, it has to be said).

Never had the opportunity to find out if she was warm Crying or Very sad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy