Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Message from Sir David

Poster: A snowHead
I emailed Sir David this morning with news of this site - telling him that U brain had set it up. Here's his reply!

Liz
In that case, U-brain will have to tell me who he is. I've blamed my
U-bends on many occasions when the sink's blocked (and I also blamed
Margaret Thatcher for famously not U-turning) but the poor old U-brain
sounds thoroughly blameless to me.
Seriously, I'd like him to email me personally.
I want the SCGB to get its act together again, and if necessary charge
a low rate for website users only. The present situation is ludicrous.
Give my love to your fellow Snowheads. I love their carrot noses.
You're welcome to cut 'n paste this email to the site as you wish.
Regards
David
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Elizabeth B wrote:
I emailed Sir David this morning with news of this site - telling him that U brain had set it up. Here's his reply!

Liz
In that case, U-brain will have to tell me who he is. I've blamed my
U-bends on many occasions when the sink's blocked (and I also blamed
Margaret Thatcher for famously not U-turning) but the poor old U-brain
sounds thoroughly blameless to me.
Seriously, I'd like him to email me personally.
I want the SCGB to get its act together again, and if necessary charge
a low rate for website users only. The present situation is ludicrous.
Give my love to your fellow Snowheads. I love their carrot noses.
You're welcome to cut 'n paste this email to the site as you wish.
Regards
David
>a low rate for website users only
which kind of sums it up really. They're not a web based organisation, they're a *northern monkey head on* bunch of rich toffs who want to meet up and ski until lunch. they see the web as a way of generating extra income from "users".

what they don;t realise is that the service they're offering is available for free on sites such as this. we don;t have to pay for it here, so what wuold make us pay for it there? Granted, this forum is not free as someon has to pay for the bandwidth and operating costs, but they will be so minimal I would expect a quick paypal whip-round wouyld suffice, or better still sponsorship from one of the entities within the snowsports world like a major retailer etc
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I must admit that I shared David's view. I had never skied with a rep, and resented the fact that the very few who did (as a proportion of the total SCGB membership) were being subsidised by the remaining members.
I joined SCGB because of the impact the Forum had on me. It gave me info and a feeling of a group of friends with a common love or interest.
I suggested a reduced rate to Laura of say £5 every 3 months just to maintain a high level of forum useage. I admit that I would prefer to see hundreds of members here, but on MO day, this option did not exist. Forums like this depend on as many contributors as possible to give them the maximum value and benefit. Let's all do what we can to make this as good as we can, and that involves input in the first instance and increasing numbers of users in the second.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My experience of forums comes from my mountain biking. In the three or four years I've been doing that, I've not once had to pay to use a forum - there are some "pay" forums out there but there are more free forums, and they're usually more popular.

£5 every three months is still £20 a year. It might not sound much to some people but to others that's a couple of nights out. Given the availability of free forums, guess what wins out for me>

i've never skiied with a rep and probably never will now, the ski club for me seem to have lost touch -not not true, I've always perceived them as a club for "monied people" and therefore not in touch with those of us who have to work for a living, rather say that the club has now shown its true colours.

harsh? maybe, but in my view, justified
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think it's pretty short sighted of the SCGB - surely their main attraction to would-be advertisers was the hit rate on their site per day? This has dropped rather drastically "overnight" & must impact on advertising sales.
If you were trying to sell skis/snowboards/ski holidays etc, where would you rather advertise? to a minority of elitists who are going to want to claim a discount, or a widely used "free" community forum populated by the broadest spectrum of people?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I did say that I shared (note- past tense) David's view. That was based upon there being no alternative forum that was remotely comparable. My view on a reduced subsciption was to maintain a reasonable numbers of users. We now have here.
I too am registered on mountain bike fora(?), and they only succeed with enough people joining in. The MTB-wales.com website has about 60 plus pages of members alone!!
If we could eventually get that type of support, then we will have got something that will be really worthwhile.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fora indeed, another man with at least a partial education (I refrain from using the term as most people would not see the connection from fora to forum)

NBT is my forum persona, will I know yours? I frequent STW and BM. If you don't recognise any of the acronyms then it won't be worth asking Shock)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No, I'm afraid not. Sad Enjoy a bit of leisurely mountain biking in North Wales when the white stuff disappears. Coed y Brenin, Gwydyr forest and some local stuff in the Clwydian Hills. Tend to use the sites for trail maps etc more than anything else. I'm the wrong side of 40 ( but only just!) to take my biking too competitively. Embarassed
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Dictionary does allow both "forums" and "fora" chaps. I checked that one out long ago Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
That's the advantage of borrowing words - you can mess about with them once you've got them!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Shocked

excuse my bafflement, but as a non ski-club oik, I dont know who Sir David is.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The font of all knowledge in Skidonia
The sage of the pistes

in short Godski
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
andy b wrote:
Shocked

excuse my bafflement, but as a non ski-club oik, I dont know who Sir David is.

David Goldsmith - what he doesn't know about skiing isn't worth knowing.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also new member No: 58
Welcome Sir David pleased you grace us with your presence

Your Lowly subject
Slowplough
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes. It is a pleasure to have you amongst us. Despite your long association with SCGB, it would make us feel worthy if you could cascade a little of your knowledge downwards to us every now and again Very Happy .
snow report
So the great Yoda, 'Goldski' of the mountains is here........then the force is truely with us! Very Happy
snow conditions
Oh THAT David.

I know who you mean but I never knew he was a Lord.

Apologies from your humble servant Wink

PS I wish you would stop posting all those skiing related links. I get little enough done as it is.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy