Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Valmeinier - Anyone ever been??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I have just managed to snaffle a deal to valmeinier for £220 7 days Half board!!!

Has anyone actually been there to give me any insight to the place.

Thank you in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Its a quiet little place linked to valloire, good skiing in a pretty big and snow sure area (most skiing above 2000m although gets the sun). Village is newish but built in savoyard style so you wont feel as thou you have landed on moonbase 1. Cheap compared to the mega resorts thous still pretty pricy compared to normal uk prices. Not that much nightlife, the 2 main bars are No Comment, which has a good DJ and good Mojito's, attract the non french visitors, and the 3 devils, which attracts more locals. There is also an ok bar in the bowling alley.... the night club is called Brasilia, but outside of new years eve its never busy. Take a trip over the mountain and have lunch in chez fred in valloire, its a really nice old fashioned bistro.....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi JimSearle.....

Thank you for your post.......sounds exactly what I am after..... just need a nice break from work !!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Puzzled Went there years ago 1800 quite boring with few unfriendly estaurents. Ski in Valloire - much better. Access by flying bucket from 1500 (run down to 1500 v icy in mornings). Lots of uncrowded reds in Valloire nice black back to Valmenier side. V sunny when we were there.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm looking at a family trip to Valmeinier next Easter, but can't come up with much clear info on transfers to resort.

Could any previous visitors or Maurienne locals help with advice?

Ideally I'm looking at coach transfers from Lyons or Chambery but any advice, links etc would be greatly appreciated.

I have read every old thread related on Valmeinier but haven't found transfer info.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mobsta007, Can just say that seems to be a nice price, but the skiing in Valloire is better, I prefere to pay a little more and stay in Valloire
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
freeheelskier wrote:
mobsta007, Can just say that seems to be a nice price, but the skiing in Valloire is better, I prefere to pay a little more and stay in Valloire
Hi freeheelskier,

Sorry, the thread is an old one I revived to ask a question about resort transfers.

As you've stayed in Valloire, how did you get there? I'm hoping someone can tell me about coach transfers - I believe Valmeinier Tourist Office run transfer coaches to Lyons but I've seen nothing on their web site and had no response to my email.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For public transport try this:
http://www.maurienne-tourisme.com/fr/il4-maurienne_p24-acces-et-situation.aspx

Obviously, it depends how many are in your party but consider car hire at the airport. This may work out reasonable - especially as it will give you access to all the other resorts and the fantastic value Maurienne Sans Frontiers ski pass:
http://www.maurienne-tourisme.com/fr/il4-maurienne,bougez_p38-ski-maurienne-sans-frontieres.aspx

More Maurienne Madness:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=63581
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
altis wrote:
Obviously, it depends how many are in your party but consider car hire at the airport. This may work out reasonable - especially as it will give you access to all the other resorts and the fantastic value Maurienne Sans Frontiers ski pass:
http://www.maurienne-tourisme.com/fr/il4-maurienne,bougez_p38-ski-maurienne-sans-frontieres.aspx

More Maurienne Madness:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=63581
Thanks, Altis,

Only 3 in the group so far, and the other 2 are leisurely cruisers as opposed to mile hungry skiers, hence choosing Valmeinier.

This is the annual "JimG2009 takes his nephew skiing" trip, I always try to plan this before the old boys' trip.

If I can't come up with a coach transfer it may have to be car hire or ,more likely another resort with better transfer facilities.

Maurienne Sans Frontiers sounds like a great idea for a lads trip though.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh yeah, have lived and worked as an instructor there for the last 5 years!

There is a bus that runs from St michel de Maurienne which is on the same train line as lyon. At lyon airport jump on the coach to Lyon Part Deux then train to St Michel and Bus up the hill.

Thats how i get there in the summer when i go to see my family.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JimG2009, You had no respons on your mail,, have you try to write in french?,, sorry to say, but its not all the time any response if you write in english, Just a french way to be, I live in france, so I all the time when we go to the alpes or ryrenees we drive, so I dont realy know about transfers, try to send a mail to Chambery Airport accueil@chambery-airport.com There you will have respons I hope,, if not send me a PM, and I will se if I can help U,,
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

had no response to my email

JimG2009, the tourist office is probably closed right now. You could try phoning. But I agree with the earlier comments - Valloire would be better (we stayed in Valmeinier but did prefer skiing in Valloire and the trek over there was a bit of a pain, though it's a long time ago now and my memory is hazy.

However, though the winter transfer timetable is now finished the altibus website suggests they DO go to Valmeinier:
http://www.transavoie.com/index.aspx?cp=EN
When we went it was coach from Dover - with Snowcoach. Very good value all round, with 7 kids sharing one small "dorm" and all getting free equipment etc
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
this was their timetable for Valmeinier last year http://www.transavoie.com/PDF/StJeanValmeinier.pdf
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you all for your comments.

jjcjames, I think it's your parents' apartment I'm looking at renting. How long does the trip from the airport normally take?

Freeheelskier, yes I did email them in French.

Pam W - last year's timetables are a huge help. At least I know we can train and bus it.

A lot of people clearly rate Valloire higher than Valmeinier, for skiing or nightlife, so that's food for thought.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JimG2009, Drive is 2 hours train/coach/bus is 3 from lyon. If you can fly into chambery half that.
latest report
jjc james wrote:
JimG2009, Drive is 2 hours train/coach/bus is 3 from lyon. If you can fly into chambery half that.

jjc james,

Many thanks.

Incidentally, the url on your signature link should be .co.uk
snow report
I would check the train timetable from Paris to St Michel de Maurienne as not all the TGVs call at Lyon. Chambery airport might be a better bet followed by train from chambery to st michel and local bus, or hire a car from chambery airport and drive to the resort.
snow conditions
JimG2009, merci Little Angel
snow conditions
It seems you have got your answers but just to confirm, I was at Valloire the other year and transfers were fairly easy from Chambery.

We got a taxi from the airport to the train station (20€), takes about 15 minutes, and then jumped on the train to St Micheal du Maurianne. Trains run about every hour and take an hour for the journey. At St Micheal train station there is a little Altibus ticket hut, with buses going to Valmeinier and Valloire. I think they take about 40 minutes to wind up the mountain to resort. Price was 10€ single or 15€ return. Make sure you book your return leg when you buy your outbound, or a least a good few days before resort departure day, as they do get full. Taxis were hard to come by at St Micheal, although the tourist office (opposite the train station) were very helpful. I had a couple of friends who flew from Geneva, and the train journey was about 3 hours, but otherwise easy. I would imagine that Lyon would also be fairly easy.

I really enjoyed Valloire skiing, each little mountain is surprisingly varied and the pistes are lovely and quiet. No lift queues either. Valloire is prettier, so definitely worth a visit for food or shopping at the market square (sundays and thursdays I think).
snow report
Very good
Not busy (apart from the school kids!)
snow report
Quote:

It seems you have got your answers but just to confirm, I was at Valloire the other year and transfers were fairly easy from Chambery.

We got a taxi from the airport to the train station (20€), takes about 15 minutes, and then jumped on the train to St Micheal du Maurianne. Trains run about every hour and take an hour for the journey. At St Micheal train station there is a little Altibus ticket hut, with buses going to Valmeinier and Valloire. I think they take about 40 minutes to wind up the mountain to resort. Price was 10€ single or 15€ return. Make sure you book your return leg when you buy your outbound, or a least a good few days before resort departure day, as they do get full. Taxis were hard to come by at St Micheal, although the tourist office (opposite the train station) were very helpful. I had a couple of friends who flew from Geneva, and the train journey was about 3 hours, but otherwise easy. I would imagine that Lyon would also be fairly easy.

I really enjoyed Valloire skiing, each little mountain is surprisingly varied and the pistes are lovely and quiet. No lift queues either. Valloire is prettier, so definitely worth a visit for food or shopping at the market square (sundays and thursdays I think).

Thanks for that, that's been a huge help.

The Valmeinier Tourist Office has now replied re Lyons airport transfers. If anyone's interested they say they do 3 coach transfers each Saturday at approx 42 Euros each way, with timetable to be confirmed in Autumn.
snow report
I loved Valloire; there are 2 lovely long blue runs towards Valmeinier called Combe Orsière and Arméra. As you speak French you may like the following websites www.cybervalloire.com and www.ski-valloire.net . They include information on Valmeinier.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy