Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trip Report ... Couloir du Glacier du Midi de Bellecote

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
January 30th 2009

Couloir du Glacier du Midi de Bellecote (La Plagne)

I have never had a bad day in the mountains - some snow with Belgian & Italian attitudes (Breakable crust mainly), perhaps ... Au contraire, every day has been absolutely amazing .... but some days are more amazing than others .. & January 30th was one of those ... Laughing snowHead

Setting out on a day’s skiing with guide Francois Allemoz can be a daunting prospect, but there are few other guides that I would prefer to ski with. Days with Francois are BIG days ... However, from the moment the day is listed on the calendar, a silent echo resounds from that Scottish member of the famous Walmington-on-Sea platoon of Dad’s Army ... rolling eyes That knotted stomach fear of the unknown, remains firmly in place for the days and moments preceding the first turns in the snow ... then BLISS ..... Laughing

Equipment is checked, double checked and checked again. Food is difficult to keep in place, but necessary ... Last Will & Testament in place Toofy Grin we set off ... but I am very fortunate that another snowHead snowHead shares the same macabre passion for the mountains ... ‘La version du Francois’ ....

We set off from La Roche and en-route to Bellecote, we encounter the most sublime powder & breath taking powder. Couloir ‘Bernard’ (No relation! .. ) off Roche de Mio, is a joyous baptism on such a beautiful morning Laughing snowHead We are almost entirely a French grouping saving two international snowHeads ... myself and Sara. It is simply enchanting. Picture here is of a previous visit as my camera is in my rucksack & there’s no hanging around today for photos.

We ascend to the Glacier and drop into a couloir off the Orientation table, North of the top of the Telecabine Bellecote. Some third of the way down I am confronted by destiny as Francois stops atop a secondary couloir, to the left. It is about six ski widths wide Shocked My fixed, knashing smile and tightening of various parts alerts Francois to the fact he might have a refusal as I have a definite & healthy phobia of combined VERY steep & VERY narrow. He is such a calm man and has such a calming influence & he tells me quietly I can do it. I believe him, but in addition quietly offer up a prayer for salvation Mad It’s steep, straight and frankly SCARY & I need to know that I can put in a turn after the ‘narrows’. In his indomitable way he assures me that there is room for a ‘quick’ left turn to kill off speed, then drop through 40 degrees onto an open combe. What a jolly jape ... I remember Martin Chester’s words at Plas-Y-Brenin regarding couloirs selection .. “Ecoute de votre derriere” Toofy Grin With that he’s off and I delay – ostensibly to leave him space .... but it’s decision time and I launch .... Some two nano-seconds later I am out in the open Combe – quite now knowing how, but with vague recollections of the ‘left turn’ working & no obvious evidence or feelings of ‘bodily accidents’ .. Toofy Grin

To say that I am elated is the understatement of the century .... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy snowHead I even begin to sing a little ditty and notice the others checking their ABS handles .... - some appreciation of my obvious and much acclaimed singing talents .... Toofy Grin

We navigate back to the Glacier and the ‘Traverse’ Chair, from whence we begin the climb .... Sara manages a smile ... really .... Laughing

After a brief powder extravaganza, we commence skinning to the Sommet propre de Bellecote. It is an absolutely beautiful day and we are alone & in contemplation of life’s mysteries ....

Happy snowHead ... ? snowHead

On top of Sommet de Bellecote propre .... the top of our world ... !
Thierry (Helmet!), Jean Luc, Karl (Francois son) & Francis

The demon, talking gloves ... Toofy Grin

More superlative powder, though short, as we reach the elusive Couloir du Glacier du Midi de Bellecote ....

The photo somewhat belies the fact, but this baby is steep ... The rope is deployed for the drop-in and I am a happy bunny that I was a beneficiary of the Ski-Mountaineering Rope Course at Plas-Y-Brenin last September .... We are apparently the first to ski this couloirs in nearly three years.
Karl goes .... he is a seriously brilliant skier ... Madeye-Smiley

Contemplating life’s and other mysteries .... NO room for negative events here ... Toofy Grin

Sara ready for off ... snowHead

POW ! .. POW ! ... is the reward ... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy snowHead

... a brief look back ..

... then out into another bowl ... snowHead

Thence to the third climb, which again the photo hides the steepness ...

The Sommet ... ! Francois in anticipation of lunch, or cryptic message about too many photos .. ? rolling eyes

Jocelyn had a very tough climb, but loved it .... Toofy Grin

LUNCHEON and the planting of the Irish flag, with snowHeads pennant attached of course ... snowHead The Couloir du Glacier du Midi de Bellecote was apparently not skied in either 2007, or 2008 due to poor conditions and we had the honour of being the first to ski it since. Now fresh, black olive bread, avec jambon, brie et salad never tasted so good ... yum .. yum ... Laughing

We skied absolutely glorious powder, pretty much all the way to the ski du fond approaches to Champagny en Haut, though my poor legs are indicating that they are expending reserves that aren’t there. However, for the great and glorious honour of snowHeads and country, Sara & I destroy the opposition on the 4km skate-out to Champagny en Haut.
... and then the story ends ... “ ... But tomorrow is another day ... !” ... Very Happy snowHead

... even ‘The Demon Gloves’ (foreground) lay down to rest ... rolling eyes

... and a few hours later later, I just manage to avoid the catastrophe diabolique of falling asleep in a Chicken Stir-fry ( .. just caught the left cheek in a fine Canton Black Bean Sauce, as contact with the table provided an unwelcome though necessary stimulus ..... Toofy Grin
Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 27-03-09 12:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DO WANT!!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BernardC, ha ha...looks great and the rope is christened..?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
JT wrote:
BernardC, ..... and the rope is christened..?

That course was the best thing since Sliced Bread .... Very Happy snowHead ... without would have had to turn back from 5-6 beautiful places ...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy