Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

... Scribblings from The Tarentaise .. 4

Poster: A snowHead
March 23rd 2009

Interesting couloirs and le Cul du Nant Variation

Exhausted this morning – although in bed by 21h:30, overnight I was scoring trys for Ireland in Cardifff & doing brilliant & very impressive turns in the Les Breches de la Portetta Couloir, until 06h:30 Laughing An Increased porridge ration went some way to redressing the balance of such strenuous activities and calming that stomach-churning over-excitement that always precedes a day out with guide Francois Allemoz.

.... coupled with the still present grossen high of watching Ireland’s brilliant, humungous & supercalafraglisticxpaladocious Grand Slam victory at Cardiff on Saturday Laughing Laughing Laughing It’s a wonder I didn’t need increased medication. I shall really, really try not to mention our brilliant Grand Slam victory again ... Toofy Grin

It’s La Plagne today and I meet up with snowHead Sara, on time, at La Roche, despite having less than 60 cent phone credit. An injudicious, rash & major bout of texting, following Ireland’s brilliant Grand Slam victory on Saturday, relieved me of €34,40 odd cent credit. Why I imagined most of Europe & North America had not heard the news of our brilliant Grand Slam victory still remains a mystery to me, Laughing though I concede that the Saint Emilion may have a case to answer....so grovelling apologies to ‘inconvenienced’ snowheads .... Embarassed

Anyway, where were we ... La Roche to Roche de Mio was fairly uneventful for Francois Allemoz ... Smile but it didn’t save the torture of not knowing the minute or the hour that he would heave himself off a precipice with his disciples in tow Toofy Grin We skied down to the roped off section, to drop off the West face of Roche de Mio. Having done most of the couloirs off this face, my feeling of smug confidence immediately evaporated as he detached skis & began to climb instead of jumping off! Shocked A five minute climb let to ‘The Ski & Board putting on Platform’ – about on par with the size of a 1st Class postage stamp ..... rolling eyes
However, a Tres Beau couloirs is revealed ....

Quelle amazement that Francois comes up trumps again – this is UNTRACKED ... A firm ‘jump’ dislodges a bit of slab & we’re ready ... Very Happy

If Paul Daniels were skiing with us he’d have said ... “That’s magic .. “ Laughing .... It’s fairly safe, but we go one at a time, into absolutely beautiful snow ... Gott in Himmel ... EXTASY ... Laughing snowHead sublime turns on icing sugar ( .. though in my case not as brilliant & impressive as last nights in the Portetta .. NehNeh ) Francois says that this couloir doesn’t have a name, so I immediately christen it ‘Le Grand Slam Couloir’ ... ... oops ... musn’t mention the war .. er no ... musn’t mention the Rugby .... Laughing

From the traverse there’s MORE .... & a cryptic clue on the ski .... snowHead

Taken from the Glacier ... If I can edit this photo, I’ll put in a red marker to show the entry point etc.

(Quite pleased to have gotten a whole red line! ... albeit after 15 minutes trying)

We proceed up to the Glacier and climb from the ‘Traverse’ chair, over the top. The initial descent has suffered from the recent prolonged sun and we negotiate it with care.

We are doing a variation of The Cul du Nant, and it has been well tracked – but blow me down, Francois delivers another untracked couloirs for us to play in ... Very Happy snowHead Whee .. ! .... There’s the man himself ... resting on his sticks ... Cool

The Run-out ... how about this for a gem in anotherwise tracked out resort ... snowHead Sara turning on the style ...

Luncheon at the Refuge de Plaisance – Jean Marc, Francois, Sara & Boris Becker (Thierry) ...

A quick look back – spot the crowds .... & we’re off ...

Incredible SPRING SNOW ... snowHead to the valley & another great snowHead victory in the 4km skate-out to Champagny le Haut, (comparable at least to Ireland’s Grand Slam Victory) ... Toofy Grin

The conclusion of another sublime & magnificent day in Paradise is enhanced greatly by the thoughts of a Boeuf Bourguignon simmering in the slow cooker Chez moi at Les Charmettes Very Happy But then the thought .. surely, ‘Boeuf Bourguignon’ is a rather a very plain name .. should it not be renamed ‘Le Cassolet du Six Nations’ ... ? oops ... NehNeh
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice. Very nice Smile Wish I could have been with you (although the rugby references might have required toning down a bit Wink)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BernardC, Long time no see, wleomc back to posting. Very jealous of the pics, wish I could getout to join you some time!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
BernardC wrote:
An injudicious, rash & major bout of texting, following Ireland’s brilliant Grand Slam victory on Saturday, relieved me of €34,40 odd cent credit. Why I imagined most of Europe & North America had not heard the news of our brilliant Grand Slam victory still remains a mystery to me, Laughing though I concede that the Saint Emilion may have a case to answer....so grovelling apologies to ‘inconvenienced’ snowheads .... Embarassed

No apology needed (although I shall keep a copy for use at a later date. "Urinated as a coot" indeed! Wink )
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BernardC, I deleted you texts without reading them. You are the man that put the cock in "au vin". wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
Nice. Very nice Smile Wish I could have been with you (although the rugby references might have required toning down a bit Wink)

Normally, Bernard is great company - but I would have thought he was impossible to be with following the Grand Slam. rolling eyes Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BernardC, top post - looks FAN-bloomin-TAS-TIC and I'm jealous as a jealous thing Toofy Grin
Just a few questions though...
- what's a grand slam victory?
- could it happen anywhere or is it a Cardiff specific thing?
- was this 'news' widely publicised as it seems to have passed me by?
Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
flowa, you're a girly. Grand Slam is men's talk. NehNeh

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 24-03-09 13:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bravo.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
can't believe that first couloir was untracked

oh wait a minute - it's in La Plagne - now it all makes sense Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno wrote:
can't believe that first couloir was untracked

oh wait a minute - it's in La Plagne - now it all makes sense Cool

Spot on, every one knows there is no off piste in the La Plagne area Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
it's just a bunch of blue motorways
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
flowa wrote:
BernardC, top post - looks FAN-bloomin-TAS-TIC and I'm jealous as a jealous thing Toofy Grin
Just a few questions though...
- what's a grand slam victory?
- could it happen anywhere or is it a Cardiff specific thing?
- was this 'news' widely publicised as it seems to have passed me by?
Madeye-Smiley

Flowa .... you're a woman ! .... 'nuff said .... I will bring the Brilliant & Supercalafragisticxpealadocious Grand Slam Video to the EoSB for U to watch Laughing Laughing Laughing

(Viewing is compulsory for all EoSB delegates ... Laughing )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BernardC, great reporting (with certain sporting exceptions) Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BernardC, Shocked compulsory Puzzled ...we'll see rolling eyes wink
snow report
BernardC, I can only dream of skiing that sort of stuff Shocked Perhaps it is safer for me just to meet you at the botton of La Roche in a certain nice bar for a beer and leave you crazy lot to the scarey steep and deep stuff Toofy Grin Laughing

Quote:

Brilliant & Supercalafragisticxpealadocious Grand Slam Video

Whats that all about then, did somebody win someting Laughing Perhaps something to do with rambling texts in the night Laughing
latest report
Good to see Bernard did eventually recover from drinking that case of St Emilion
(that is what he said, isn't it? Madeye-Smiley )

Just 5 days and I'll be out there too. . . . . snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy