Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Absolute beginner, considering Whistler

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I've never been skiing before (other than a few hours indoors), and we are thinking of going in March 2010 for our first ski holiday.

Any advice would be more than appreciated, but I have some specific questions that I'm interested in. Oh, we live in the UK, by the way.

1. We are thinking of going to Whistler, and it looks expensive, so any thoughts on where to stay and how to get a good deal would be great. We are a couple, so won't be able to get any group discounts or anything.

2. As the 2010 Olympics are on at this time, is it a good idea to go then, or will we be priced out of the market? We expect to go in the week in between the olympic and paralympic activity.

3. What kind of costs can we expect for eating out, or in, when we are there?

4. Can you point me to any good websites that can give me any information, thus saving you having to type it all out

Really, anything else you can think of would be great - I'm feeling a bit lost with all the things to consider.

Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can't help but feel that trying to ski at Whistler around the Olympics period will be an unrewarding experience (crowds, expense etc)

I'm probably going to be in that part of the world for the Olympics (in-laws live in Vancouver) and my current plan is to watch some events at Whistler and keep the skiing separate, probably doing it either in interior BC or Washington State
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowHeads paul2ski.

Whistler would be a great place to learn to ski, but in IMHO you're unlikely to get anything other than an extortionate deal in the week between the Olympics and the paralympics as all the media, teams, etc will still be in town.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

1. We are thinking of going to Whistler, and it looks expensive, so any thoughts on where to stay and how to get a good deal would be great. We are a couple, so won't be able to get any group discounts or anything.

2. As the 2010 Olympics are on at this time, is it a good idea to go then, or will we be priced out of the market? We expect to go in the week in between the olympic and paralympic activity.

4. Can you point me to any good websites that can give me any information, thus saving you having to type it all out

Firstly, I should say that I am a great fan of Whistler and am going there next week...........conversely I am not sure that we would go in 2010, unless we can go before or after the Olympics

1. There is unlikely to be anywhere cheap at that time. Accomodations will likely run from very expensive to frankly ridiculous. Go on here and check out the prices for the time of the Olympics

http://www.alluradirect.com/whistler/

2. Avoid the Olympics. Go later for better weather, (but see below) better prices and fewer crowds

3. You can spend as much or as little as you want as the eateries range from Macdonalds to very good Michelin equivalent places. Assuming a decent exchange rate (ie not now) it is not expensive to eat out compared to the UK. Portions tend to be on the large side so there is always scope for economy there. If you have been to the States it is pretty similar to that.

4. Go to the official website as a starter

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/index.htm

I dont want to dampen your enthusiasm for the trip as I love the place and Vancouver itself is worth a few days but at your stage I would go somewhere closer to home with better weather....sunny weather is not Whistlers strong suit.

The skiing in Whistler is excellent for a large spread of skill levels but especially for the higher levels. As a beginner that doesnt really matter to you as you are not going to be skiing on those slopes. What you want (IMHO) is good snow for the beginner level slopes, good instruction (probably preferably English speaking), good weather (learning in zero visibility will not help you at your stage nor will rain) and a good resort for apres/dinner etc. Whistler can tick all those boxes but the variable is probably weather.

As a matter of interest....why did you choose Whistler as opposed to anywhere else?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I cannot think why I would go to Whistler as an absolute beginner compared to almost any other cheaper location in the world where good quality English speaking tuition is available.

Double this for Olympic year though I have seen rumours that VANOC are making such a hash of it there are dangers that there will be no skiing tourists in Whistler most of the winter so there may be deals to be had closer to the time.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As someone who went to Whistler after about 10 years skiing in Europe, I think you'd be better off choosing a smaller resort otherwise you'll be in danger of a) not getting the best out of Whistler and b) never being able to find anywhere comparable for future years.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
paul2ski, you like flying then Paul? no other reason to go there just fo the skiing...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
you like flying AND sitting on lifts in the rain? wink There are loads of lovely places in Europe for beginners - especially in Austria. Closer, cheaper, easier, prettier.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
paul2ski, I'd echo what all the other posters have said. Like P10DW, we went to Whistler for the first time a couple of Christmases ago and had a fab trip, but I cannot remember WHICH mountain I was skiing on on what day...it was all a bit bewildering. However, not sure what it would be like with the whole Olympics circus going on, UNLESS that is what you are wanting to experience.

Pick somewhere nearer which will be less horrendously expensive IMO. If it is the thought of going to somewhere where there won't be a language barrier. If it is a first week too, would suggest somewhere closer, a resort with other things to do...but that's another thread, and you haven't replied yet...

snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We normally go to BC for a few weeks in February every year, but in 2010 we're avoiding not just Whistler, but any ski area within a few days (road) travel of either Whistler or Vancouver. Based on experience of the Turin Olympics, prior to the events there will be lots of pistes/areas closed for installation of all the facilities. Immediately prior to and during the Olympics you won't even (as I understand it) be able to drive from Vancouver to Whistler. Other ski area nearby are likely to be being taken over by teams trying to practice/train in similar climate/conditions to Whistler.

Unless you are going specifically to watch the Olympics, go somewhere else.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks guys - the replies are much appreciated. The odds aren't looking in Whistler's favour, at least during the Olympics.

So, in answer to the questions that have been asked.....

I think my other half has gone for Whistler because it seems to have a good reputation, but mainly because of the other activities you can do there, including dog sleds and snowmobiles. The Vancouver add on is also an idea that she has become quite attached to.

So, is there anywhere you can think of that would offer similar additional activities (particularly dog sled and a City add-on), still with great scenery and good for beginners. We aren't at all averse to other languages, but I guess english-speaking would be a bonus for our first trip.

Cheaper than Whistler would be better too. Am I asking too much? I sense the answer is yes wink

Cheers
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

including dog sleds and snowmobiles.

Even our tiny little French resort has dog sleds and snowmobiles. There are loads of Austrian resorts within easy reach of, say, Salzburg which is a lovely city (especially if you like Mozart wink ). There are loads of other possibilities too. I don't think you're asking too much at all - there are heaps of places which are going to have other activities and be cheaper than Whistler. As for English speaking, if you go any of the many resorts with lots of British visitors, you'll have no problem at all with language.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Austrian resorts close to Salzburg - agree.

Sella Ronda resorts not far from Venice, too. (and even closer to Innsbruck and Verona). Great scenery and food, very good beginner skiing (eg in Corvara).

Several Swiss and French resorts not too far from Geneva.

Don't know about dog sleds, though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paul2ski,

If you're set on Canada, try Banff. I spent my beginner years skiing in Banff, before venturing to Whistler (from where I'm writing this post), simply because I didn't think I was a good enough skier to get the most out of Whistler.

- I'm almost certainly still not, but now I can confidently attempt terrain that I'd bever have dreamt of and this is down to first-class Canadian ski instruction. You'd certainly get this in Whistler, but you'll also get it in Banff, and you won't get the feeling that most of the interesting parts of the mountains are inaccessible to you. Also, climatically speaking, March is probably the best time to visit Banff.

I'm thinking of returning to Banff next year, simply because of the whole Olympic thing.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Even as someone who loves Whistler, and adores Vancouver, I do have to agree with the other comments here. Definitely don't go during the Olympics (unless that's why your going - which it doesn't sound like), and I probably wouldn't recommend it for a beginner either, simply due to the cost to ski such a tiny proportion of the mountain.

pam w, as ever, makes some good suggestions (even if her rain gibe was a bit below the belt... Laughing ) - I'd love to do the Salzburg city-add-on myself!

If you would quite like to visit Canada, then Quebec could be an awesome option. The city itself has a selection of small ski resorts a stone's throw from the centre - a great opportunity to learn in pleasant surroundings and try a couple of resorts over a week or so. The French-Canadian city itself is simply sublime too - extremely attractive and lively. The place exudes culture - unlike most of France itself...

I've yet to find any Quebecois person who doesn't speak better English than most people from Somerset... Little Angel

...though it can be a bit tricky to get them to speak English - still a little funny about that chap James Wolfe imposing British rule on them. Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

...though it can be a bit tricky to get them to speak English - still a little funny about that chap James Wolfe imposing British rule on them.

Just make sure they know you're not Canadian. You're instantly forgiven for not speaking French.
latest report
pam w wrote:
you like flying AND sitting on lifts in the rain? wink There are loads of lovely places in Europe for beginners - especially in Austria.

... which are low and have as great a chance of rain in the village as Whistler.

sorry pam w, but i felt the urge complete your post Smile

I'm personally avoiding Whistler around the Olympics, as I think it'll be busy and expensive (I've been to two, and will wait for London, I suspect). But it will also be huge fun, as Olympics are more enjoyable than ever imaginable. So for a beginner, it might just work fine if you're into the Olympic party scene too - I'd love to go, but will be skiing somewhere else Smile
snow report
Quote:

which are low and have as great a chance of rain in the village as Whistler.

is that really the case? The lower Austrian villages are "continental" in climate; I understand that Whistler's could be described as "maritime". We rarely hear from visitors to Austrian villages who get a lot of rain (though they may suffer from a snow drought if there's little precipitation) but there are quite often complaints of rain in Whistler village. I have never been there so am relying on second hand reports - but the skiers I've met who have been to Whistler did complain about rain - in one case, admittedly, because the mother of the family was a non skier. She said it rained every day for ten days. No doubt that meant there were "awesome" conditions up on the mountain, but the kind of constantly dumping, poor vis conditions which will have experienced off piste skiers in ecstasies are, frankly, pretty miserable for beginners and early intermediates.
snow conditions
paul2ski,

Whistler is probably my favourite resort (for all reasons mentioned in this thread) - may I add Canadian friendliness / hospitality as well ...

BUT would still not even think of travelling all that way to learn to ski in an Olympics year (unless you are planning to spend 95% of your time as a spectator) - try and go in a few years when you'd be able to take advantage of the huge intermediate terrain (you won't be able to enjoy stuff such as the Symphony bowl, Peak 2 Creek, Dave Murray, 7th Heaven etc as a complete beginner).

I learnt to snowboard in Zell am See and IMHO should be high on your list :

- picturesque village
- short transfer time (Salzburg)
- relatively small / low beginners area BUT lots of blue runs at the top
- Kaprun glacier proximity (some easy runs) for progressing to a high-altitude / snow-sure environment

Have you considered places like Les Gets in France?

Off to Val d Isere next week by the way - looks like winter's back with a vengeance. Lovely!
latest report
paul2ski wrote:

I think my other half has gone for Whistler because it seems to have a good reputation, but mainly because of the other activities you can do there, including dog sleds and snowmobiles. The Vancouver add on is also an idea that she has become quite attached to.

So, is there anywhere you can think of that would offer similar additional activities (particularly dog sled and a City add-on), still with great scenery and good for beginners. We aren't at all averse to other languages, but I guess english-speaking would be a bonus for our first trip.

Cheaper than Whistler would be better too. Am I asking too much? I sense the answer is yes wink

Whistler during the Olympics will be vastly crowded and very expensive. Certainly not the time or place to learn to ski. Personally I'd go to a small European resort for a first time trip. But if you really want the Canadian experience, then Banff would be a much better choice at that time. Plenty of things to do there as well.
snow conditions
Quote:

looks like winter's back with a vengeance

franga, it is! Val D'Isere should be fantastic next week. Have fun. Been out for 4 hours this morning - super snow first thing though a little heavy - it was better yesterday. Now starting to snow again, and looks like it means it. Another 20 cms, maybe, and we're only at 1550m. Have fun. snowHead
ski holidays
Out of curiosity, I looked at the Whistler website (http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/index.htm) last week for lodging in Jan (before the Olympics). They seem to have a lot of attractive deals runnings (3rd night free sort of things). I suspect they are worried that nobody will be visiting outside of the actual Olympics, and some of the comments here would support that. I'd say go ahead and look into it (but maybe not as close to the games as you're looking at now). You might be surprised. Or not, but nothing lost in looking into it.
snow conditions
paul2ski wrote:
Hi,

I've never been skiing before (other than a few hours indoors), and we are thinking of going in March 2010 for our first ski holiday.

Any advice would be more than appreciated, but I have some specific questions that I'm interested in. Oh, we live in the UK, by the way.

Really, anything else you can think of would be great - I'm feeling a bit lost with all the things to consider.

Thanks in advance.

welcome to snowheads:sH:
Whistler is a great place and we have been 3 times in the last 4 years.
Instructors have always been good for us and friends
It is a bit pricey so be aware of that and avoid going in January as it is really really cold snowHead
As for 2010 I think it will be mad there then so either go later or earlier
As for Vancouver it one of our favourite cities and a stop over is well worth it. ideally 7-10 days at whistler and then 2-3 in Vancouver
any other help let us know
snow conditions
I live in Whistler, and run a blog on the snow conditions which can be found here http://whistlerblackcombsnowreport.com/
So check it out for info on Whistler, and feel free to contact me with questions.

paul2ski, For YOU, I would suggest choosing somewhere else to 'learn to ski'. In a normal year I would not say that, Whistler has lots of beginner terrain and some great instructors. However,with the Olympics on Whistler mountain (which is the best mountain for learning), it will surely interfere with your skiing.

For people who are decent skiers already, I would suggest you DO think about coming to Whistler - here is why :

1. Historically skier visits for Olympic host resorts have been 30% lower than normal years, combine that with the economy, and next year will be dead (except for the village, which will be busy with media/security/athletes etc), the mountains themselves will be empty. This applies to the whole season - not just during the Olympics
2. Don't believe that? then contact the IOC (International Olympic Committee) and ask them why they pay host resorts 'compensation' money for loss of sales of lift tickets.
more proof - read this forum post again - EVERYONE thinks it is going to be busy and will go elsewhere instead
3. Blackcomb mountain is NOT used in any way for the Olympics - (I suppose the bobsleigh track is on Blackcomb, but I am talking about the ski operations) so it will be completely available for skiing.
4. The night life will be insane - lots of parties and activities are planned - and since most people will be day trippers from Vancouver, anyone 'smart/brave' enough to actually be here will be rewarded with an experience of a lifetime.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

which are low and have as great a chance of rain in the village as Whistler.

is that really the case? The lower Austrian villages are "continental" in climate; I understand that Whistler's could be described as "maritime". We rarely hear from visitors to Austrian villages who get a lot of rain (though they may suffer from a snow drought if there's little precipitation) but there are quite often complaints of rain in Whistler village. I have never been there so am relying on second hand reports

I suspect this is simply the fact that people who go to Whistler who don't experience rain don't post about 'how it didn't rain'. I'm on 4 days rain in roughly 70 at Whistler over a decade, most of those not in mid winter and hence at times when rain is more likely. Had about that many rain days in 45 days in Austria in a few different places - none low lying, BTW. It does rain in Whistler, no doubt, and bad weeks do happen, but it does rain in Austria too. And bad weeks happen.

I know it doesn't ever rain in France at resort level, of course wink
snow report
wbsr, Any truth in the rumour that anyone staying in Creekside will be screwed over for a couple of months as access to the gondola is made "event only"?

Also what steps are being taken to ensure that the regular immigrant labour is available for the season as housing and work during actual events is squeezed?
latest report
Quote:

I know it doesn't ever rain in France at resort level, of course

Depends on the level, and the geographical placement, of your resort. Our apartment is at 1550m and in 7 seasons we have certainly had some rain during the ski season but actually not too often. A few days each season. The main resort is at 1650m, and it rains there slightly less often. It's absolutely horrible when it does - there's nothing as depressing as rain in a ski resort, so I'm glad it doesn't do it too often.

It seems that even the big fans of Whistler agree that it's not the ideal place for a complete beginner, especially when the Olympics are on. So there's no disagreement on the fundamentals here! Neither would I suggest places like Tignes, Val D'Isere or Chamonix (or loads of other French places) for a beginner. Our resort is ideal, but only for people who speak French, so I'm not suggesting that either. But there are loads, and loads, and loads of resorts which would fit the bill well - including Zell am See, as suggested above, which sounds just right.

Of course the key factor for beginners, which maybe nobody has mentioned, is the availability of top quality tuition either by native speakers of English or local instructors who have more than the usual smattering of English. Quality of tuition is far more important than choice of resort - and top quality lessons in somewhere like Val D'Isere, or Les Deux Alpes, would be much preferable to indifferent lessons in a pretty little Austrian (or French) village.
latest report
paul2ski, what everyone else is saying. Choose somewhere smaller - preferably ski-in ski-out - for your first skiing. Whistler is good - but it can wait a bit.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stoatsbrother wrote:
paul2ski, what everyone else is saying. Choose somewhere smaller - preferably ski-in ski-out - for your first skiing. Whistler is good - but it can wait a bit.

unless you want the full on Olympic experience, as it seems likely Blackcomb will be quiet and decent for learning
snow conditions
pam w,In my 10 days in Whistler (late January) I had 8 days sun and a couple of days cloudy with some snow.

BTW Remember this?

P10DW
I've spent about 15 weeks in LC at 1140 over the last few years, between mid-December and mid-
April. Until this year I have had rain on two days, and one was in December. I guess I am just lucky then.
Thu 13 Mar, 08

pam w
yes, I'd say you've been very lucky. I have had far more rainy days than that at 1500m, and not very far from you as the weather flies. But I've been here more weeks - so maybe it's me who's lucky. Thu 13 Mar, 08
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I know it doesn't ever rain in France at resort level, of course

Depends on the level, and the geographical placement, of your resort. Our apartment is at 1550m and in 7 seasons we have certainly had some rain during the ski season but actually not too often. A few days each season. The main resort is at 1650m, and it rains there slightly less often. It's absolutely horrible when it does - there's nothing as depressing as rain in a ski resort, so I'm glad it doesn't do it too often.

Rain??? France?? Sacre bleu. I don't think I've heard anyone say it rains anywhere apart from Whistler on this forum. Shurely shome mishtake Smile And at 1550m - scandalous. I'd move to Whistler - don't see much rain there at 1550m Smile
snow report
There was a freaky temperature inversion when I first arrived in January though. It was about -12C in the village and about +2C at the peak. Shocked No rain though...
snow report
Quote:

I don't think I've heard anyone say it rains anywhere apart from Whistler on this forum.

then you've been reading very selectively. If Whistler resort was at 1550m, rather than less than half that altitude, no doubt it would rain less frequently.
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
wbsr, Any truth in the rumour that anyone staying in Creekside will be screwed over for a couple of months as access to the gondola is made "event only"?

Also what steps are being taken to ensure that the regular immigrant labour is available for the season as housing and work during actual events is squeezed?

No idea, but

I expect the Creekside gondola to be 'Olympic business' only - it makes sense since there will be no runs on that side of Whistler mountain open to the public.

The seasonal workforce is going to be a struggle - firstly housing is scarce in a good year.
Also, with the current financial conditions, I have heard the Canadian government is going to be stricter about foreign workers. They want to limit the unemployment numbers however possible.
Obviously it doesn't really matter about who the workers are, you still need to house them. WB has enough (or close to) housing for their staff, and since they are expecting a quiet year, and not employing as many people, they will be OK. Other businesses around town will probably suffer the most, as they rely more on people who find their own accommodation.

I hope that all those people who own accommodation in Whistler, and are 'holding out' for a big spender get burnt. I know some people whose landlords are only renewing leases to people who agree to vacate the place during the Olympics - obviously people are not signing. So, during the season, I predict there will be a lot of places empty - with heaps of people with no where to live. Its a pity you can't tell rich, greedy people what to do.

WB has plans in place to find work in the Olympics for people it can not give hours to (during the games). eg ski school will be minimal during the games, but they need the instructors for the rest of the season. So many instructors have already been lined up various jobs for the games, they actually seem to be getting the 'decent' positions (and obviously lucky to get PAID positions - since so many are volunteer jobs)

Whistler resort is at 660m, combine that with being coastal, and we get a lot of rain in the village (normally - this year only a few days so far). Even yesterday it was snowing in the village.

One last thing - Whistler is GREAT for beginners , but I recommend to stay away during the Olympics because it is Whistler mountain that is good for learning NOT Blackcomb. Blackcomb is a terrible mountain for beginners IMO.

Personally, I am really looking forward to next year - should be really quiet lift lines, big parties, exciting atmosphere and hopefully lots of POW Smile
snow conditions
I would come to Alberta. Centre around Banff and there are lots of add on activities and restaurents. March is a good time- its usually warmer and has quite abit of snowfall

Gryph
snow conditions
paul2ski,imho forget about whistler for the time being,or any other top resort for that matter..it would be like playing your first match at wembley instead of the local park..or your first round at augusta instead of the council course..where do you go from there!? i would start in bulgaria or andorra..somewhere where you can learn to ski/board,eat drink and sleep inexpensively..and which will still provide you with that inexlicable feeling you get when you are in the mountains..i just think that whistler and similar resorts would be wasted on beginners i.e. you would only see a fraction of the 1000's of acres available to you as you would be on the low slopes for the most of the hol..wait till you get comfortable on your planks then expand your horizons..also,if you dont know any different,bulgaria and andorra would still be a great holiday..btw,you are just about to embark on the greatest experience of your lives..skiing is THE best sport in the world..enjoy!!
ski holidays
paul2ski, First skiing holiday? Talk to Easiski, a brilliant instructor who will help you acquire the skills you need. Details on http://www.easiski.com/
Les 2 Alpes in France is a fabulous place for beginners. I saw snow mobiles while I was there but don't know about dog sledges. I agree with snowpatrol, try somewhere closer to home while you are a beginner. Loved El Tarter (Andorra) but Les 2 Alpes (France) was even better.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 3-04-09 14:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I vote for Les Arcs. I learned to ski there 23 yrs ago and survived the experience.
It's top of the list of top 10 beginners ski resorts in the article linked to below.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2007/nov/19/skiing.top10

Extra curricular activities like sleigh rides, dog sledding, paragliding, etc are catered for.

http://www.lesarcsnet.com/

And its near to a reasonable town in Bourg St Maurice to which the Eurostar goes direct from St Pancras during the ski season.
latest report
Hi!
This is my first post as I haven't had anything to contribute until now!
I went to Whistler as a complete beginner (apart from an offputting 3hr indoor group lesson in the UK) mid February 2008. My husband and I had lessons on 3 days out of 6 with 2 really good instructors, one English and the other Canadian, and I came back - to quote my daughter - "obsessed with skiing!" The weather was good and we had a brilliant time.
The only downside for me was that a week was not long enough, especially as it is such a long flight from the UK. We are hoping to go again in 2010 but this time in April as I will be able to go for longer then. Any comments on what conditions, facilities might be like then would be appreciated.
Just for the record, I have nothing against European resorts as my "obsession" led to trips to Saas Fee in August last year and February this year!
snow report
Iski,

Welcome to snowHead snowHead - the home of the obsessed.

Don't leave it too late in April, as it can get warm, and this makes the lower slopes sticky and slushy (depending on how low you are). For the lowdown on conditions, you can't do better than follow wbsr's, blog (linked at the bottom of his posts).

Mid-April is usually the time of the Telus ski & snowboard festival - one big party in the village, and the opportunity to see some of the world's best freestylers strutting their stuff.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy