Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warm temps - How's the snow \ slopes holding together in your resort?

Poster: A snowHead
With reportedly high temperatures throughout the western alps over the last few days, how are the lower altitude resorts holding up?
There are many reports of good conditions over the past weeks, and there appears to be a good snow base in most areas, certainly higher up. However even Val Thorens web site reports 8°C at 2,300m and 3°C at 3,000m for Wednesday 18th March with similar temps over the previous days.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi,

I live in Niederau in the Austrian Tirol and we have still got excellent snow despite warm temperatures lately. We have had huge amounts of snow regularly over the season and are now basking in sunshine! More snow is forecast for friday so we should be ok for the rest of the season.

Cheers, Carolyn
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Montalbert Just fine ..........28 degrees on my balcony in the sun on Monday and beautifully groomed piste outside the lounge window right now
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
redrunmarcus, and due a massive fall of fresh powder, .....................what date do you go home? Toofy Grin wink
30th March ?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It was 7-8º in Courmayeur last Friday/Saturday. Snow was still great on the upper runs but getting a bit potatoey on the lower runs by afternoon...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Depends a lot on the aspect - is making FAR more difference than altitude at the moment. Found superb snow down in the Arly Valley 1000 - 1500m a couple of days ago - it helps that the slopes there are shaded by trees part of the time, but they're also north facing. Our run down to the chairlift, by contrast, which is at 1550m but south facing, is slushy by 11 am! But there's plenty of snow depth. The last day or so have been slightly less warm, I think, but absolutely glorious. I sat in the snow for a picnic yesterday but covered my knees with snow to cool them down - they are swollen and sore; too much skiing.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boredsurfing, 29th.........................................
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Depends a lot on the aspect - is making FAR more difference than altitude at the moment. Found superb snow down in the Arly Valley 1000 - 1500m a couple of days ago - it helps that the slopes there are shaded by trees part of the time, but they're also north facing. Our run down to the chairlift, by contrast, which is at 1550m but south facing, is slushy by 11 am! But there's plenty of snow depth. The last day or so have been slightly less warm, I think, but absolutely glorious. I sat in the snow for a picnic yesterday but covered my knees with snow to cool them down - they are swollen and sore; too much skiing.

snowHead Lets hope it stays that way....managed to secure a cheapy, very last minute break down there. Will be in Praz for a week from 28th March

Let it snow.........and let me hope i remember how to ski after 2 seasons without any Shocked

David
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BMF_Skier wrote:
With reportedly high temperatures throughout the western alps over the last few days, how are the lower altitude resorts holding up?
There are many reports of good conditions over the past weeks, and there appears to be a good snow base in most areas, certainly higher up. However even Val Thorens web site reports 8°C at 2,300m and 3°C at 3,000m for Wednesday 18th March with similar temps over the previous days.

Most of Austria is still looking pretty good, and with a cold spell on the way.

Ski Welt is still reporting 110cm at base level - about 60cm more than the long term average for the 3rd week of March, and 240cm at the top, with the forecast for daytime temps double digit negative in the next few days and more snow on Friday. I arrive there on Saturday, so have been watching eagerly Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Way too much snow to melt quickly but the temps can take a toll...

We found decent snow a week after the last fall but timing was pretty crucial.... as was the aspect..
I am sure there will be some pics up soon... but get big skis that can make a nonsense of changeable conditions Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm off to Risoul On sunday and temps look like they are soaring there. Monday(our first day skiing) shows forecasted temps to be at +8 degrees!! better get the suncream ready Shocked
But agree with above it's all about the aspect of the slopes, and the snow base layers are great so will take a lot to mess things up. Risoul has 130cm on bottom runs and 230cm up top, I read that some snowfall is forecast tomorrow and friday in southern alps resorts which should help things for the hot days that follow. snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Off to La Rosiere on Fri......... any reports welcome Little Angel
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm hearing from Les Gets that all is great there - blue skies and loads of snow, even lower down, but a bit soft in the afternoon Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Montalbert looking good snowHead This being almost the lowest skiable point!

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 18-03-09 12:16; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Was in the hills last thursday to sunday (12th - 15th) in the Mont Blanc area.

Started first day with nice softish snow to be found in most places. High temps made this much more difficult to find on day two, and by the 14th I was waiting for things to slush up in the afternoon before being able to really get stuck in.

Good fun on slushboards though - just take plenty of wax.
ski holidays
double post

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 18-03-09 12:16; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, Wrong valley.... should have been about 50-60 kms west....
latest report
Quote:

28 degrees on my balcony

Thermometer in direct sun?
snow report
JT wrote:
Mosha Marc, Wrong valley.... should have been about 50-60 kms west....

Curses!
ski holidays
Pretty good in Paradiski..odd brown patches lower down but the pisties do a great job overnight of keeping it in good shape..

Here's a photo of La Ros, showing how it still looks pretty good above the resort level, but lower levels are taking a pounding although this is a south-facing resort..

snow conditions
bertie bassett, That snowline is getting a bit close to home... Shocked Shocked Excellent pic!
ski holidays
Very good here in Wengen. A bit slushy in places in the afternoons, but coverage is fine:

Nursery slope at 1300m

snow report
telford_mike wrote:
....A bit slushy in places in the afternoons...

That's no way to talk about your fellow snowHeads........ Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Schuss in Boots wrote:
bertie bassett, That snowline is getting a bit close to home... Shocked Shocked Excellent pic!

Cheers - I reckon come Monday it'll be looking a bit sicker than that..

In Les Arcs, here's a photo of one of the black runs (comborciere) which is getting slushy in the arvo but the snow is still saying on the hill - probably doesn't get a massive amount of direct sunshine as not a s-facing slope.

ski holidays
skinutter, Praz sur Arly is closing on 1 April - but you should be OK up here. It's not going to stay as warm as this - promise! snowHead
latest report
-25c to -45c in Big White last week - no chance of a melt any time soon Shocked it's been a (relatively) poor snow season there this year, with some gladed runs still having marginal cover, it did snow over the weekend and that freshened things up.
snow report
holidayloverxx, brrr! And I thought Tignes was cold when we were there in Dec!
snow conditions
Warm temps?, I'm off to obergurgl sat and was getting excited that the forecast temps were up to 0 deg, they had been down to -21 at times this week.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ollski, Obergurgl a lovely place stayed at the Eidelwies last year (Forgive the spelling ! ) anyway going to bed now off to Morzine in the Morning Very Happy
ski holidays
bertie bassett, that run always sticks in my mind, it was my 1st none even pisted black, it took ages to get down but did I feel good after Very Happy
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
skinutter, Praz sur Arly is closing on 1 April - but you should be OK up here. It's not going to stay as warm as this - promise! snowHead

Oh? I've seen the 4th and the 12th mentioned as the closing dates but not the 1st April.....or am I being a fool Laughing

Not that it matters...just to be in the mountains is enough for me and thats why we drive, quick blat up the D902 to Saisies Toofy Grin
Are you there until the end of the season btw?
snow conditions
Morzine is sunny today as it has been for the past 6 days or so, forunatley the snow is holding up really well. Was skiing yesterday, a bit hard pack in the morning (no bad thing) and softening up a little lower down in the afternoon. For mid march it's awesome, still loads of good cover everywhere. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
skinutter, I got it from here http://www.annuaire-ski.com/Praz-sur-Arly/station-de-ski/enneigement-ski-pistes-meteo_80.html but it may be wrong. Yes, we're here till the bitter end - see you up here? Is the whole family coming?
ski holidays
Will do, would be great to catch up again. The whole family yes, including the wee one Laughing her first trip so should be interesting, you wouldn't imagine the fun we had trying to insure her for the holiday Shocked

PM if you are missing anything desperately food/drink wise from home and we can always pick it up before we travel.

Cheers
David
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy