Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solden - HATED IT !

Poster: A snowHead
Hurtle wrote:
rob@rar,
Quote:

When those families go home the large ski resorts are relatively deserted with a significant over-capacity in uplift, accommodation and terrain for the number of people who ski those resorts off-peak.
simply can't tell you how often Paul and I were the only people on the lovely reds around Derby and Grizzly, and even around Vagere, last week. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

That's my experience for much of the season, outside of school holidays.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sleipnir,

Sölden has 150 km of pisted runs compared to Obertauern's 100 km. Wouldn't call any of them tiny. Chamonix has 152 km of piste, is that a tiny disjointed resort too? (yes I know like St Anton Cham has a massive back country but I'm just comparing pisted runs). La Ros has (shock horror) 140 km. Pretty sure local wines can be found for under 18 Euro in Sölden.

Here's the piste map for Sölden. There are two main lift stations in the valley but you don't need to bus it between the two. Don't really understand why the OP is bitching about the buses.

http://www.bergfex.com/soelden/schneebericht/#/soelden/panorama/

To be honest it's clear the OP didn't like Sölden but IMHO he/she is exaggerating the negatives.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers DB!

I'm looking forward to skiing in Sölden. Going to stay with a friend who owns a hotel there, so expecting good things - not only for the hotel service, but the local knowledge. Plus, she is an ex member of the Austrian World Cup ski team, so being able to ski with her will (I hope) will be a fantastic experience. Deep down I'm quite pleased that the runs are not so challenging as trying to keep up in touch with her when we ski in itself is going to be a huge challenge!! rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB wrote:
Sleipnir,

Sölden has 150 km of pisted runs compared to Obertauern's 100 km. Wouldn't call any of them tiny. Chamonix has 152 km of piste, is that a tiny disjointed resort too? (yes I know like St Anton Cham has a massive back country but I'm just comparing pisted runs). La Ros has (shock horror) 140 km. Pretty sure local wines can be found for under 18 Euro in Sölden.

Here's the piste map for Sölden. There are two main lift stations in the valley but you don't need to bus it between the two. Don't really understand why the OP is bitching about the buses.

To be honest it's clear the OP didn't like Sölden but IMHO he/she is exaggerating the negatives.

I had to join after reading this thread. The OP is not exaggerating. Solden is a place which most skiers (whether you prefer Austria or France or any other country for that matter) would not enjoy. I went there as a fairly competent skier who enjoyed reds in france/switzerland but was wary of blacks, who enjoyed apres but was not too extreme either way (i.e. I like a few beers as much as I like a bit of raclette and red wine). In short, after skiing France and Switzerland 5 times I fancied a change and had heard a good deal about Austria. I was torn between several resorts -

St Anton struck me as perfect but you don't get the best out of it unless you do a lot of off piste and touring apparently (which I don't) - so I put that on my list for 2 years time.

Lech - really liked the look of that for the pistes but VERY expensive.

So... I ended up in Solden.. why? A good resort for adventurous intermediates and lively apres but not too OTT in terms of aggresiveness etc (I'm a woman by the way but not one who cannot handle a bit of silliness from men.. you'll see the reason for this comment later in the report)

I went with my boyfriend and another couple some time ago.. it may have changed since then but I doubt it. My thoughts:

The apres: As I have said, I went with my boyfriend and to stand next to him at a bar with other people groping me was very difficult. I tried to get their hands away as did he but we were going for a drink not an argument.

Lunch: Compared to France when you can chill out for a couple of hours enjoying the view, a glass of wine, good conversation and a deckchair.. solden will: charge you for a deckchair; the food and the set up is like a motorway cafe and everyone will be getting trollied on beer and then skiiing back to the village to 'get on the apres' for 3pm; the runs back will be slushy moguls (the only reason they're red and black) and the food is a rip off.

THE SKIING: Wow, when there's powder on the black runs it feels like the best off piste.. Why? Because everyone else stays in bed until 10am so if you get to either gondola for when the lifts open at 8am and then are willing to wait for the lifts to the top you will leave fresh powder tracks on the actual piste... at 9.30am. A great experience but make sure you set your alarm for it wink My main point here is from putting on your boots and putting your skis over your shoulder it WILL be AT least an hour before you actually ski.

Overall though, VERY tame runs compared to anywhere else I've been. There is no black that any beginner on their third day skiing couldn't get down and get a false sense of confidence out of. This resort markets itself as some sort of expert on piste skiing - definitely not. I cannot express enough how incredibly tame and confined the skiing is to anyone who can ski a hard blue/easy red in france (I'm not kidding!)

OFF PISTE: I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the massive avalance risk in solden and the high winds.. adventurious intermediate?! You'd have to be an expert skier to go very far off piste in solden.. Maybe they combine the difficult off piste with their tame piste runs to come up with this 'adventurious intermediate' description.

ACCOM: Absolutely wonderful and I can't fault the standards of service all round in Austria but I'd rather they'd have been rude and I'd have had some good skiing.

PS - OBERGURGL is NOT included in the lift pass (you can add it at the time of buying for 1 day there for 10euro on top of the solden pass (do it) otherwise a day pass is 40euro)

In short, unless you're a group of lads out for the bevy more than the skiing, avoid solden. For the record, it hasn't put me off Austria although ski trips cost a lot of money and I'd rather go to a different resort in france as I believe the 'risk factor' is less.

Queen Bodecia - My first skiiing trip was also to la plagne - totally agree with your description in terms of ugly, purpose built etc - but I did think the skiing was amazing and I'd take that over solden ANY time!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DB wrote:
Sleipnir,

Local wines could not be found for less than 20 euro when I was there, let alone 18. I spoke to a bar owner there who said that south of Tyrol wines are a third of the price but in tyrol they are almost sponsored by beer companies. If you like beer though, you're in luck.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
grace wrote:
DB wrote:
Sleipnir,

Local wines could not be found for less than 20 euro when I was there, let alone 18. I spoke to a bar owner there who said that south of Tyrol wines are a third of the price but in tyrol they are almost sponsored by beer companies. If you like beer though, you're in luck.

Sorry, I just read your other point. It is a 30 mn (40min or more in ski boots) bettwen gais and gigg - have you been to solden??
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
grace wrote:

Buying a bottle of wine from a bar is often a rip off. We travelled down with cars and bought wine on the journey down, at a local supermarket or took it with us. Apre ski was generally beer & schnaps drinking time.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
grace wrote:
Sorry, I just read your other point. It is a 30 mn (40min or more in ski boots) bettwen gais and gigg - have you been to solden??

Why use the bus when you can jump on ski lifts? The point I was making was that unlike some other resorts in Austria and France you don't have to use buses or other transport methods to reach different parts of the resort.

I've skied Sölden ca 6 times - how many times have you skied it? Looks like Sölden isn't the place for the wine drinker who only 'skis' on piste. Must admit I don't visit resorts like Sölden and complain about the pistes not being steep enough, I'll just dive into the offpiste. If you are good enough to ski black pistes (and I mean ski not just get down) why not take the next progression into offpiste - you should be able to handle it?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
grace wrote:
OFF PISTE: I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the massive avalance risk in solden and the high winds.. adventurious intermediate?! You'd have to be an expert skier to go very far off piste in solden.. Maybe they combine the difficult off piste with their tame piste runs to come up with this 'adventurious intermediate' description.

How do you know did you ski extensively offpiste? The avy risk varies and is weather dependent but much of the offpiste can be seen from the lifts so if a slide happens or you have an accident assistance is likely to be quicker/better (somebody from the lift is likely to see it and ring for the emergency services). As quite a lot of the offpiste slopes down onto pisted areas it will probably be avy controlled anyway. Compared to say St Anton offpiste, IMO Sölden is easy. When the avy conditions allow it's an ideal resort for those who want to get into offpiste (but only if you get to bed early without getting totaly plastered and 'groppy' at Apres ski so you can get the early bus).

grace wrote:
PS - OBERGURGL is NOT included in the lift pass (you can add it at the time of buying for 1 day there for 10euro on top of the solden pass (do it) otherwise a day pass is 40euro)

Yes I thought Obergurgl was on a different lift pass.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Smokin Joe wrote:
boabski, apologies - I was taking the pish ! Laughing

Doh! Yes, keep going to France folks - Austria blows big time wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB wrote:
grace wrote:

Why use the bus when you can jump on ski lifts? The point I was making was that unlike some other resorts in Austria and France you don't have to use buses or other transport methods to reach different parts of the resort.

I've skied Sölden ca 6 times - how many times have you skied it? Looks like Sölden isn't the place for the wine drinker who only 'skis' on piste. Must admit I don't visit resorts like Sölden and complain about the pistes not being steep enough, I'll just dive into the offpiste. If you are good enough to ski black pistes (and I mean ski not just get down) why not take the next progression into offpiste - you should be able to handle it?

Ski lifts? We got to the 8/8.30am (that's the opening time differing not our arrival time) gondola at giggijoch everyday bar the one time we went to gais (which was worse) and then we tried to get to the top via lift (as you couldn't ski anywhere except back to base to join the queues now building for 1 of the 2 gondolas holding 8 ppl who had already walked a mile to get to them from their second rate accom) and waited until the lift after the gondola near black 31 (which we skied 3 times in the meantime as it's soo short) opened at 9.30. Then finally we got some skiing in.

Apart from Chamonix, you can get ski in-ski out in france pretty neasily without breaking the bank. At least with Chamonix you have some good skiing. Take me to serre che, risoul, paradiski, three valleys but solden - no thanks. As for the off piste there- there are no decent jumps (except off derelict huts) and no trees to speak of apart from those near the pistes back to base and what's the point of off piste if you can hear children crying because their parents have taken them down a red run which is packed, slushy, mogulled and unenjoyable for all around.

Saying that, I'm glad you had a nice time and you're not alone in enjoying solden as it was packed when I went there in Jan in a what is a quietish week.. apparently.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Sweeping generalisations at a country level are unsustainable in my opinion and should be challenged otherwise new or inexperienced skiers might believe them to be accepted truths.

Absolutely. I ski, these days, entirely in France (because of having an apartment here) and practically never queue for a lift, during around 12 weeks skiing each season. We frequently have entire pistes to ourselves.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From the number of separate trips to different countries, Austria wins for me

So far it's

Austria - 5
France - 4
Italy - 4
Spain - 2
Andorra - 1
Bulgaria - 1
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Sweeping generalisations at a country level are unsustainable in my opinion and should be challenged otherwise new or inexperienced skiers might believe them to be accepted truths.

Absolutely. I ski, these days, entirely in France (because of having an apartment here) and practically never queue for a lift, during around 12 weeks skiing each season. We frequently have entire pistes to ourselves.

Re the first quote, of course I agree. I have tried my upmost not to make my disappointment at solden seem like an attack on Austria. I have also tried to give an objective account of Solden so those who are considering going there can also consider my opinion.

Yes, I won't be going back to Austria any time soon because of my bad experience in solden and that is a shame but unless you have lots of money/holiday you want your ski holidays to not be 'risky' in terms of the unknown. I'm not talking about off piste here, I'm talking about misleading piste maps, prices, reports etc.

I went on 4 ski trips this year (I take most of my annual leave for skiing) and took a risk with solden - it did not pay off. The other 3 (in france) made my year. Incidently, despite the cheaper prices in solden for food, it was also my most expensive trip of the 4. It really was a case of throwing good money after bad in that place.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
grace wrote:
THE SKIING: Wow, when there's powder on the black runs it feels like the best off piste.. Why? Because everyone else stays in bed until 10am so if you get to either gondola for when the lifts open at 8am and then are willing to wait for the lifts to the top you will leave fresh powder tracks on the actual piste... at 9.30am. A great experience but make sure you set your alarm for it wink My main point here is from putting on your boots and putting your skis over your shoulder it WILL be AT least an hour before you actually ski.

NO it MAY not. I have distinct memories of leaving the hotel at 8:45 ish, walking 2 mins to the gondola lift, queueing for about 2 to 5 mins, getting to the top, get off, get on the chair (2 min queue), get off, start skiing. Probably about half an hour to 40 mins total - but with a lot of vertical to go.

Suppose a lot depends on time of year and weekends were certainly busier than weekdays. But the quote above is not reflective of my experience DURING THE WEEK. That's all folks.
latest report
Never been to Solden so can't comment but recent experiences Austria were super, end of Jan in Zell am See, stayed for €30 a night in very nice B and B 50 metres from main lift, an absolute charming resort, a jewel. Then went to Saalbach, more expensive but I loved that you can ski around the whole place, again good accommodation, lots of piste variety and reasonable eating and drinking places. Was also in France twice this year, general comments are that France is far more expensive for pints, 2/3s price in Austria and Austrian mountain food is also better value for similar quality, apfel strudel €3.50 in Austria but €6-7 in Les Deux Alpes last week. Austria has more charming mountain restaurants and treeline skiing. France has lots to offer but I think if snow conditions were similar Austria would win every time.
snow report
RobW wrote:

For some reason Solden appears in few UK tour operator's brochures, so it tends not to be overrun by Brits - maybe that's another reason why we liked it. Toofy Grin

yep - knew there was a reason I've avoided it wink

Would highly recommend Lech, Ischgl and Serfaus if you feel like giving Austria a second chance. No one groped me at those places Embarassed
ski holidays
grace wrote:
Ski lifts? We got to the 8/8.30am (that's the opening time differing not our arrival time) gondola at giggijoch everyday bar the one time we went to gais (which was worse) and then we tried to get to the top via lift (as you couldn't ski anywhere except back to base to join the queues now building for 1 of the 2 gondolas holding 8 ppl who had already walked a mile to get to them from their second rate accom) and waited until the lift after the gondola near black 31 (which we skied 3 times in the meantime as it's soo short) opened at 9.30. Then finally we got some skiing in.

If a lift didn't open until 9:30 that indicates to me that the weather conditions (avy risk, high winds etc) were causing problems. Of course then this causes a back up - has happened to me a few times in St Anton.

grace wrote:
As for the off piste there- there are no decent jumps (except off derelict huts) and no trees to speak of apart from those near the pistes back to base and what's the point of off piste if you can hear children crying because their parents have taken them down a red run which is packed, slushy, mogulled and unenjoyable for all around.

Hang on, one minute the blacks aren't steep enough, there are no jumps but slushy moguled red pistes are a problem. Puzzled

grace wrote:
Saying that, I'm glad you had a nice time and you're not alone in enjoying solden as it was packed when I went there in Jan in a what is a quietish week.. apparently.

Could understand if it was packed in Feb but packed in Jan is unusual. Of course Sölden has a glacier and is high so in a bad snow year when the local lower resorts are really suffering people flock to the glaciers which can cause massive queues - this has happened to me at Kaprun and Hintertux.

I wonder how much of the dislike is because it isn't the same as France i.e. purpose built resorts offering more ski in / ski out and inexpensive wine. Us brits do tend to get to like something abroad or foreign and then stick to it, e.g. there's nothing quite so British as a bacon butty (made with Dannish bacon of course). IMHO one skip trip whether it be France, Austria, Japan, USA etc and shouldn't be used to judge ski resorts in the whole country.
latest report
DB wrote:
grace wrote:

If a lift didn't open until 9:30 that indicates to me that the weather conditions (avy risk, high winds etc) were causing problems. Of course then this causes a back up - has happened to me a few times in St Anton.

grace wrote:
As for the off piste there- there are no decent jumps (except off derelict huts) and no trees to speak of apart from those near the pistes back to base and what's the point of off piste if you can hear children crying because their parents have taken them down a red run which is packed, slushy, mogulled and unenjoyable for all around.

Hang on, one minute the blacks aren't steep enough, there are no jumps but slushy moguled red pistes are a problem. Puzzled

grace wrote:

Could understand if it was packed in Feb but packed in Jan is unusual. Of course Sölden has a glacier and is high so in a bad snow year when the local lower resorts are really suffering people flock to the glaciers which can cause massive queues - this has happened to me at Kaprun and Hintertux.

I wonder how much of the dislike is because it isn't the same as France i.e. purpose built resorts offering more ski in / ski out and inexpensive wine. Us brits do tend to get to like something abroad or foreign and then stick to it, e.g. there's nothing quite so British as a bacon butty (made with Dannish bacon of course). IMHO one skip trip whether it be France, Austria, Japan, USA etc and shouldn't be used to judge ski resorts in the whole country.

I'm not British and I don't think I've judged Austria as a whole at all; If you read my posts you will see I have been at pains not to in fact.

Re the red mogul run - I said that to demonstrate that the only accessible off piste through the trees is off the red and blacks back to base as, as you will know, the tree line is quite low in solden.
ski holidays
grace wrote:
Yes, I won't be going back to Austria any time soon because of my bad experience in solden .....
snow report
I count myself as a keen skier. Maybe I'm spoilt, but taking 40 - 60 minutes to get onto the snow, every day, is really not what I'm after. I don't mind driving occasionally, to get to another resort, provided that I can park the car when I get there, and then walk to a lift without getting blisters in my skiboots. But standing round for ages in queues and jostling with loads of others in crowded gondolas - no thanks.
snow conditions
Libertine, It is amazing how a resort can be sooooo different to different folks! It is Mrs RH's favourite place! She is a skier and IMO a good skier, she loves the place, in fairness her home hill is only about 5km it total but learnt her craft on those 5ks! She and the rest of her ex team mates found enough for them there. Summer training as well as winter holidays!

There is one consolation to this, next time she asks I can say that it would be too easy for me and can try somewhere else. There is one resort we both will not return to, that is Livigno. That said it has a great following here in Ireland and the UK too. It just goes to show one place is not everything to all men (and women Embarassed )
ski holidays
I mentioned before.

Solden has changed alot in the last 10-15yrs. It used to be a nice town.

Even the Austrian are embarassed what they have done to there town. Sad
snow conditions
At least we are all agreed on the Solden issue then !! Shocked

I maintain its naf !
latest report
Hello stanton, long time no read.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy