Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Annivers Stoke... might be a few pics when all said and done.

Poster: A snowHead
A long weekend in the middle of Mar showed good promise with recent snow falls but the temps started to rise quite dramatically and some of us were left wondering what we would actually get ski-wise. I wasn't too concerned as I knew the aspect of the slopes were favourable and as I had been out in Jan also knew how much snow there had been.....

Oh yes................

Straight into it on the 1st day...

Arno

Kitenski

The slope opens up so we open up....

JT

Big and wide...

Jed

Chris

Synchro......

Arno surveys the hanywork....

and then lunch as there aren't any restro's here...Laughing Laughing Laughing

So the weather wasn't bad either.............

A few more pics to come ... wink

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 20-03-09 14:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A little montage I put on the TGR "Snow For the Euros" thread (sorry for repeats):

A few pics from Zinal over the weekend. No snow for a number of days, warm temps most places, but still pow to be had with minimal effort:

Jed

Arno

Parlor (aka Papa Smurf)

Craig

JT

Jed and Arno putting tracks in a nice couloir

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
link to TGR Arno??
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bottom of this page:

http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21645&page=246

it's pretty much the same as the above
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Awesome! So jealous Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sweet. hopefully can me some of that in the dolomites next week.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice, you guys got much better snow than we have here at the moment.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Very nice.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And on monday, we had this open up............

Come to Papa.......

and that lead to this......

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chris

Ensemble

Huckerby_Smuckerby... wink

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 21-03-09 9:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Still in the Freeride.......

and to round the day off, the Chamois....
all day, no sun....

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lucky boys
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
papasmurf wrote:
sweet. hopefully can me some of that in the dolomites next week.

You're not me by any chance are you?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oooooh that just looks like one big fat gnarly playground - I take it you had the place to yourselves?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gsyfreerider, pretty much.. you don't have to go far to get to these pics.

As we were only there 4 days and we wonderfully entertained as it was.....we had quite a few 'quests' that we just didn't get around to and they will be on the list again next time....might have to commit a week or so tho'..to get even close..

It hadn't snowed for 5 days incidently ....Laughing
latest report
.......Amazing, I love it when you find those shady couloirs and they still have cold smoke in them, I think you've well and truly sold the place to anyone who's seen these pics - doh!
snow report
Gsyfreerider,

maybe...unfortunately...

but there are plenty of better placse to go... all the French mega-resorts for a start...
If you like nightlife and mileage and don't like buses, this place sucks...HUGGEEE... Laughing Laughing wink
snow conditions
JT wrote:

If you like nightlife and mileage and don't like buses, this place sucks...HUGGEEE... Laughing Laughing wink

You need to work much harder on your influencing strategy Laughing
latest report
JT wrote:
but there are plenty of better placse to go... all the French mega-resorts for a start...

That's right, because there's nothing for adventurous off-piste skiers anywhere near any of the French mega-resorts rolling eyes
snow report
rob@rar, I am a big fan of places off the back and spent a nice 3 days there recently with BC....

It would be ridiculous to say there isn't great terrain to find in ALL the large French mega-resorts.. or anywhere else if you look hard enough...which is why I didn't say it...
My main gripe against them is these huge places need huge amounts of people..and they get them.
snow report
JT wrote:
My main gripe against them is these huge places need huge amounts of people..and they get them.

They are certainly busy during school holiday periods, but I don't think they are excessively crowded at other times. Even on New Year's day I found fresh tracks all day with a very short traverse above Villaroger, and I can't imagine the NF Bellecote or the backside of the Aiguille Rouge ever get busy, even in Feb half term?
snow report
Quote:

I can't imagine the NF Bellecote or the backside of the Aiguille Rouge ever get busy, even in Feb half term?

rob@rar, Of course they don't but the bottom lifts and pistes can be rammed... as they were when I was there in Jan...
snow report
It's true - small resorts suck, best if no-one ever goes there Smile
snow report
JT wrote:
rob@rar, Of course they don't but the bottom lifts and pistes can be rammed... as they were when I was there in Jan...

Where was it rammed in January? I can't remember having to queue for lifts at that time of year in Paradiski or the nearby big resorts.
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
It's true - small resorts suck

I don't think that, I enjoyed my visit to Val d'Annivers. Just trying to counter the anti-big resort snobbery that we get around here from time to time... Wink
snow conditions
I go from 1 extreme to the other, Zinal with the boys, La Tania with the kids. Both resorts have their + and -'s.....
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
I go from 1 extreme to the other, Zinal with the boys, La Tania with the kids.
I'd bet if you switched to Zinal with the family and La Tania with the boys you'd find appropriate terrain to keep everyone happy.
ski holidays
I've done plenty of off piste skiing around La Tania, and found great off piste days after a storm, however I wouldn't take the kids to Zinal. Not enough easy long runs for them, no easy trees for them to play in, & too many drag lifts.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:
... however I wouldn't take the kids to Zinal. Not enough easy long runs for them, no easy trees for them to play in, & too many drag lifts.

I suppose that's right. I do recall commenting that there was a lack of easy terrain in Zinal & Grimentz. That makes me wonder who does ski in Val d'Annivers: it doesn't seem to get tracked out very quickly, so presumbably doesn't attract large numbers of hardcore skiers like Chamonix does; but equally it's not brilliant for family friendly skiing. Is there a large proportion of visitors to VdA who like steepish piste skiing, but not heading too far into the off-piste?
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
kitenski wrote:
... however I wouldn't take the kids to Zinal. Not enough easy long runs for them, no easy trees for them to play in, & too many drag lifts.

I suppose that's right. I do recall commenting that there was a lack of easy terrain in Zinal & Grimentz. That makes me wonder who does ski in Val d'Annivers: it doesn't seem to get tracked out very quickly, so presumbably doesn't attract large numbers of hardcore skiers like Chamonix does; but equally it's not brilliant for family friendly skiing. Is there a large proportion of visitors to VdA who like steepish piste skiing, but not heading too far into the off-piste?

There's plenty of piste skiing in a "traditional" euro resort, not mega-linked ski connurbation, sense. It would be brilliant for families who don't need to tick off every km of piste in the week and feel cheated if they have to repeat things. Germans seem to like it but its not 10km long blue runs. There's the 4 valleys next door if you want all that.
ski holidays
rob@rar, Lifts you can get around to a degree... the home runs were packed. Now, you might end up at Grand Central Station and have a choice of lifts to escape on..providing you don't mind juggling these things but the congestion into these places can be fraught and I am not someone who gets worried about what I ski, so much...but masses of piste skiers concentrate the mind and even though I don't mind queues as such, hordes of ants do my brain in.. I just don't need it anymore.

Many pistes converging into one is a feature of the States and I didn't rate it there, ...and these lift hubs are a featrure of many French mega-reosrts and with these hubs come many pistes and many skers.

kitenski,
Personally, I think many long drag lifts are the saviour of the place, but I do say, personally... wink
snow report
Quote:

Is there a large proportion of visitors to VdA who like steepish piste skiing, but not heading too far into the off-piste?

Maybe..... one of the most startling comments we heard was that the local Swiss....and by that I mean maybe Rhone Valley local...loved St Luc for the sun and piste skiing and put it only second to Cran Montana for the best skiing around.
Now, even with my limited knowledge of the area...and I mean limited.... that really made us laugh and it may well be the typical local mind-set..

And that is not the strangest thing I have come across.....
snow conditions
Very nice indeed..Mega resort or mini resort, Spot X or Spot A(2) - Powder is Powder and its all good! snowHead
snow report
After the storm we are getting right now looks like I will be back there at the end of the week. Very Happy
latest report
parlor, lucky you!
Well worth 15mins of skinning and traversing from the top of the Zinal freeride zone. Lots of nice lines accessible
ski holidays
Arno,

Next year will have to see if we can get to the top and see what is over the other side.....

I think we will need a week..and I am up for that...

parlor, not f****** funny at all... wink
snow conditions
JT, looks very nice indeed. I think you made a better call for the weekend break.
latest report
OK...I'm SERIOUSLY offended....and you guys with the photos know why!! Smile
snow report
rungsp wrote:
OK...I'm SERIOUSLY offended....and you guys with the photos know why!! Smile

I've seen a good one of you... think Kittenski has the link...
snow report
rungsp,

I am not sure I have any skiing photos... and mine are long distance anyway so it might be hard to pick out you from Craig and Kitenski as you were all in black....

I still have a few to sort tho...but didn't take any in the PM...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy